It's official, We are now legal. Woohoo!

From another thread on this forum - I don't know how to link to a specific posting, so here's a waste of bandwidth:

Part 107 rules will create a new class of FAA pilot certificate specific to flight under Part 107 rules. This operator certificate would be obtained with a written test. You can expect to pay a Flight Instructor to verify your citizenship ($50 to $100), and a testing center to administer the test ($150-$300). The Flight Instructor or FSDO needs to verify your citizenship because apparently the Test Center personnel are too stupid to look at your passport to verify that you are a US citizen. In reality, CFI's have received Homeland Security training that makes the CFI acceptable to verify your ID. I don't know why the Test Center personnel couldn't also do this training. After all, these are the same testing centers that administer the written tests for other FAA certifications and Homeland Security personnel. All total, your UAS Operator's Certificate will cost between $300 to $500. None of which goes to the Federal Government.

There is no schedule of when to expect Part 107 final rules to be released and adopted. Late next year would be fast. My bet would be on early 2017, but that is still Bureaucratic light-speed for any rulemaking process that normally takes many years. Section 333 exemptions are valid for one year, so most Section 333 holders will have to petition for an extension at least once. Part 107 rules will make Section 333 exemptions obsolete and the FAA would be unlikely to renew them after Part 107 is finalized.
From what I was told by the FAA Rule making Office in DC (They actually returned my call after a week) it will begin to be implemented late summer of 2016. I don't know if he was just guessing or if that was set in stone but that is what I was told.

From what I was told by the FAA Rule making Office in DC (They actually returned my call after a week) it will begin to be implemented late summer of 2016. I don't know if he was just guessing or if that was set in stone but that is what I was told.
No one knows when the new rules will be finalized - even those inside the FAA working on its implementation. NPRM's normally take many years to go through the bowels of the FAA. The Sport Pilot NPRM took nine years from the first comment period to the effective date, so if the Part 107 NPRM is effective in the summer of 2016, then that would be bureaucratic light-speed- three years. It wouldn't surprise me because of the intense political pressure, but I expect the effective date to be in early 2017.

No one knows when the new rules will be finalized - even those inside the FAA working on its implementation. NPRM's normally take many years to go through the bowels of the FAA. The Sport Pilot NPRM took nine years from the first comment period to the effective date, so if the Part 107 NPRM is effective in the summer of 2016, then that would be bureaucratic light-speed- three years. It wouldn't surprise me because of the intense political pressure, but I expect the effective date to be in early 2017.

Where did you get 3 years?

On Sunday, Feb 15th of this year U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx and FAA Administrator Michael Huerta released a provisional ruling on UAS operations. However, the proposal to add a part 107 to the Title 14 CFR regarding the operations of sUAS aircraft in the NAS had been proposed as early as 2008. In April of 2009 the Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) submitted proposals to the FAA for the integration of sUAS into the NAS.

The FAA has been working on that rule making process since that time.

So, 9 years would be about right IF the rules are codified in 2017. I wouldn't say it was at light speed however.

I said that the Sport Pilot NPRM took nine years from the first comment period. The NPRM for Part 107 was released for public comment for the first time early this year, so 2017 would be less than three years from the first comment period. If you measure the first internal discussion, the Third Class Medical NPRM s going on almost 20-years and it hasn't even begun the public comment period. So, yes, three years from first comment to effective date would be bureaucratic light-speed.

Ok, you mentioned "the inner workings of the FAA" and "inner bowels" and didn't mention the word "public" in the post. Sounded like you were referring to internal discussion on the part 107.

Wasn't the SP NPRM first opened for comment in Feb of 2002 and finalized in April of 2010 so 8 years and two months....not quite 9 years, but who's counting. Still, if the sUAS rules are implemented in 2017 that would be quick for the FAA. We shall see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers