Its posible to use FPV Monitor & Fat Shark googles together?

Reaction score
Its possible to USE: Go pro live feed to FPV Monitor (regular 5.8G) and Googles FPV at the same time?
If yes, how? Please post video links or step by step setup for dummies. Thank you

My Setup:

Phantom 2 Quadcopter
with 6-Channel Transmitter (TX)
4 x Self-Tightening Props
Landing Gear (Pair)

Zenmuse Gimbal for Phantom 2 Quadcopter
GoPro - HERO3+ Black Edition Camera
AVL58 5.8 GHz Video Link Kit
iOSD Mini On Screen Display
Tote Vision - LCD-565 5.6-Inch Portable Color Video Monitor, NTSC/PAL,
Pearstone - RCA Female to BNC Male Adapter
Fatshark googles

Re: Its posible to use FPV Monitor & Fat Shark googles toget

Do you know which model of fatshark goggles you're getting exactly? Usually you can just connect them directly to the video output on the monitor and see the same thing on both.

I have a FAT SHARK RC Vision Systems PREDATOR V2 CE FPV Goggles W/ 5.8 GHZ Transmitter.

I believe all the Fatshark goggles have a composite video-out that can be plugged into most monitors (that have composite-in of course)
(the newer Fatshark models have HDMI I believe).

Hmmm ok, then you're getting 2 FPV transmitters and 2 FPV receivers, which is a bit of overkill.

One Tx/Rx set is the DJI AVL58, which broadcasts your video from the gopro to a receiver on the ground that connects to the 5" monitor on your list.

The other Tx/Rx set is what comes with the Fatshark goggles, along with a 2nd small camera that you can use instead of or in addition to your gopro while flying. If you use the Fatshark Tx (With either the gopro or the fatshark camera), the Rx is built in to the goggles, and then you can use the video output on those to connect to the video input on your monitor and see the same thing on there.

Unless you have a real specific need for two cameras you could just use one or the other, but either way you'll probably need to choose just one Tx/Rx setup...trying to mount two discreet video systems on the Phantom will get too bulky and add unnecessary weight.

Am I missing something here? Why can't you just put one Tx on the phantom and then have 2 Rx (1 goggles, 1 screen) to use apart from each other within range of the Tx. (for that matter why not 4-5+ Rx if you wanted to?). Isn't the Tx just broadcasting a 5.8 signal and if you have a matched (same exact frequency) receiver you can see the video? no wires should be needed.

mcmax20 said:
Am I missing something here? Why can't you just put one Tx on the phantom and then have 2 Rx (1 goggles, 1 screen) to use apart from each other within range of the Tx. (for that matter why not 4-5+ Rx if you wanted to?). Isn't the Tx just broadcasting a 5.8 signal and if you have a matched (same exact frequency) receiver you can see the video? no wires should be needed.

good point,

mcmax20 said:

You are correct. But as a cost saving measure, you if already have a monitor with either a built in Rx or a stand alone reciever, why buy another Rx? It's a simple thing to just buy something like the FatShark Base goggles (without a Rx) and plug the goggles into the video out of the monitor.

mcmax20 said:

You're correct for the most part, but DJI FPV gear doesn't use the same channel range in the 5.8GHz band as fatshark and so that wouldn't work with the setup listed above.

I use Fatshark Attitude SD goggles, and Lilliput 664 screen, both receiving the video signal sent out by the ImmersionRC 250mW transmitter on my P2. I like having goggles and screen independent of each other (no cabling), and with both battery powered there are lots of mobility and social flying situations where I use both and wouldn't want them tethered together. SpiroNet antennas on all three devices.

Kelly

Thanks for the clarification guys, I use a IRC600 so it should be compatible with the fatshark goggles as well. I thought it would be useful to give a friend or someone to watch a monitor while you use goggles - without being tethered to them! :lol:

Of course there is the added expense of extra antennas if you don't have it wired up too

Hi, my 5 cents worth. I have an Immersion 600mw Tx which beams it's signal to both my FatShark predator goggles as well as my BlackPearl diversity monitor. I did some research and found that the Blackpearl had a matching signal range as the Immersion which is really made to suit FatShark goggles. I have a DVR arriving to plug into the monitor to record the incoming signal that has the iOSD data recorded on it for range testing verification purposes and then the unmolested FPV footage from the SD card in the Gopro. All in all a highly satisfactory set up.

I'm a newbie to all of this stuff. I have most of the same stuff that is being discuss here but I haven't thought about goggles yet. I think they might be nice to fly with but I'm not sure why you would ever want both in use at the same time. What am I missing. I guess maybe a friend might want to watch the monitor while I used the goggles. I assume that you can't see out of the googles can you?

I often use both, usually in social situations.

You cannot see with goggles on. You are fully under the hood.

Kelly

hi Kelly,

can you describe your setup or even post a picture?
how did you connect all these with each other?

OI Photography said:
mcmax20 said:

You're correct for the most part, but DJI FPV gear doesn't use the same channel range in the 5.8GHz band as fatshark and so that wouldn't work with the setup listed above.

Yeah but there are diversity receivers that can tune into 32 channel range of most transmitters right? fatshark/immersion makes equipment that will work with DJI/Boscam.

historymaker06 said:
hi Kelly,

can you describe your setup or even post a picture?
how did you connect all these with each other?

HM06,

See photos below of my two setups. Both transmit video on the 5.8GHz and with both I can FPV with googles or Lilliput. Lately I am putting the patch antenna on the googles. I usually only use the screen when others want to sit in the cockpit with me as I fly.

EDIT: photo captions were backward; now corrected

Kelly

Attachments

• IMG_9942.JPG
    IMG_9942.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 1,113
  • P2 Install 17apr14.jpg
    P2 Install 17apr14.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,053

Kelly,

thank you so much for the pic. It helps to understand. ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.