Itelite with amps and maxx range antenna question??

@Tripc, did you get this resolved? I just installed the Maxx range panel this weekend for the first time and got the exact problem you were having - left side amp shining only white, and right side amp shining blue as normal. Before this the DBS02 panel was working perfect boosted with both amps shining blue. Was it a bad amp, bad cable or something else?
I have double checked everything and found no poor connections inside or outside the RC....
I have same problem....new installation, tested and very bad range...I mean, not better than stock antenna! Please help.

Sent from my SM-T810 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey guys, just getting caught up on everything since my two week hiatus. I think most of you have contacted me directly if you've had a problem but if you haven't, please do!

@dirtybum - To say you've never heard about so many returns from one company is unfair. With the amount of kits that I've sold, I would say only about 5% have an issue, and I act quickly to resolve the issue. You should know that most people will only say something when they're having a problem, so of course you're going to see more problems than praises. Are the Sunhans perfect? No, they're not. I have not been able to narrow down exactly what is causing the issue, but replacing the amp is the only thing that fixes it and 9 times out of 10 it is not a cable issue. Also, to claim there is nothing wrong with the amps is misleading. I'm getting a box together to ship to Sunhans with all of the defective amps so they can determine the cause and hopefully fix.

Hey guys, just getting caught up on everything since my two week hiatus. I think most of you have contacted me directly if you've had a problem but if you haven't, please do!

@dirtybum - To say you've never heard about so many returns from one company is unfair. With the amount of kits that I've sold, I would say only about 5% have an issue, and I act quickly to resolve the issue. You should know that most people will only say something when they're having a problem, so of course you're going to see more problems than praises. Are the Sunhans perfect? No, they're not. I have not been able to narrow down exactly what is causing the issue, but replacing the amp is the only thing that fixes it and 9 times out of 10 it is not a cable issue. Also, to claim there is nothing wrong with the amps is misleading. I'm getting a box together to ship to Sunhans with all of the defective amps so they can determine the cause and hopefully fix.
Hi Jake,
Also I got a broken Sunhans amp... (measured and verified with different spectrum analyzers)
The Sunhans golden ones are light weight and small. That's their (maybe only apart of price) advantage but for all other applications (tripod,etc..) it would be great if you could provide your kits also with other amplifiers (I'm not judging on quality at this point) especially focusing on Rx amplification and matching AGC. The RFlinx seems great (USB Tx,Rx adjustments and power measuring accesible via software)
as well as Teletronics and last not least L-com. No budget solutions though..

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Jake,
Also I got a broken Sunhans amp... (measured and verified with different spectrum analyzers)
The Sunhans golden ones are light weight and small. That's their (maybe only apart of price) advantage but for all other applications (tripod,etc..) it would be great if you could provide your kits also with other amplifiers (I'm not judging on quality at this point) especially focusing on Rx amplification and matching AGC. The RFlinx seems great (USB Tx,Rx adjustments and power measuring accesible via software)

Cheers!
Hey IBV, we did offer a kit before with the older Sunhans. The gold ones also have an advantage of using USB to power them, meaning you get much better quality batteries and much cheaper prices. The older Sunhans have been around for many years, so they've had time to work out all the bugs. The gold ones are still fairly new. They'll eventually get it all sorted out, until then I'm more than happy to replace them :) - Did you buy the gold one from me? If so, did we get you a replacement?

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
Hi Jake,

Cheers!

Teletronics looks good but just average noise figure.
RFlinx looks interesting also, power metering appears to be average power only though, not peak.

For those who are interested in why AGC is important, the power rating of a booster is only relevant if you have enough input power to drive the booster to it's full output.

Take a 2W Sunhan for example. Transmit gain is specified as 13-16 dB. 2 watts is +33dBm.
If we give it the benefit of the doubt and call it 16 dB transmit gain, you need to drive the booster with a minimum of +17dBm for it to produce full output.

