It's Here and so is Fear

Reaction score
I have received my Vision 2+ V3.0 now since two days, have not dared to open it and unpack it. After reading so much about what could happen for untrained pilots and the most likely damage that can occur is scaring me to even take it out. Anyhow, eventually I will do so after reading more about it and watching more videos, however, one thing is for sure that this forum has helped a lot in answering so many questions. When it came to my other question in another area on this forum regarding antenna and increased power, some recommended if I can replace the vision with gopro model, unfortunately it was too late as it was already on the way. Meanwhile, through this forum I was able to reach a point of extending in a very reasonable price the WiFi range setup using the TPLink way.

The biggest fear so far is tearing the gimbal and camera tape wiring in the event of an unfortunate accident on the first flight. Hence, I went and searched for replacements and I found these, and without paying to much attention to details I ordered a couple just in case, unfortunately I discovered afterwards they are not originals and a bit pricey (currently on their way). The following is the site on eBay. The question is: Are they dependable as the original cables?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191437286490?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Finally any last minute advices before I take my Quad out for its maiden flight.

Regards,
Sarie

:D
Welcome Sarie,
You are wise to ask questions and watch videos. Read and understand the manual. If you follow the directions, and don't get too crazy with your bird, you should not need those ribbon cables, and they are very difficult to replace!
You will find the Phantom the easiest RC Quadcopter to fly!

I would encourage you to get a camera guard and a gimbal protector (insurance that you won't have to muck with the ribbon cable). Good luck!

The majority of posts here are from people who have had issues with their Phantom/s. How many do you think have been sold and work properly to the ones that have issues, how many issues are user error. Read the manual, watch the tutorial videos that are on youtube and take it slow.

Have you flown quad-copters before? If not then buy a Hubsan X4 (About $40) and practice. It can take a beating. If you have flown others before then good news! The Phantom is easier to fly then other quads. So don't worry. All you need to do is remember things like..

Turn on the transmitter before the Phantom
Make sure you get a GPS lock before flying off
Enable NAZA-M for better safety and more controls. But research first so you know what does what
Calibrate the Phantom properly. If you want to be extra, like me, calibrate before EVERY flight
Fly safe. Don't try to fly in your garden if it's small, or inside, or in the street. Go to the biggest open area, with minimal life that you can find
Carry on doing what you're doing. You can never learn too much about your new baby
When taking off, don't be shy with the throttle. Pluck your bird into the air about 10 feet. Any lower and it can drift quite a lot
Take your time. As long as you don't act foolish, you'll have your Phantom for as long as you want. You have potentially your whole life to do what you want to do with it. There's no rush
HAVE FUN!

Sarie,
Stop being frightend. This forum shows you a sellection of negative experiences, that for a guite big proporsion are due to pilot impatience. In real life though most users experience no problems and are just happy flyers as you can be too. So just study the manual, start/ practise flying in gps mode in an open area, gendly use the controle sticks and concider using prop gards during your first 10+.
Happy flying [emoji106]

Like you, I was apprehensive in firing mine up last week. I had it a couple of days before I actually did the first flight. I took mine to a huge school yard Saturday morning and the first lift off I don't think went more than 10-15 feet in altitude, I followed the manual in the maneuvers to accomplish then rewarded myself with a little more altitude and distance. It's all good after you get the first flight in.

Hey sarie..my suggestion is to start out with a trainer quad.I don't think it's a good idea to start out with your phantom. .I have tried several but I prefer the dromida ominus. .Once you fly a dromida the phantom will seem like child's play and you'll have no trouble piloting it..
On my third day I crashed my p2v+ into a tree at 30 mph,because of pilot error. . . My camera /gimble separated during the crash damaging my gimble..if only I would have known that this happens a lot and install a zip tie to the gimble mount and get a killer rc billet gimble protector and a uav bits camera protecter..then I believe the p2v+ will stand up to a crash as well as any other uav..hope this helps..happy flying turbodronepilot. .

The Phantom is easier to fly than any "trainer quad".
All you need to do is read the manual as mentioned by several posters already.
Ask about anything you are uncertain of.
Go to a clear open area, well away from trees, buildings or any other obstacles and fly.
Don't be afraid to go up 50 feet or more - the ground is an obstacle too so you don't want to be too close to it.
Don't be more adventurous than your piloting ability.
It takes 5 minutes to learn to fly the Phantom but lots of practice to understand all that could go wrong and have strategies to prevent them from happening.

Meta4 said:
The Phantom is easier to fly than any "trainer quad".
All you need to do is read the manual as mentioned by several posters already.
Ask about anything you are uncertain of.
Go to a clear open area, well away from trees, buildings or any other obstacles and fly.
Don't be afraid to go up 50 feet or more - the ground is an obstacle too so you don't want to be too close to it.
Don't be more adventurous than your piloting ability.
It takes 5 minutes to learn to fly the Phantom but lots of practice to understand all that could go wrong and have strategies to prevent them from happening.

+1
Unbox the thing and have at. Just stay in an open field where you have some room for error.

I was where you were several months - ago - I had read posts in this forum over and over - watched all of the videos and realized that I didnt want to crash and break the camera and gimble. One piece of advice i took from dirtybird was to get the phantom 1 with he FC40 camera, which is exactly like the phantom2 as far as the bird and controls are concerned - learn on that one then move over to the phantom 2plus. I took that advice and practiced for a couple of weeks with the phantom 1 (until I thought I was comfortable) Then moved over to the 2 plus without even hardly noticing it. All of these prev posts offer good advice on pre-flight checking and how to start. The gimble protector is also a good idea. I love my phantom2+ actually I hv 2 of them - and cant wait for the inspire (im on the list) - anyway two months later ive posted over 115 flights (the raw footage flts are on YT - I keep track of each one by flt number - search for @cliphot.com inside of you tube if you're interested) I really enjoy the whole process. Take it slow and enjoy!

Head out to an open field you'll have tons of room to get comfortable without worrying about trees too close, take it slow and welcome aboard.

You're not going to overcome your perceived fear until you read all the stuff, watch a few videos, but most importantly get it out and fly it. Only practice will ease your fears - and you will need that practice.

Avoid trees. Trees hate phantoms.

We all had the same fear, but once you realise that the phantom is a highly capable machine, it's all plain sailing. Or flying!

I still get some nervous moments, especially when flying in enclosed spaces with not enough satellites to get GPS lock and having to fly ATTI mode.

You'll love it when you get the first few batteries over you.

Enjoy!

I would learn how to fly before I would worry about WiFi extenders and such,and focus on the real issue at hand.

I will see you at Liberty Sat have fun
Mariano

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav