It was bound to happen...

Reaction score
Well it was bound to happen. No it didn't fly away...yet. But I have the dreaded back screen. Tried just about every combination of firmware and app version. Re-install....test different res and fps....nothing. Still take pictures and video just not FPV. I had promised that I would record a large family event this weekend but this sucks. I purchased my + from Drones Etc back in April. What do you think the chances of them showing any interest in helping me is going to be?

Had the same problem. Mine was the wifi module was damaged. Didn't look damaged from outside but when I opened it up the connector btw the 2 boards was broke. I don't suggest you open it up until you try everything. Did you have a crash ??

When I was searching for answers everyone suggested checking those plugs. Definitely makes sense. Several people said theirs had come unseated and trash got into it. Also have you tried a different device

I have tired three different devices. No crash.
I just put ti away after the last flight in its case and it been stored in my office since.
No wet weather or poor conditions. I will check the black ribbon can in the morning. I am getting telemetry and everything else....just not video. Weird.....

We'll after spending hour and hours screwing with firmware, software and about a half dozen tablets and phones I called one of the suggest support sites. Guy is was really cool and assured me it could be fixed inside warranty. It went to Nerds.net. Supposed to be a week turn around or you can pay 49.99 for 48 hour turn around. I will update to show how support from them went. Will get shipped out tomorrow morning express...we'll see

Just going to keep this thread as a update as to how the repair sent. It was shipped FedEx today (Friday) and should arrive at the nerds.net repair facility Tuesday.

Phantom was signed for at @ 10:52 this morning at repair facility in Miami.
I sent a follow up e-mail stating that I would pay the $49 expedited repair option.
We'll see from here...

Best of luck to you. It is not a good feeling to be without something you enjoy. At this point just don't get use to it not being around.

I got a call this afternoon saying that it was being worked on and since I paid for rush repair they would try to get it back out to me the same day but that didn't happen but its cool cause they said 48 hours max. It's not that I miss it I had an event that a "friend" wanted filmed and I'm loosing out....sooo...you know.

I got a call this afternoon that I'm all fixed. Its was nothing I was doing and they had to replace parts. Jeremy was very nice on the phone and explained to me what was going on it with it. He said they cleaned it all up and replace some springs in/on the gimbal? Everything has been updated and test flown and its on its way back to me. FedEx ground is free but I opted for 2 day air for 30 bucks. I need it for this weekend so it was worth it. He said if anything ever happens with it to let him know even if its after 12 months and gave me all his contact information. So I'm happy with my service. I also have to mention that they had sent me pictures of opening it once it was received at the location so I knew it was still alive. He took the time to talk to me about purchasing a Phantom 2 package with gimbal and fpv since I would really like to get a GoPro 4K......Will update when I get her home and test it out!

The black screen was fixed with some springs in the gimbal? By black screen you mean your cell phone didn't receive video from the drone but you were able to control the camera and you got telemetry, right?

First, there are no springs in the gimbal (at least none I've seen) so that doesn't sound right.

Next, the black screen (if we are on the same page) is usually caused by a failed or failing WiFi module. Those things overheat. Once they cool down they can start working again. So you could play with the gimbal and see it all working properly but then on a long flight fighting the wind it could overheat and cut out again. So it would work but only for a while.

The real fix is to replace the WiFi module. Hopefully they got you sorted out properly but this doesn't sound right. Either that or I'm not following the post properly.

Sorry, I don't think my post was very clear. I had a few beers last night so my communication skills were impacted. There were several other part replaced including an internal video transceiver part in the phantom? So that's what was really the issue. The other parts where just a tune up...dunno. I'll find out how she fly's when I get it back tomorrow.

ShoreBird said:
There were several other part replaced including an internal video transceiver part in the phantom?

Ok that's your WiFi module. If it was replaced you should be good to go.

Received the bird back this morning....will try to get out at lunch to test it out. Powered up in the shop without any issues and looks good so far.

Three test flights and everything is 100%. Would recommend thenerds.net as a good repair facility. Taking it with me on a trip tomorrow so we'll see hoe it holds up.

My wifi module also got fried. Ordered a new one. Hopefully it's an easy self-install

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20