My P4 RC measure +12dBm out. That means the output of the Sunhan 2W booster will only be +28dBm max, that's about 600mw, or less than 1/3 the power that the booster is capable of.

Boosters with AGC automatically adjust their gain based on the strength of the signal from the RC so that they can always produce their full rated power.

Teletronics looks good but just average noise figure.
RFlinx looks interesting also, power metering appears to be average power only though, not peak.

For those who are interested in why AGC is important, the power rating of a booster is only relevant if you have enough input power to drive the booster to it's full output.

Take a 2W Sunhan for example. Transmit gain is specified as 13-16 dB. 2 watts is +33dBm.
If we give it the benefit of the doubt and call it 16 dB transmit gain, you need to drive the booster with a minimum of +17dBm for it to produce full output.

My P4 RC measure +12dBm out. That means the output of the Sunhan 2W booster will only be +28dBm max, that's about 600mw, or less than 1/3 the power that the booster is capable of.

Boosters with AGC automatically adjust their gain based on the strength of the signal from the RC so that they can always produce their full rated power.

Right. In addition to what you wrotr: Also AGC needs a minimum treshold. The L-com can handle full power at 1mW or 5mW fir the bigger one. Theit noise figure is 2.5 only. However, most manufactures are bad in displaying their Rx side which is the most important in our case. Hardly any amp curve with nouse ratio available. L-com claim 21real db Rx gain and AGC on Rx side.
This is way better than Sunhans that gives me 8db measured Rx gain at best conditions. If the bird is far away the whole listening side needs to be tuned very well. Filtering qualities of channels ,etc.. are more important in Wifi conjested areas. I don't say the Sunhans is bad... but there are more suitable amps available for getting the P4 not only long range but also in conjested areas and penetration wise.
Teletronics is average. L-com's Rx side seems better and that's where the challenge is.. Teletrinics nouse figure is indeed not so good given he Rx side being the issue.

Right. In addition to what you wrotr: Also AGC needs a minimum treshold. The L-com can handle full power at 1mW or 5mW fir the bigger one. Theit noise figure is 2.5 only. However, most manufactures are bad in displaying their Rx side which is the most important in our case. Hardly any amp curve with nouse ratio available. L-com claim 21real db Rx gain and AGC on Rx side.
This is way better than Sunhans that gives me 8db measured Rx gain at best conditions. If the bird is far away the whole listening side needs to be tuned very well. Filtering qualities of channels ,etc.. are more important in Wifi conjested areas. I don't say the Sunhans is bad... but there are more suitable amps available for getting the P4 not only long range but also in conjested areas and penetration wise.
Teletronics is average. L-com's Rx side seems better and that's where the challenge is.. Teletrinics nouse figure is indeed not so good given he Rx side being the issue.

Sounds great. But did I read that right, that the L-Com is $600?
I wonder how much that is per additional Ft of distance gained

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I dont get why any of this matters when I've used p4 maxxrange and terminator 9+ miles boosted w/ perfect signal flying over a city (terminator unboosted)
Unknowns taken his Maxxrange /P4 &p3 Unboosted 10 miles at least twice. If you want good signal you just need one of these two panels and have line of sight[emoji41]
Now get out there and fly!

I dont get why any of this matters when I've used p4 maxxrange and terminator 9+ miles boosted w/ perfect signal flying over a city (terminator unboosted)
Unknowns taken his Maxxrange /P4 &p3 Unboosted 10 miles at least twice. If you want good signal you just need one of these two panels and have line of sight[emoji41]

Doesnt work for me that way unfortunatly. The Europe RC is weaker on Tx and as I mentioned none LOS is another challenge. Further some want or need to sit in their house or car to fly. Then you run into different situation. If you go for professional inspection you might face all 3 negative parameters at once plus clients that don't want to maje use of your insurance if you damage a rotor blade of a wind turbine... Then there are these irksome mosquitos in summer and ice in winter..
on the other hand it is of course right what you state for most situations. Despite if all this there are only a few countries and people with a none LOS fpv licence.. 600 Dollar for a real good reliable amp is relatively low price when you save 3000.- every month.. These UAVs become more normal in industry applications and the P4 is capable and especially small in compare. So why not testing the edge?

Yes if you have good LOS you are home free, but a lot of folks don't have that.

Reactions: GKPK

I have wondered about using an LNA on the receive-only side rather than a booster.
This is a bare-bones possibility:
2.4GHz Low Noise Amplifier LNA 2.3GHz ~ 2.5GHz SMA

Or these:
2400-2500MHz 1.5dB NF Low Noise Amplifier, LNA-2450,SMA

2400-2500MHz High IP3 LNA, NF=0.85dB, LNA-2425,New, SMA

I just know this is a loaded question, especially in this thread...

Are the amps really necessary for most of us? Don't they just amplify noise? I have never had very good experiences with inline amps for much of anything.

What's the bottom line? With and without the amps? Clear LOS. Everything I've read says the antenna mod is a lot all by itself (without the amps).

I have wondered about using an LNA on the receive-only side rather than a booster.
This is a bare-bones possibility:
2.4GHz Low Noise Amplifier LNA 2.3GHz ~ 2.5GHz SMA

Or these:
2400-2500MHz 1.5dB NF Low Noise Amplifier, LNA-2450,SMA

2400-2500MHz High IP3 LNA, NF=0.85dB, LNA-2425,New, SMA

I cannot see any Rx values printed. The Tx side needs a lot higher input to trigger the amplification out of noise than the RX. It would be a cheaper solution if it works. The Amp on the HD downlink side only needs to increase it enough so the RC can read the stream, so in this sense it work work with a low power amp that just bridges the losses along the way from the antenna. The noise ration is indeed much better than any of the other typical amps..

By the way, the L-com HA2401-XL3000 is rrated $ 278.-

Are the amps really necessary for most of us? Don't they just amplify noise? I have never had very good experiences with inline amps for much of anything.

What's the bottom line? With and without the amps? Clear LOS. Everything I've read says the antenna mod is a lot all by itself (without the amps).
That's right for most folks out there... however, as mentioned in a post above, there are valid exceptions...

A booster is helpful in certain situations. You can definitely increase the transmit signal strength with a booster, no question about that. The problem is that fpr most situations you need to help the receive side as well. For receiving the booster is just acting as a preamp, and yes it will amplify both signal and noise. A low quality preamp can actually do more harm than good.

An antenna upgrade should always be the first step because it increases both transmitted and received signal strength.

LOS is the ultimate solution. Some folks get that by putting antennas high in the air. That means long coax runs and signal loss. Boosters can help compensate for that as well.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
I cannot see any Rx values printed. The Tx side needs a lot higher input to trigger the amplification out of noise than the RX. It would be a cheaper solution if it works. The Amp on the HD downlink side only needs to increase it enough so the RC can read the stream, so in this sense it work work with a low power amp that just bridges the losses along the way from the antenna. The noise ration is indeed much better than any of the other typical amps..

By the way, the L-com HA2401-XL3000 is rrated $ 278.-
These are receive only, no transmit. Only useful for the peceive-only port of the RC, with a standard booster on the TX/RX port.

... but there are more suitable amps available for getting the P4 not only long range but also in conjested areas and penetration wise.

IBV - Penetration in an urban environment is far more important to me than "ideal condition over a lake" distances. I'm curious which amps you would recommend for better penetration in these types of environments? Thanks in advance.

IBV - Penetration in an urban environment is far more important to me than "ideal condition over a lake" distances. I'm curious which amps you would recommend for better penetration in these types of environments? Thanks in advance.
I agree.
Penetration is far more complex to handle due to reflections, channel conjestion,etc.. It's a lot of try and error to see what's best. I would suggest: Try different xhannels, use low noise amp with high quality bandpass filters. Use antenna with a "beam" not too narrow if reflections are to carry the signal. Test, test,test...

Reactions: Procharged97

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers