Its Official.......the P4 has made me insane

The problem lies with the H.264 codec, it's great for high compression and internet use, pure crap for editing on a real system. However, that being said, the same problem exists with video shot on GoPros and that footage is used everywhere and accepted by broadcasters. Today you can get away with average quality HD as long as the content is relevant, no one seems to care that it's so highly compressed. Then again, the P4 is a fraction of the cost of the old formula that would consist of renting a helicopter, pilot, and required mounts to shoot broadcast or film quality with. I recall plenty of $8,000 days spent in a Bell Jet Ranger, so the quality of this $1,400 drone is stellar at the price point and ease of use.

Ok to improve the picture quality here are my successful suggestions:
1) Put a ND8 filter on the lens and leave it there. Don't remove it unless you are filming after dark, it should ship with one because the images are not great without the filter.
2) Lower your sharpness setting to -3, your contrast to -2 You can bring all that back in post.
3) Find good transcoder software and convert to ProRes422 BEFORE you start editing anything on the timeline.
4) In post, add a flicker filter (set at medium), reduce your black levels, -15 seems to be about right on most days, then increase sharpness GENTLY.

Images look better tracking horizontally, vertical movement enhances the negative effects of high compression. The higher the altitude, the better things will look with this codec.

I have been producing HD since 1995, seen everything, and really hate how poor the images look with current compression technologies. HD looked spectacular 15 years ago, when things were lightly compressed and a camera cost $100K before the lens. The lens is more important than the imaging chip, and compression can destroy even the best quality equipment. However, there are few choices when reducing the size of the equipment and making it affordable enough for so many people to purchase and enjoy. DJI really makes nice equipment at this price point, so you need to understand the compromises you make with such purchases. Everything in this business is compromise, a balance of quality vs. cost.

I've had the P4 for about a week now and I am VERY impressed. Between LightBridge, the P4 its smoothness and stability in all modes and the locked-in stability of the gimbal, it's at a point where you couldn't build it for the price they are selling it for.

Having said all that, I do have some serious concerns about image quality. I may be wrong, but it looks as though my camera has a thumb-print or smudge on an internal lens element. I say "internal", because I've cleaned the front element as carefully as I can, and you can't get at the rest of it by yourself. The top right corner of the attached image illustrates what I'm talking about - the hazing near the sides of the boat aft of the radar mast and the flare around the highlights in the water.

Or can this be explained by something else?

Attachments

• vlcsnap-error796.png
    vlcsnap-error796.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 440
That's not normal, if you have cleaned the lens, then it appears be an issue under the glass. Since it's only a week old, see if they will swap it out for you, that appears to be a factory issue.

That's not normal, if you have cleaned the lens, then it appears be an issue under the glass. Since it's only a week old, see if they will swap it out for you, that appears to be a factory issue.

I appreciate your feedback. I just got off the phone with the Apple Store rep and he's going to do a swap for me in the morning.

Watch p4 footage on a 78 inch Samsung and I am sure there are better recording devices out there but the pic is stunning. Do you have a vizio or what?

Reactions: maseman88
Hi,
I'd like to share my latest video and hear your opinions about the quality. Any tips and feedback is appreciated.
I cannot remember the settings, but I'll check later and share with you.

Thanks

Mine looks amazing....

Hi,
I'd like to share my latest video and hear your opinions about the quality. Any tips and feedback is appreciated.
I cannot remember the settings, but I'll check later and share with you.

Thanks

looks good to me.... I don't get people who buy these and don't film in 4k.... why not buy a lower grade model?

Reactions: frands1
Watch p4 footage on a 78 inch Samsung and I am sure there are better recording devices out there but the pic is stunning. Do you have a vizio or what?
my 4k footage looks amazing on my 65 inch sony.

looks good to me.... I don't get people who buy these and don't film in 4k.... why not buy a lower grade model?
I thought I had shot in 4K. have to recheck. I know youtube automatically picked 1080p as maximum, I cannot figure it out when and how youtube picks the max quality to show. many of my vids are "only" uploaded as 1080p.
Any ideas?

I thought I had shot in 4K. have to recheck. I know youtube automatically picked 1080p as maximum, I cannot figure it out when and how youtube picks the max quality to show. many of my vids are "only" uploaded as 1080p.
Any ideas?
if the file is 4k, the upload will be 4k. maybe youre exporting in 1080? using imovie?

if the file is 4k, the upload will be 4k. maybe youre exporting in 1080? using imovie?
not really, downloaded straight from sd card... but... I used moviemaker... That could have been the main issue.

Thanks for all the tips!

From a total numpty who has been looking at this forum for knowledge. What the hell! this is just a forum for people with an ego.... attitude.... arent we so special, we bought a dji for loads a money. I have the lowest of the low, a p3 standard, does everything I want it to, no connection problems( try turning off smart peripheral equipment, let the tablet connect). You dont like the video, buy a pro kit. Stop wining sad people, dont care if I am A nube ... new .. oh what the fxxk, I'm fleet manager for an international marine shiping company , I love my small hours messing about with a drone. Get a **** life!

not really, downloaded straight from sd card... but... I used moviemaker... That could have been the main issue.

Thanks for all the tips!

Can I ask you a question? I just got a ipad pro. How in the hell do I get my movies to show up in movie maker? I transferred mp4 and mov over to the ipad and nothing shows in movie maker unless I upload to icloud. But now icloud gives me a error after 5 hrs of uploading a 4 gig flie 3 times in a row.

Can I ask you a question? I just got a ipad pro. How in the hell do I get my movies to show up in movie maker? I transferred mp4 and mov over to the ipad and nothing shows in movie maker unless I upload to icloud. But now icloud gives me a error after 5 hrs of uploading a 4 gig flie 3 times in a row.

Maybe we are talking about a different movie maker... I meant to say I download them from sd card to a pc (windows based) and use the office movie maker.

The icon looks just like this:

latest

Then, just drag and drop and play.

From a total numpty who has been looking at this forum for knowledge. What the hell! this is just a forum for people with an ego.... attitude.... arent we so special, we bought a dji for loads a money. I have the lowest of the low, a p3 standard, does everything I want it to, no connection problems( try turning off smart peripheral equipment, let the tablet connect). You dont like the video, buy a pro kit. Stop wining sad people, dont care if I am A nube ... new .. oh what the fxxk, I'm fleet manager for an international marine shiping company , I love my small hours messing about with a drone. Get a **** life!

You talking to the OP, right?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20