It might just me being cynical but...

Reaction score
...it makes me wonder about the reason behind the problems people (including myself) had with their P3S not reporting their current firmware version and not offering any updates. DJI said that the reason was because of a "server reconfiguration" (which was very vague).

However, I have a theory. I have actually read someone mentioning that DJI supposedly said that the 1.7.9 firmware damages something in the drone and that it shouldn't be used (although that is unsubstantiated). I also noticed reports, now that 1.8.10 has been released, that peoples' P3S's are now reporting the firmware version correctly again.

I wonder whether this was DJI realising that 1.7.9 was causing so many problems (and supposedly even maybe causing damage) that they did this to try and prevent people from upgrading to it until they rolled out 1.8.10. It seems more than a coincidence that the "Firmware version: N/A" problem suddenly went away as soon as 1.8.10 came out...

Of course DJI will never admit to this anyway even if it were true. I have seen official DJI staff basically saying that 1.8.10 would potentially solve the problems people had been having with range and signal issues, however there is absolutely no mention of this in the release notes for 1.8.10. In fact the release notes are so sparse, you would wonder why they would bother rolling it out for so little, unless, of course, it is also to address the issues with 1.7.9.

Is it just me?

Hi. How can I tell what version software I have?
Connect to your Phantom, go into the DJI Go app, go to Camera, then settings (top right), General Settings and then scroll down to the bottom for "About". That should give you both the App and firmware version (just "Version").

Reactions: RW-1
One last question...do I have to have the Phantom on or just the controller and the phone?

Mine correctly identified it was running on 1.7.9 and I never had issues at all with it. Now I have 1.8.10 and my range has suddenly dropped, hey ho. Going to try another day and eliminate any variables before I set into fed up mode.
One thing of note, the order you shut down after updates does affect what version Go shows, make sure you switch off the drone and restart it but leave everything else running. When I did 1.7.9 i messed up shut down order, it then said i needed to update, repeated the update, did the drone restart and all was well.

Why should dji tell us everything about the updates? Do you actually read the full document Apple supply about their updates or Microsoft etc? Other global giants like Canon and Nikon do firmware updates to add features and fix bugs. Not all problems are discovered sat at a computer desk writing code, it's only real world use and people reporting back that highlight them.
Dji are not some accountable public service, but they do seem to try and identify and rectify problems more than most other manufacturers

Reactions: Philltayl
One last question...do I have to have the Phantom on or just the controller and the phone?
See post #4. You can't be connected to the Phantom unless it's on so yes, the Phantom must be on.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dosserdd