I've sent my P4P back

Reaction score
By any means this is not a rant or moun of any sort.
I have posted this on DJI forum as well.
I just want to share my experience with P4P that I've bought as a P4 replacement, and as I thought will be a seamless transition from one to another.

I placed the order on Thursday last week in one of the shops in UK, received the bird on Monday.
As standard... charged the bat. , done the FW update, calibrated all and noticed strange noises from the gimbal itself.
My previous P4 has some gimbal noises that was corrected by firmware update so my P4P has them as gimbal was initialising. I thought ''No biggy, still works''

The weather was great that day so I went to perform maiden flight. this was the first time I've noticed ''High interfierence warning'' flashing every few seconds.
It was weird as I was using the same spot with my P4 for over a year but ok...its just a message I said to myself. This is not affecting the way it fly ( I was hoping ).

I read the forum before I pulled the trigger and I knew there will be High Wind Velocity warnings, and they were.

I've also noticed that when I arm my motors, and Phantom increase the throttle twice before take off ( zoom, zoom effect ;) ) it performs diferently than my P4 and other P4Ps that I've saw. After those standard 2 throttle bumps the amount of constant throttle given by the bird was really low, and I mean really... To the point the only thing you could hear was the fan inside the aircraft not the actual motors or proppelers.

In the air it performed differently as well. Even that he didnt have to fight the wind, the sounds it made was not contstand but quick pulsing one. It wasnt so stable as P4 that I had as well. You could tell its feeling unsettled while airborne
smile.gif

On the next day Ive done a different flight in a different location and I've noticed it doesn't fly straight. Instead of flying to the subject, it drifts so you have to make a curve flight path as you correct the bird in flight.

Then on the second flight there was another thing, preaty obvious horizon tilt and horizon drift. ( there is so much about it that its pointless to explain what everyone know already about this hidden feature ;) ) Long story short I've spent 2 days trying to correct it by Cold IMUs calibration, gimbal calibration and compas calibration in differnt locations. nothing was helping.

Reading the forum in the same time I found the post about that Noisy gimbal ( this is the video posted by another owner but issue is the same :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
). This is exactly what I had whith mine and as I know this cannot be resolved by firmware update + everything that I've experience already I decided to return it to the store yesterday. After 3 days of owning my P4P.

The store tried to force me to contact DJI as I did and they wanted me to send it back for repair. But I thought to myself WHY repair?
This is brand new item from the store not from DJI website and it didnt performing as it should straight from the box. I've contacted the store again and explained my situation and this time I received an RMA number.

So my bird is on its way back to the store for them to check it.
Im dissapointed, angry and sad. I really loved my P4 and now Im regreting I sold it so quickly.
I dont blame anyone ( nor DJI or the store ).
My anger is undirected ;)
I love to fly and take pleasure from it... unfortunatelly P4P didnt gave me any of that

Sorry for the long post.
The question is. Did I had a really bad example or those Issues are common and they appear randomly on every P4P ? I'm a bit scared that when I will get a new one, I will receive it with brand new set of issues.

I wonder if the gimbal is/was vibrating and sounding weird or it was just the vibration that is causing the fear?

The high interference thing on 2.4 GHZ seems to be a quirk of DJIGo 4.07 and certain Android tablets. Switch to 5.8GHZ and it disappears. Roll back to 4.05 and everything is fine again.

I reported this to DJI, they said they were aware of the issue and to continue flying using 4.05

I wonder if the gimbal is/was vibrating and sounding weird or it was just the vibration that is causing the fear?
Sorry erickwill, Im not quite getting what you wrote. When you banking right with the bird it makes a scratching noise and the camera was physically vibrating causing vibrations visible on the live feed. Specially noticeable during IMU calibration when you place the phantom on the side.
Roll back to 4.05 and everything is fine again.
Thats really useful, thank you !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic