It's tasted blood, there's no stopping it now!

Reaction score
Just starting off by saying it's 100% my fault :)

I was draining the batteries a bit and had the phantom taped down to the floor, but only with the motors running on idle.
I hear the remote start to beep.

Oh crap, the batteries are going dead. Ok, let me change them.
Completely forgot about RTH! lol
So now the motors are going full throttle and I can't get the batteries back in the remote! So I'm holding down the Phantom in the center of the body so it doesn't break free and crash into the ceiling.

Everything blanks out with me and I cant figure out how to shut it down. I couldnt even think about the battery button lol And since I was holding it in the center without much leeway to move, I couldn't do anything. Finally I think the Phantom realized it wasn't gaining or losing altitude and turned off.

In the process, one of the stock blades got my finger and carved quite a few layers of skin off. Just a flesh wound, but lots of blood from the meaty part lol

Attachments

• IMG_20141113_201338363.jpg
    IMG_20141113_201338363.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 743
****, bro --- that's a nasty cut. Put a couple Band-Aids on it and maybe some Bacitracin cream to stave off the nasty bugs (including Ebola). :eek:

I've always suspected our Phantoms have a hidden bloodlust for human flesh --- now I see solid proof !! :shock:

Consider yourself fortunate you didnt end up like this unlucky fella:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3Hii_LZOc[/youtube]

If you are going to run up your motors indoors with the props attached, keep a towel to throw over it if it looks like it's going to lose its tether.

promocop said:
Aren't there better, safer ways to run the batts down?
Sure, go outside and fly.
You don't need props to run the motors.
Didn't the latest firmware add automatic discharge for long-term storage?

SilentAV8R said:
OUCH!! I collect these photos so when some nimrod says a Phantom can't hurt you I post the photos to say that these folks would not agree with that opinion.

I'll have to dig up the pics of that darn cow that head butt my bird.

Will that go into your collection? :lol:

Dude, I'm joking. Couldn't resist. :p

It seems to me that the most logical and sensible, and least stupid, idea would be to remove the propellers. No?

dragonash said:
Just starting off by saying it's 100% my fault :)

I was draining the batteries a bit and had the phantom taped down to the floor, but only with the motors running on idle.
I hear the remote start to beep.

Oh crap, the batteries are going dead. Ok, let me change them.

You were probably just getting the idle timeout shut down alert from the remote. It is programmed to turn off if you do not touch the sticks for certain amount of time. But before it turns off it starts beeping. If you then just touch any stick, even by tiny amount it will stop beeping and continue working for that same amount of time again. Until it starts beeping again and then you repeatedly remind him that you are still there

When all starts going wrong and that panic sets in, logical thought can go out the window. I can picture you with a look of horror on your face, props whirring at full pelt and you frozen to the spot with you hand an inch from amputation in every direction :lol:

SteveMann said:
Sure, go outside and fly.
Didn't the latest firmware add automatic discharge for long-term storage?

You run the risk of overheating your wifi card when running without propellers due to no circulation

pilsburypie said:
When all starts going wrong and that panic sets in, logical thought can go out the window. I can picture you with a look of horror on your face, props whirring at full pelt and you frozen to the spot with you hand an inch from amputation in every direction :lol:

That and it was definitely like a balancing act as I held it in place with 1 finger at the center of the body while I tried to put the batteries back into the controller with the other hand lol

Didn't go too well ;p

When it did hit my finger, I was like "wow, that hurt more than I thought" Then I noticed the prop splashed some blood around.
A damned crime scene I tell ya!

SteveMann said:
promocop said:
Aren't there better, safer ways to run the batts down?

?

you don't, but without the load it would take a long time to run the batteries down, and with no prop wash the motors would have no cooling. your first option of flying it is the best.

Model flyers have a hold-down test jig at their airfields. It would seem a simple thing to add a set of screw hooks to an old table? Just a thought.

Reactions: JKDSensei

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl