Jeremy Vine discusses drones

Meluk has kindly provided the link to the JV show on the bbc website on his (locked) thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0435d0c

Not sure if the repeat on demand will be available for non UK users but give it a try, it should he quite interesting as Jeremy Vine is an effective presenter and is good at playing the devils advocate role.

(the repeat normally takes a few hours to turn up on the website)

You beat me to it pault, didn't notice you had posted while I was typing away on my phone :)

Should be talking about it in 5/10mins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite an interesting debate. Some inaccuracies predictably, particularly regarding the legal height but the discussion and phone-in was reasonably balanced. The main thing that struck me is that the public is innately suspicious of UAVs and there were several references to invasions of privacy and the peeping tom potential. Some guy even said that if he had his shotgun he woud have shot one down !

Everyone seemed aware that they carried cameras which suprised me and fortunately there were limited references to the potential danger from a rogue aircraft. There was an overall impression given that it was illegal to use them in congested urban areas and there were mixed messages given by the so called 'experts' that JV talked to.

All in all it is worth a listen and gives some idea of the current zeitgeist surrounding 'drones' (this now seems to be the universal name used for UAVs)

It starts about 100 minutes in (very approximately) and lasts 15/20 minutes - try it !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0435d0c

Interesting debate in short if you put a camera on then you fall into a very very much stricter category, no flying other than in a rural area away from buildings and people and if you do need to take a picture or video you need a £2000 licence. Thats cleared that up.

GB Phantom said:
Interesting debate in short if you put a camera on then you fall into a very very much stricter category, no flying other than in a rural area away from buildings and people and if you do need to take a picture or video you need a £2000 licence. Thats cleared that up.

Yes, I think I sort of got that impression but unfortunately someone insisted on trying to talk to me when I was listening - grrr :) I cannot remember anyone making the distinction about photography for pleasure vs profit.

If that was the impression that most people got (need a licence to photograph) then it will not do much to help DJI 's sales ! It sounds and is very selfish (I've got mine ;)) but that will not bother me - the less people who fly them then the longer it will be until some idiot causes a nasty accident and then we will get the stricter legislation that is inevitable at some point in the future (I am a miserable sod !)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers