I've used search and need more info - bird side antenna mods

If you want to mod your bird I will be more than happy to let you borrow a set of my dipoles.

Is your 5.8 side boosted as well? Are you running 1 or 2 amps on the 2.4 side?
Didn't Dirtybum say he was a bigger fan of stock bird vs. dipoles?

I believe he uses them on his P2 and P3 standard...not on his adv/pro. His 40,000+ run with the standard had birdside done. But with the antennas out now you really dont need to do birdside. Thats why I wont do it, because my TX side antennas are more than enough to get me really far if needed!

I believe he uses them on his P2 and P3 standard...not on his adv/pro. His 40,000+ run with the standard had birdside done. But with the antennas out now you really dont need to do birdside. Thats why I wont do it, because my TX side antennas are more than enough to get me really far if needed!
l agree, its gotta make troubleshooting a pain in the rear too when u have both modified

Reactions: Procharged97
BTW is there an OFFICIAL (safe) order to power up the amps because of the spike? Some power amps then rc and opposite for others. l don't want too guess!

BTW is there an OFFICIAL (safe) order to power up the amps because of the spike? Some power amps then rc and opposite for others. l don't want too guess!

I've heard there is no real order, although some may disagree.
Me personally; I power on remote first and then amps.
Power down I do amps first and then controller.

There is still debates about that lol!!! I still power amps then rc and its been completely fine..there are others that power rc then amps and still fine. I have not seen anywhere yet someone burning there setup up with amps being turned on before or after rc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Reactions: Ohiowoodsman
Pretty much sounds like we're safe either way BUT l think there's may be more possibly better arguments to support powering rc first. Procharged what's your personal reason too power amps first?

Thats just how i was told originally and stuck with it because of what was being said at the time. Basically that with the amps off its closed and the "power spike" from the tx would back feed to the tx if amps were off and fry it or fry the amp.. lol thats why i was like alrighty amps first! and now its just routine doing it that way. But from reading about that type of stuff now the tx doesnt put out enough power when first turned on to fry the amp when its off. I have put my power meter on tx and looked for spikes when powering on and nothing major. So thats my story lol. Im sure theres plenty more people with different opinions. If you have been powering rc then amps and have had no problems, stick with it! If you power amps then rc without problems, stick with it!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using PhantomPilots mobile app

We've been discussing this "what order?" thing for the better part of a year and have yet to have a single amp or transmitter burn up regardless of what order we turn them on. Not a single person has reported a problem. So I think we can conclude it doesn't matter. :grinning:

If distance is your thing, I think making the mod to phantom is like beating a dead horse. I would rather try fixed wings or foamies with 1.3G vtx

It seems the near term DIY I'm considering and researching is relocating the 2.4 patch antennas bird side.

If I understand correctly, the bird side 5.8's in the legs work pretty well as is; and the area for improvement is with video reception. I do notice I lose video first and always have problem getting it back. Would moving the patch antennas to front and back help with this? I rarely fly sideways. Or does the patch antenna broadcast horizontally to the sides in which the horizontal signal from antenna crosses its path for connectivity?

Trying to understand this handshake.
I agree with your thought here. I've always had the worst wifi signal from the front of the drone. Can go out without much of an issue, and as soon as I do a 180° and head back the signal starts cutting out until I get much closer to home. Take a look here on a flight I made today it's a perfect example of that. Just look at Sensors/Signal Map and General/Notifications HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters Did you ever try to relocate those wifi patch antennas?

Last edited:
It seems the near term DIY I'm considering and researching is relocating the 2.4 patch antennas bird side.

If I understand correctly, the bird side 5.8's in the legs work pretty well as is; and the area for improvement is with video reception. I do notice I lose video first and always have problem getting it back. Would moving the patch antennas to front and back help with this? I rarely fly sideways. Or does the patch antenna broadcast horizontally to the sides in which the horizontal signal from antenna crosses its path for connectivity?

Trying to understand this handshake.

The 'handshake' is standard TCP/IP. lots of info written/documented on it

I agree with your thought here. I've always had the worst wifi signal from the front of the drone. Can go out without much of an issue, and as soon as I do a 180° and head back the signal starts cutting out until I get much closer to home. Take a look here on a flight I made today it's a perfect example of that. Just look at Sensors/Signal Map and General/Notifications HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters Did you ever try to relocate those wifi patch antennas?

Nice route and looks like a decent signal to me! Must have been a beautiful flight!

I never did relocate the patch antennas or made any birdside mods.
Unfortunately my personal life has called me to report to duty and I've not had any airtime in about two months. (Except for one flight last month at my inlaws to get some fall foliage footage - man that was beautiful).
My wife and I are expecting another baby and the pregnancy is not going to smoothest, and to top that off, I am nearing the test days for two really hard professional examination/licensing tests I have to take for work. Needless to say, while I'm not working 50-60hr weeks, I'm studying and being a dad/husband. Sleep is an afterthought and a function of bare necessity.
The air isn't going anywhere, and I'll be back. My batteries are in storage mode just waiting for me to top up and take off!

IMG_0576.JPG
This is what I did useing the RC antennas from DJI controller.

Reactions: Procharged97

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj