Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

It's cool, but why would you do this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wincrasher, Jan 23, 2014.

1. wincrasher

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2tlr6DOwMw[/youtube]

2. Shrimpfarmer

I have no idea.

Check your video link as the embedding has not worked. Normally I copy the video address then hit the youtube tab, then paste the link in the centre. You should then see a thumbprint of the video.

3. Shrimpfarmer

Ooops you fixed that quicker than I could type.

4. ElGuano

A few people have used this to make modding an X8 easier (and to accept bigger props in the process). Unfortunately it also tends to make opening the shell that much harder.

5. LeoS

Well, according to the poster...

6. dvg

dvg

I have ordered these. My phantom is 1.2kg with a gimbal and fpv so I'm only getting 5 min flight time with the standard props and battery. I'll try these with standard props then some 9" props and see if there is a change.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

7. ElGuano

It's extremely likely that the added weight of these will more than cancel out the benefit you'll get from larger props. You can run 9.4" props already without the extensions, and those will get you about 20% more flight time.

8. ElGuano

Double posted

9. dvg

dvg

I think I wanted them so I could fit some new different motors. I like the idea of the phantom being more steady and smoother as well. Do you think tri blades would give more flight time.

10. ElGuano

Lower Kv motors would be really interesting to see, especially with larger props and 4s batteries. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

For the phantom, tri blade helps lift but it seems nowadays the PV props are the way to go for 9"

11. rilot

The thing is, with lower kv motors pushing larger props you will soon exceed the limits of the little 18A ESCs in the Phantom.
    If you want to lift more weight, move to a different platform. The Phantom is great for what it is but it's not a heavy lifter, and once you start adding stuff to it you end up with a craft that cost a lot but is inferior to something that was designed with lifting weight in mind.

12. dvg

dvg

What about using the naza and transmitter in a different frame. I priced 30amp escs 1000kv motors sk450 frame for around $160. How would that go lifting 1.3kg for that price would it be worth it.

13. Dtacmed

I tried them really a a pain to in stall due to all the soldering. Then no easy way back in. Did not like and removed. Saw not improvement at all.

14. FlyingFanta

Have some photos?