ITS UPDATE TIME (AKA ISSUES)

Reaction score
I hate it when DJI comes out with a new update. Im always the unlucky one that has trouble updating it whether it freezes, or the bird just goes crazy, its about that time again. 4/7/16 DJI released an update for the RC, aircraft and camera. The RC was easy to update since its all done on the controller HOWEVER the whole SD card thing with extracting the file using a mac is a NIGHTMARE.,..... so here it is, i downloaded the zip file, double clicked on it, my mac unzipped it into a BIN file. I then transferred it to the SD card via USB cable to the phantom. I dont have my card reader right now. anyways the BIN file shows that its on the card but the bird isnt making those beeping sounds and updating.

I have some clues,

a) I must use my card reader to transport it to the SD card
b) I must extract the BIN file to another format

any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks fam

If you opened the folder, found the .bin file and put just that file on your card then that is correct. You don't want or need the folder, just the .bin file inside

Bin file should be at the root of the sd card. That means outside any folder. Also the bin file name should be correct. Many times users download twice and then unzip or unzip two times. That creates a bin file but file name gets appended with numbers. That file doesn't work. That's the DJI way of working.

Anyway if you extract the right bin file on the root of the sd card and switch on the drone, update starts with led flashing red green on gimbal. Update is complete when led turns solid green. It takes about 10-25 minutes. Once it's done, it creates a txt file on SD card which shows the result of update.

If you have RC v1.6 the. You definitely need AC with 1.8.80

If you have RC v1.6 the. You definitely need AC with 1.8.80
Hello, it seems like quite a few flyers having trouble with the new update (1.8). Have you updated? if so, what has changed? I don't really want to update mine because everything is working fine.

Yes I updated on the day it was released. I do it for a reason.

This is the first FW where RC and AC use encrypt signals. It's claimed to have better noise immunity.

I noticed improved GPS locks.

You don't have to upgrade if you are happy with the current FWs. I believe that DJI is trying to offer a better solution to us via updates though many things are hidden and surprise us sometimes. This is their culture, we can't help.

Bin file should be at the root of the sd card. That means outside any folder. Also the bin file name should be correct. Many times users download twice and then unzip or unzip two times. That creates a bin file but file name gets appended with numbers. That file doesn't work. That's the DJI way of working.

Anyway if you extract the right bin file on the root of the sd card and switch on the drone, update starts with led flashing red green on gimbal. Update is complete when led turns solid green. It takes about 10-25 minutes. Once it's done, it creates a txt file on SD card which shows the result of update.
I downloaded one file, double clicked on it and my mac went from ZIP to BIN. the file name is called P3X_FW_V01.08.0080.bin I then attached my P3 to my computer via USB from the port located on the camera and dragged that file into the SD card without any folders. I have done this 3 times before, the only thing different is that I used a USB cable instead of putting my SD card in a card reader and transferring it that way. What do you think? Thanks for your help

I downloaded one file, double clicked on it and my mac went from ZIP to BIN. the file name is called P3X_FW_V01.08.0080.bin I then attached my P3 to my computer via USB from the port located on the camera and dragged that file into the SD card without any folders. I have done this 3 times before, the only thing different is that I used a USB cable instead of putting my SD card in a card reader and transferring it that way. What do you think? Thanks for your help
1. You can definitely drag a file to SD card using a USB cable, wait for time to get it fully transferred to the card. Its a 25MB file, might take little time depending upon your computer.
2. Switch Off P3.
3. Takeout USB cable.
4. Switch on P3.

That should work.

Use the DJI GO app to format the SD card inside the drone to make sure you have it set the way the drone expects.

Make sure you have downloaded the correct .bin file for your drone.

Then copy the .bin file to it via a card reader or a via USB cable to the drone.

Follow these instructions to the letter:

P3 Firmware - HOW TO: Install Phantom 3 firmware

1. You can definitely drag a file to SD card using a USB cable, wait for time to get it fully transferred to the card. Its a 25MB file, might take little time depending upon your computer.
2. Switch Off P3.
3. Takeout USB cable.
4. Switch on P3.

That should work.

I did exactly what you mentioned..
oh and i forgot to tell you, im using this SD card the phantom doesnt really like. I get a message saying "slow sd card"... although I am still able to save footage and havent had issues. I have the original 16bg SD card somewhere. You think thats the problem??

ok well I think i made everything worse.

I was able to get the phantom to read the update file and it started to loud. I noticed the beeping changed in pattern so I assumed it was over so I turned it off. I think I aborted it early. Now everytime I turn on the phantom I get constant beeping and no LED lights. I reformatted the card and put the file back on and for now im just letting it beep away while it tries to update again. hopefully it works

No more "updates" for this uav flier for a good long time, the "update" icon yielded a :flushed: reaction.

Yes I updated on the day it was released. I do it for a reason.

This is the first FW where RC and AC use encrypt signals. It's claimed to have better noise immunity.

I noticed improved GPS locks.

You don't have to upgrade if you are happy with the current FWs. I believe that DJI is trying to offer a better solution to us via updates though many things are hidden and surprise us sometimes. This is their culture, we can't help.
Lost gps launching yesterday, it feels good to let the bird know who's boss when it's unsure, thirty seconds before gps was restored. Did ok.

Ok so I reformatted the SD card and put the update file back on it again. Powered the bird on and let it do its beeping while it started updating itself. **** thing was loud and annoying I left it in the garage and let it beep away until it was able to repair itself. I guess all is well now. I will delete the GO app and reinstall it just to be sure everything is updated but for now the phantom is giving me green lights and no "update needed" signs.

Lesson learned, never turn off the bird when it's updating.

Thanks everyone

Ok so I reformatted the SD card and put the update file back on it again. Powered the bird on and let it do its beeping while it started updating itself. **** thing was loud and annoying I left it in the garage and let it beep away until it was able to repair itself. I guess all is well now. I will delete the GO app and reinstall it just to be sure everything is updated but for now the phantom is giving me green lights and no "update needed" signs.

Lesson learned, never turn off the bird when it's updating.

Thanks everyone
Ah, now you're becoming an expert in this arcane field. Once you get the hang of DJI's little idiosyncrasies the process isn't too bad. But it is not for the faint of hard or for persons with reading comprehension difficulties.

Did all that Two diff SD cards...two diff browsers...It wont take the upgrade Funny, It took the upgrade to 1.7..I don't get it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers