I've about had it with my new P3A

I've downloaded

Will the firmware update to the RC take as long as it did for the aircraft? Also is the battery update a must do? What about the camera update? I'll probably end up spending 40 hours total on this. And it still might not fly. :(o_O
I just wanted to confirm that you are trying to load the FW for the advanced, which you are.

Are you using a PC or MAC?

The RC is updated via the GO app. It won't take to long and generally goes without issue.

I just wanted to confirm that you are trying to load the FW for the advanced, which you are.

Are you using a PC or MAC?

The RC is updated via the GO app. It won't take to long and generally goes without issue.

It's done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as I can tell I'm back in business. I must have spent at least 12 hours (maybe more) but finally have the aircraft and RC updated. Litchi and DJI GO seem to both be working. What a nightmare. To all of my fellow pilots here on Phantom Pilots you have no idea how much I appreciate your input and advice. It's been a learning experience that I hope I never have to repeat. Unless something screws up I can take my stepson out tomorrow and show off the bird and then film some at the beach next week. What a relief. Time for a few beers and some aspirin to get rid of my headache. Thanks again to everybody. I love this forum!

It's done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as I can tell I'm back in business. I must have spent at least 12 hours (maybe more) but finally have the aircraft and RC updated. Litchi and DJI GO seem to both be working. What a nightmare. To all of my fellow pilots here on Phantom Pilots you have no idea how much I appreciate your input and advice. It's been a learning experience that I hope I never have to repeat. Unless something screws up I can take my stepson out tomorrow and show off the bird and then film some at the beach next week. What a relief. Time for a few beers and some aspirin to get rid of my headache. Thanks again to everybody. I love this forum!
That's great Pounder! Have a wonderful time with your stepson, try not to show off too much.

What do you think the problem was?

That's great Pounder! Have a wonderful time with your stepson, try not to show off too much.

What do you think the problem was?

I think it started initially with trying to update the firmware. Somewhere during the process I had a glitch. The app told me I had to upgrade so I thought I had to. Going to 1.5 from 1.4 something went wrong. I believe is was not having the never version in the root directory of a clean drive. I'll probably never know for sure. I finally went back to the basics and started from zero. I wiped the card again and went ahead and installed the 1.6 version. In trying to update the RC without success I copied the firmware to a clean flash drive and plugged it into the back of the controller. The link from the gimbal/controller to the RC didn't seem to be working. The upgrade to the RC from the flash drive worked. Holding my breath I went through the usual flight routine. Everything worked. I tried the Litchi app, closed it and tried the DJI GO app and both seemed to work. It's dark and I'm thirsty. I'll do a few test flights early tomorrow and then I'll know for sure that's everything's working but I'm feeling good about it. Thanks again to the Phantom Pilot's members that stuck by me in all of my ignorance. Maybe one day I can pay it forward.

One other thing with regard to the micro SD ....not only do I delete files, I reformat the card!

I was sharing with the gentleman that in my experience the lost phantoms ive had w/out a external gps tracker were never recovered with help via that last seen tool on the app!
It simply only marks the last place there was a signal not necessarily where the bird goes down! So fast foward to using a tracker and ive recovered (3) not where i lost reception but where they actually ended up! So tracker!crashed!recovered!

Reactions: sonof40
If you format the SD card with the GO app, it will create two folders (DCIM and MISC). It is OK to leave those on the card while updating.

Then, as everyone here says, download the latest ZIP file from the DJI website, and copy the .bin file to the root directory on the card, right alongside the DCIM and MISC folders.

Place the card into its slot on the Phantom, and power it up. Then leave it alone for a long time! It can take longer than expected to finish. It sounds like its done a couple of times, but it isn't.

WetDog's tip is right on!! Wait for the little light above the gimbal (not the lights on the arms) to go solid green.

If you format the SD card with the GO app, it will create two folders (DCIM and MISC). It is OK to leave those on the card while updating.
What creates the login folder?

I was sharing with the gentleman that in my experience the lost phantoms ive had w/out a external gps tracker were never recovered with help via that last seen tool on the app!
It simply only marks the last place there was a signal not necessarily where the bird goes down! So fast foward to using a tracker and ive recovered (3) not where i lost reception but where they actually ended up! So tracker!crashed!recovered!

I've lost one and it hurt. If I'd lost three I would give it up and take up knitting. I probably wouldn't be worth a crap at that either but it would be less expensive. :):)o_O I flew three successful missions today after fighting firmware screw-ups for two days. I've got my stepson hooked. He's in his early 20's and his wife was excited over the video I filmed. The video was terrible but with some editing I might can salvage something. Everybody that witnesses what is possible with these drones is suddenly drawn in without realizing the learning curve and expense. I pass along plenty of warnings but also try to encourage people. I just tell them "It's not as easy as you think." Pretty **** honest answer if you ask me. ;)

One thing nobody mentioned throughout this thread was that while upgrading the A/C firmware, make sure the controller is OFF, and you are NOT connected between the controller & the A/C. If the A/C is connected to the controller, it won't do the upgrade.

One thing nobody mentioned throughout this thread was that while upgrading the A/C firmware, make sure the controller is OFF, and you are NOT connected between the controller & the A/C. If the A/C is connected to the controller, it won't do the upgrade.

Good info. I think one of my biggest problems that kept me down for a few days was that I updated the aircraft but not the controller. A stupid rookie mistake. I didn't realize that batteries and cameras also have updates. I really appreciate the folks who spend the time offering advice here and those that put in so much time on YouTube tutorials.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl