I've never updated my firmware

Reaction score
I've never updated my firmware and from all of the flyaway stories i hear, I am terrified to. I don't have any solid reason to update it, so i've never bothered to read how to.

I am sure I am going to get lectured for this, but most flyaway stories start with "I updated my firmware"

Am I really missing out on anything by not updating?

this has been kicked around in many threads on this site, here's a bit from one of my other posts on the topic:
Release notes of the version 2 firmware include:
-Ground Station support (insinuating it didn't support it before?)
-optimized compass calibration (never a bad thing)
-improved battery detecting for more precise warnings (good thing)
-limited maximum descending speed (helpful)
-fixed bouncing problems after landing (I had this myself before I upgraded)
-Zenmuse Z3-3D gimbal support (didn't have it before?)

Version 3 didn't add as many important things, but still it seems to have (from the release notes)
-improved Zenmuse 2D and 3D support in assistant software
-compass data error notification (wouldn't you want to know?)
-gimbal and camera identification via central board firmware
-flight restricted areas near some airports

that last entry in Version 3 has a lot of people pissed off because some of the restricted airspaces seem arbitrary but I don't have any problem with the phantom trying to restrict me near airports big or small.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of the flyaway problems immediately after upgrade have to do with not following ALL the procedures exactly correct. For example you're supposed to upgrade your RC firmware FIRST using the RC assistant software (and calibrate), THEN upgrade the P2 firmwares and calibrate everything again. failure to do that can cause issues between the RC and P2 hence (I'm guessing) the flyaways.

there's also a lot of people like myself not having any trouble at all with latest firmware we just aren't as vocal

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20