It Took A Long Time...

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
...but after a few months of buzzing around (and amusing) downtown LA, I've finally finished shooting and editing the video. Have a look:

https://vimeo.com/101231747

If anyone has any concerns about the safety (or sanity) of the shots, please read the comments in the video.

The film needs a name like "If Butter Could Fly" because it's so unbelievably smooth. You really played well to all your strengths like flying, editing, coloring, and timing. Lots of close up work which I really loved, all perfectly framed. It was consistent on subject matter; you really took a gamble in the total length of 4 minutes, but it's a 4 minute orgy for the eyes, and it leaves you wanting more. It's professional in every aspect.

It's also a shining example of urban filming done right. Your altitude is proportionate to the subject being filmed, and it's clear you want us to see what you see.

I give it 5 out of 5 stars, a very nice job Ian.

P.S. What did you use for color grading & editing, and how long have you been flying?

Thanks guys. I did a bit of studying into how to grade and color in FCPX using the scopes. My white balance color is still a little off in some shots. Also the GoPro seemed to have some issues holding white balance in bright light even with an ND and the camera set with WB off. You can see it flutter in a few places. Also some rolling shutter in a few shots taken when the sun was too high even for the ND.

But, despite all that I am really pleased with it. The H3-3D is a game changer. I had a pro DP who does his own aerial work ask me what stabilization software I use in post. The answer is none. Which you can tell in some shots. But still...

poostik said:
Excellent.
Love it all.

Really impressed with the pitch and yaw control while moving.

+1...it demonstrates amazing flying technique. Kudos!

this is by far the best aerial video i've seen.
congrats ian 5/5

Wow looks awesome and inspiring! And now I don't need to visit LA anymore. LOL great job!

Dude.

What everyone else has said, plus fantastic gimbal tilt control. Just the right amount of post production too. Keeping it real. Thanks for the inspiration.

Would you mind sharing the standard frame rate you;re using for shots with no speed alteration?

It aint real video til it's been remapped...

Very nice! I think this is one of the top 5 videos I've ever seen. I can't wait to be able to fly and edit like that.

Stumpy_Joe said:
What everyone else has said, plus fantastic gimbal tilt control. Just the right amount of post production too. Keeping it real. Thanks for the inspiration.

Would you mind sharing the standard frame rate you;re using for shots with no speed alteration?

The Futaba helps a lot in the smooth gimbal and yaw control. As for the frame rate, I shoot in 30p and then adapt it to a 24p timeline so all shots are 80% of recorded speed. That means they have some of the smoothness of slow motion but still feel mostly like normal motion.

EMCSQUAR said:
Very nice Ian. You need to submit it to -> http://bestquadcopter.com/submit-video/

Done. Thanks for the tip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic