Jello Effect

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good ND Filter to use on the GoPro Hero 3 to reduce the jello effect which occurs on bright days?

Thanks in advance!!

ladykate said:
Jello effect is usually caused by vibrations. Isolate the camera and balance the props (if needed).

I was under the impression the Jello Effect was due the high shutter speeds when shooting in bright sunlight. By adding a ND filter you are able to reduce the shutter speed, and thus the jello effect. (i think)

I'm flying a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H2-3D gimbal which I have not had any trouble with, but only on a few occasions in bright sunlight.

I suspect that it so a bit of both. When high frequency vibration come close to what the shutter speed is then you start to see jelly as we say in Australia. Imagine a vibration at 60 cycles per second bumping a camera that is taking a shot each time it is bumped(ie 60 frames per second)

Ozzyguy said:
I suspect that it so a bit of both. When high frequency vibration come close to what the shutter speed is then you start to see jelly as we say in Australia. Imagine a vibration at 60 cycles per second bumping a camera that is taking a shot each time it is bumped(ie 60 frames per second)

If the interval of the vibration frequency is exactly the same as the shutter speed, I think it'll be negated and you'll get perfect picture. Whereas the worst case scenario is if the interval is half the speed of the shutter and if your shutter catches the vibration at its peak and lows..

Well... I guess the original question (where can I get an ND filter) is to shop Amazon. However, I don't get jello effect when pointing into the sun or on bright days with my setup. Not saying it doesn't happen - just isn't happening to me. Jello effect is usually caused by vibrations - I base that on the 4 zillion posts on here about it. I have no doubt there can be other reasons, too.

I do think the filter is a good idea - especially a UV filter. It protects the lens that is just hanging out there ready to get scratched by a tumble on the ground and it cuts haze and defines the sky better (edit: was just informed that the 'cutting haze' thing doesn't apply to digital stuff so it would be more of a lens protector).

I DID get slight jello on my P1 until I isolated the camera with a kit.

ladykate said:
Well... I guess the original question (where can I get an ND filter) is to shop Amazon. However, I don't get jello effect when pointing into the sun or on bright days with my setup. Not saying it doesn't happen - just isn't happening to me. Jello effect is usually caused by vibrations - I base that on the 4 zillion posts on here about it. I have no doubt there can be other reasons, too.

I do think the filter is a good idea - especially a UV filter. It protects the lens that is just hanging out there ready to get scratched by a tumble on the ground and it cuts haze and defines the sky better (edit: was just informed that the 'cutting haze' thing doesn't apply to digital stuff so it would be more of a lens protector).

I DID get slight jello on my P1 until I isolated the camera with a kit.

Any recommendations for the UV filter? I have some SRP filters, but they are way toooo big for flyin...

I found this at AMZN: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HXA ... UTF8&psc=1

CunningStuntFlyer said:
skeeter said:
I have some SRP filters, but they are way toooo big for flyin...

Why too big for flying?

They've worked fine for me.

Good point. I thought (from some other post a while back) that they would bung up the Zen balance....hmmmmm... Now that I think about it, that little gimbal has a mighty tug to it....I wouldn't think it would mess it up, but hey...what do I know...

I tend to Takeoff/Land in a bit of dust and small rocks and don't want to scratch my SRPs....but, they are cheaper than the GoPro!
I'm also afraid they may vibrate off of the camera....again, now that I think about it, they haven't fallen off on my Mt Bike...yet...

So, you've had good experience with the SRP and the Zen gimbal?

thanks!

skeeter said:
Any recommendations for the UV filter? I have some SRP filters, but they are way toooo big for flyin...

That would work. Go to Amazon and search on GoPro lens filter. The problem with the 37mm conversion is that once you put a polarized filter on the adapter, you get slight vignetting in wide mode. Everything is a trade-off.

ladykate said:
skeeter said:

That would work. Go to Amazon and search on GoPro lens filter. The problem with the 37mm conversion is that once you put a polarized filter on the adapter, you get slight vignetting in wide mode. Everything is a trade-off.

Much obliged...ordered the little UV lens...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers