Itelite Mod for Phantom 3 Standard

Reaction score
I am currently thinking about the Itelite mod for my Radio Controller.
My case will not allow me to leave it attached to the Remote while in storage
so I will need to remove it while transporting it.
My question is this: If I need to just charge, turn on or update the Remote, can I simply
attach a rubber antenna to the terminal on the remote where the Itelite would normally
connect instead of attaching the Itelite?

I've read your post three times and I still don't understand what you're asking.

For example, to turn your RC on, you simply slide the power switch. It has nothing to do with your antenna.

I don't understand the post.

I've read your post three times and I still don't understand what you're asking.
You're not supposed to turn on the remote controller without the antennas attached. That apparently damages it.

Of course not.

The OP seems to want to remove the ITELITE and install a smaller antenna made of rubber so that he can power his RC. I don't understand why he would do this. Do you?

You're not supposed to turn on the remote controller without the antennas attached. That apparently damages it.
Exactly !!! I just wanted to reattach a simple antenna while turning it on. Would I need three (one for control antenna and one for each wifi antenna) to keep from burning anything up if I turned it on?

I don't understand why he would do this. Do you?
As stated above, it does not fit in his case with the antenna attached. Instead of taking the time to reinstall it each time, he wants to use an antenna that can quickly be attached.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amigorick
As stated above, it does not fit in his case with the antenna attached. Instead of taking the time to reinstall it each time, he wants to use an antenna that can quickly be attached.
My question would be why 3 separate stick antennas would really be any quicker to hook up that the ITELite connectors? They just screw on.

I wouldn't turn mine on without all three connected.
Thanks! In my mind, it would be quicker to just attach three antennas than attach the panel to the handle, and then attach three cables to the Itelite. I guess more curious than anything. I know the main antenna circuit from the remote would need a load on it to keep from burning up the transmitter. Wasn't sure about the wifi. I guess they are transmitter/receivers too.

why not just mod your case so it fits in with dbs on

My question is this: If I need to just charge, turn on or update the Remote, can I simply
attach a rubber antenna to the terminal on the remote where the Itelite would normally

NO Don't Do That! Just connect it correctly.

I had the same issue... I use a case from Best Buy, and after 3 batteries, filters, extra props, tablet etc., and decided that expansion was in order :D. So I picked up one of these to carry the remote(s) and crew radios, and any other extra gear. 18 in. x 6 in. x 13 in. Black Aluminum Case

with a knife I could make it fit some trimming

Do you know how, does it really "fry the transmitter" like I've read. I accidentally did this yesterday, but only had it on for about 5 minutes before remembering (no damage was done). I'm just curious as to what happens.. Is it because the heat has nowhere to go? If so I'm guessing you have to leave it on for a while before damaging.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm not exactly sure what kind of damage is done. I just recall @JakeMaxxUAV warned not to do it. Perhaps he will chime in and give us some more detailed information.

Yes it could fry the transmitter. The transmitter is trying to send out a signal and the signal cannot be adequately dispersed since there is no antenna connected. So without an antenna connected, the signal runs along the cable inside the transmitter and then radiates out. The cable is obviously not equipped for this, and there is a risk it will overheat, causing it to fail.

If you're lucky, you will have turned it off before it had a chance to overheat.

The other problem with this is thinking it is okay when it really isn't okay. So your range suffers. Or doesn't. Or maybe it is. You can't be sure because you can't be sure your transmitter is operating as it did when it was brand new. So moving forward you have this nagging doubt...

What's even worse is to have the ufl cable inside the controller pop off the transmitter itself or have a kink in the cable - or have a pinch in the cable when they sandwich the two halves of the controller together. A lot of guys who do mods on their controller make this mistake the first time. This will cause the transmitter to overheat and burn up much quicker.

Short answer is yes, purchase 7db rabbit ear antaennas from Amazon, the ones you can hook up to Wi-Fi routers. You can then attach them to your RC and do whatever it is you want to do. They will be fine for short ranges also, I get about 2000' in non los directions and over 10000' in los directions.

Short answer is yes, purchase 7db rabbit ear antaennas from Amazon, the ones you can hook up to Wi-Fi routers. You can then attach them to your RC and do whatever it is you want to do. They will be fine for short ranges also, I get about 2000' in non los directions and over 10000' in los directions.
Thanks !!!

What is the point of the dbs mod if it only increases the controller signal and not the wifi used for live viewing?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj