I've used search and need more info - bird side antenna mods

I just may have the next best idea. :)

One thing I was wondering was if we can change the wifi "handshake" through code to be asynchronous instead of synchronous. May act more like lightbridge and would possibly not drop so easily and for so long?

I had this idea as well.
I am beginning work on this pseudo-lightbridge project. I am initially thinking the wifi modules may be physically unable to adapt to different handshaking protocols, but unsure. Bird and transmitter both have one, probably same darned chip in each. Has anyone identified the chip yet? If we know the identity of the chip or module , I can determine the possibility of changing it. Investigation continues....

Reactions: longdog
I had this idea as well.
I am beginning work on this pseudo-lightbridge project. I am initially thinking the wifi modules may be physically unable to adapt to different handshaking protocols, but unsure. Bird and transmitter both have one, probably same darned chip in each. Has anyone identified the chip yet? If we know the identity of the chip or module , I can determine the possibility of changing it. Investigation continues....

We're on the same thought path. Although I was thinking it would be more of a code change/suppression. Like comment out or ignore the requirement for the acknowledgement signal. The result would be essentially lightbridge like. I don't know enough about lightbridge to mimic it, but it sure sounds like a **** good idea.

Keep me and the forum posted on your project though. Your probably more capable than seeing this to fruition than I.

i think we are limited by protocol we're used which is WIFI which need handshake transaction.
I think as long as we are using this protocol there is no option left expect handshake transaction

My very own 5.8 RX side antenna mod.

Plik_001.jpeg Plik_002.jpeg Plik_003.jpeg Plik_004.jpeg

I had this idea as well.

You might be interested in reading this thread. It should answer all your questions.
Phantom 3 Standard range mod , let's do it together...

i think we are limited by protocol we're used which is WIFI which need handshake transaction.
I think as long as we are using this protocol there is no option left expect handshake transaction

I understand that's the standard wifi protocol; what I am questioning is a way to make a non-standard wifi connection. To me, lightbridge seems to be just that.

I'm really surprised that you can get this kind of range on the drones standard battery pack. I would be concerned about running out of juice to power the motors so far from home!

I'm really surprised that you can get this kind of range on the drones standard battery pack. I would be concerned about running out of juice to power the motors so far from home!

I think at a point many on this forum do have that problem. I was worried when I did my 13000 ft flight because I flew out to the Atlantic and was not sure what type of return headwind I may have faced. Thankfully I made it back with 44% left on my battery. This included doing RTH for about a mile or so because I lost video. When I picked up visual I brought it in manually.
I flew out though with mild headwind at a speed of 28-29 mph. My retirn with RTH was 22mph and when I got in sight to go manual I was going about 34mph - 36mph.

@longdog i believe dbs moved the 2.4 patches from his vision to the fron of the bird and it made a big difference. If you go to the dbs mods website he has info or vid on there about it. If you use microstrip/patch antennas on the tx side you should use dipoles on the birdside..if you use helicals on the tx then clovers on birdside. If you use helical make sure rh or lh match the birdside

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using PhantomPilots mobile app

@longdog i believe dbs moved the 2.4 patches from his vision to the fron of the bird and it made a big difference. If you go to the dbs mods website he has info or vid on there about it. If you use microstrip/patch antennas on the tx side you should use dipoles on the birdside..if you use helicals on the tx then clovers on birdside. If you use helical make sure rh or lh match the birdside

Thanks that's all great helpful info! And I will definitely check the DBS site.
If I understand correctly, the DBS tx antenna is a patch, right? That means I should use diapole on birdside. And stock the P3S has patch on the rx side which does not seem optimal. I should instal dipole?

I understand that's the standard wifi protocol; what I am questioning is a way to make a non-standard wifi connection. To me, lightbridge seems to be just that.

You're correct. However I still don't get what you are trying to do then. Sorry if I replied with wrong info then.

You're correct. However I still don't get what you are trying to do then. Sorry if I replied with wrong info then.

I'm trying to hack the wifi protocol handshake to ignore the handshake. It will in theory result in a connection that breaks less and re-establishes quicker after a signal drop.
I want to enable the wifi signal to behave asynchronousley instead of synchronously.

@longdog, the dbs panel is a patch antenna (microstrip) and was made to work with the stock birside antennas. The difference using a dipole on the bird vs stock patch is radiation pattern and dbi..patches are more directional and dipoles are omnidirectional. There are a lot of great write ups out there and ill see if i can find a link for you. But if you currently have the dbs panel and want more range just get a couple amps!! Or you can make some antennas too. They are fairly easy to make. I just finished a few sets of dipoles

Can you link the videos your referring? I checked the site and can't find the one your talking about.
Thanks!!

I'll see If I can find it. I think it was on his youtube channel...i'll check in a little bit lol youtube is blocked on my work cpu

@longdog, the dbs panel is a patch antenna (microstrip) and was made to work with the stock birside antennas. The difference using a dipole on the bird vs stock patch is radiation pattern and dbi..patches are more directional and dipoles are omnidirectional. There are a lot of great write ups out there and ill see if i can find a link for you. But if you currently have the dbs panel and want more range just get a couple amps!! Or you can make some antennas too. They are fairly easy to make. I just finished a few sets of dipoles

Haha, I already have the amps. :) love them!!
What I don't love is losing my video a mile or two away and not getting it back until I'm really close. I know I still have control the whole way, it's just the video in looking to improve on.

Any thoughts?
Maybe I should run dipole antenna since its omni directional?

I thought about making some myself.
Would you share some of your designs?
If I understand, it's really just copper wire. If I pick some up from lowes, I can make my own antenna to fit the underside of the bird sufficiently. My hope would be to make a strong signal that works in all directions so I am not having to fly sideways or something like that.

If you want to mod your bird I will be more than happy to let you borrow a set of my dipoles.

Is your 5.8 side boosted as well? Are you running 1 or 2 amps on the 2.4 side?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.