It's here

Reaction score
And it works great just hooked it up last night. I took it outside for a quick flight I was out 650feet from my home and still full signal on my screen. I purchased this from Amazon fast shipping and very professionally packaged my only complaint is the link they send you to install the antenna is the guy is speaking Chinese. But it's very clear picture on what to do.
12660430001f35cacaa05d0c90d1fc45.jpg

Sent from Ron's iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

And it works great just hooked it up last night. I took it outside for a quick flight I was out 650feet from my home and still full signal on my screen. I purchased this from Amazon fast shipping and very professionally packaged my only complaint is the link they send you to install the antenna is the guy is speaking Chinese. But it's very clear picture on what to do.
12660430001f35cacaa05d0c90d1fc45.jpg

650'? What are you flying, a Phantom on a string. Get a P3P, I've had mine out over 4 miles.

Ron,
I assume that you are announcing an improvement over a previous distance problem. Is that right? If so, what kind of distance were you getting before?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nice please keep us posted on your distances. Also, how was your video link and quality. Maybe some mobile device details too! I saw the same one on Amazon and have been waiting to pull the trigger!

Thank you for your post

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

PhantomHelp is working on a ND filter comparison in another thread. Has something similar been done for alternative antennae and reflectors? Without knowing better, it seems the antennas that come with the Phantom are omnidirectional, vertically polarized. Since I assume most pilots face their phantom, it seems a lot of energy is wasted in the other directions. I am not suggesting Yagis, but the reflectors that reflect the energy in one direction would be more efficient than an omni. People have been using reflectors on home wifi systems and similar setups for years and I know you can buy or build them for the drone products as well.

PhantomHelp is working on a ND filter comparison in another thread. Has something similar been done for alternative antennae and reflectors? Without knowing better, it seems the antennas that come with the Phantom are omnidirectional, vertically polarized. Since I assume most pilots face their phantom, it seems a lot of energy is wasted in the other directions. I am not suggesting Yagis, but the reflectors that reflect the energy in one direction would be more efficient than an omni. People have been using reflectors on home wifi systems and similar setups for years and I know you can buy or build them for the drone products as well.

You are correct about DJI stock antennas. They are omnidirectional, but at the same time i dont think DJI's main goal is to get us flying miles & miles away, outta line of sight..
For someone whos main goal is to take pics & shoot videos, a Phantom Standard with 1000-2000' range or P3Pro with 10,000'+range is plenty of distance to achieve their goal....
For ppl that care about distance and going long is a different story.., I think most of us started with a homemade windsurfer "mod" to better direct the signal, and then moved on to after market replacement directional antenna mods, and battery mods, and signal boosters, etc...
There are a LOT of threads on this forum comparing different antenna mods and members posting their results.

Reactions: Omniround
You are correct about DJI stock antennas. They are omnidirectional, but at the same time i dont think DJI's main goal is to get us flying miles & miles away, outta line of sight..
For someone whos main goal is to take pics & shoot videos, a Phantom Standard with 1000-2000' range or P3Pro with 10,000'+range is plenty of distance to achieve their goal....
For ppl that care about distance and going long is a different story.., I think most of us started with a homemade windsurfer "mod" to better direct the signal, and then moved on to after market replacement directional antenna mods, and battery mods, and signal boosters, etc...
There are a LOT of threads on this forum comparing different antenna mods and members posting their results.
Thanks for the reply....I don't know that I will ever need a booster for distance, but what about when trying to "reach" around a building or other physical object? That is more my concern than going miles.

Reactions: SZNJ732
Thanks for the reply....I don't know that I will ever need a booster for distance, but what about when trying to "reach" around a building or other physical object? That is more my concern than going miles.

I dont think there are antenna mods out there that can let you safely fly behind buildings, unfortunately... The signal just isn't strong enough to penetrate a building and maintain control of aircraft.
From my experience, even flying behind trees degrades the signal significantly, since trees/leafs contain water, and moisture 'absorbs' WiFi signal...
I remember with stock RC flying behind some trees even at 300' would make me get that weak signal warning and disconnect.
I did get great signal strength improvement after installing directional antenna mod and amps. The other day i was flying out of my back yard over my town, and i made it to about 3,500', and i had a ton of interference, and a lot of trees around, and buildings, and i still had good connection. I had to stay about 350' high though, but still , i was very surprised... My previous max distance in that direction was about 1,200'.. So signal boosters do help a lot if you are looking for stronger signal when flying in high interference areas, and not necessarily trying for max distance runs...

Litchi app.
Plan a waypoints flight using "mission hub" on the Litchi website or on your tablet with the app. Upload the flight to your phantom and if you lose signal the phantom will still complete the mission.

I had already bought the Litchi udemy class which I haven't viewed yet. I just this minute went to the store and bought Litchi...I have only flown two 1/2 battery flights and the entire time was in my backyard so I am not quite ready for the full Monty.

Reactions: Ron Phillips
I dont think there are antenna mods out there that can let you safely fly behind buildings, unfortunately... The signal just isn't strong enough to penetrate a building and maintain control of aircraft.
From my experience, even flying behind trees degrades the signal significantly, since trees/leafs contain water, and moisture 'absorbs' WiFi signal...
I remember with stock RC flying behind some trees even at 300' would make me get that weak signal warning and disconnect.
I did get great signal strength improvement after installing directional antenna mod and amps. The other day i was flying out of my back yard over my town, and i made it to about 3,500', and i had a ton of interference, and a lot of trees around, and buildings, and i still had good connection. I had to stay about 350' high though, but still , i was very surprised... My previous max distance in that direction was about 1,200'.. So signal boosters do help a lot if you are looking for stronger signal when flying in high interference areas, and not necessarily trying for max distance runs...
That was my reason for my purchase I was getting a lot of interference things are great now!

Reactions: SZNJ732

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4