It looks like they just killed the Phantom 4

Reaction score
The Mavic just launched, other than the Phantom 4 having slightly better speed and battery, and the ability to film in slow motion it looks like the Mavic has matched or beat it in every category, it also has a much better range, more convenience, and significantly improved smart features, the batteries are only about half the price, it's cheaper, and you don't even need the controller to fly it.:openmouth: I knew it was going to destroy the KARMA I didn't expect it to knock out the Phantom!

The first reviews should be interesting, I'm curious how it will do in the wind. The Phantom 5 is going to have to be pretty impressive.

I bought a phantom 4 in the middle of August, and i love the thing, but now i kinda wished i would have waited. I still love my phantom 4, and i'll probably end up keeping it, but i was impressed today by what DJI showed us.

Reactions: liketogethigh
Unless you really need a compact quadcopter, keep your P4 and then upgrade to the Mavic Pro 2 in a couple of years. :)

For sure! Just bought my P4 2,5 weeks ago for 950 brand new. Yeah Mavic seem and must be awesome however it's gen1, Phantom went over 4 generations to get where it is. I'm happy with my purchase, hope some of the intelligent flight modes (especially keeping relative to terrain altitude) make it to the P4 but bar that I'll be happy upping my filming and flying skills on the P4. In 1-2 years from now, P4 will still hold its relative value either to be re-sold or kept as a nice backup.

Reactions: Suhail78
I bought my P4 in July and already have one trip of productive photography behind me. If I were buying new it would be the Mavic but I am in no hurry to go out and get the Mavic. As a photographer I don't see a decisive difference (in portability, yes, but lens and sensorwise, no). The Mavic has a faster lens (f/2) which is a big deal for low light imagery but its lens is a bit less wide (28 mm). Sensor resolution remains the same. I really want a 24MP sensor for my next purchase.

Looks like DJI has cannibalized its Phantom line.

Note that there are likely to be birthing issues - firmware updates, and other problems that come to light. If you have an upcoming trip like I do, best to hold off and go with the tried & trusted P4.

Reactions: Bigdz
I bought my P4 in July and already have one trip of productive photography behind me. If I were buying new it would be the Mavic but I am in no hurry to go out and get the Mavic. As a photographer I don't see a decisive difference (in portability, yes, but lens and sensorwise, no). The Mavic has a faster lens (f/2) which is a big deal for low light imagery but its lens is a bit less wide (28 mm). Sensor resolution remains the same. I really want a 24MP sensor for my next purchase.

Looks like DJI has cannibalized its Phantom line.

Note that there are likely to be birthing issues - firmware updates, and other problems that come to light. If you have an upcoming trip like I do, best to hold off and go with the tried & trusted P4.

Also, P4 can do HDR and Time lapse.......Mavic does not have this capability based on the specs posted on DJI website.

I haven't bought the P4 yet, was saving up for it, but I agree with the OP, no reason for me to get a P4 when I can get a Mavic, sounds like a P4 killer. Need to see reviews of the thing first, but the features are outstanding. 7km seems like a bit of a stretch, but I wanna see reviews first.

Reactions: liketogethigh
Also, P4 can do HDR and Time lapse.......Mavic does not have this capability based on the specs posted on DJI website.

Good points. Also - I will soon be headed to a part of the world which is very windy (known for its wind gusts). P4 probably has better tolerance in these conditions.

The Mavic has a faster lens (f/2) which is a big deal for low light imagery but its lens is a bit less wide (28 mm).

Phantom P4: FOV 94° 20 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.8
Mavic Pro: FOV 78.8° 28 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.2

I shoot primarily in low light situations so any help there is nice, given that the sensor hasn't increased in size and ISO range is still pretty narrow.

Reactions: KidKobe210
I predict a phantom 4 pro implementing Ocusync tech, perhaps all of the new flying modes/tech (I still believe some will make it to the P4) such as the precision landing if the P4 perhaps can't cope with and an improved camera and perhaps improved flight times. All of this a 1-2 hundreds bucks more than the actual p4 price point differentiating it further from the Mavic's features and price-point as the actual Mavic 1199 bundle vs entry 1299 price for the P4 don't make much sense.

But this is clearly not the end of the line for the Phantom series.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

DJI has no intentions on killing off the phantom series. This is merely another product in there lineup. They are two different models. Compact and full size. I think when this comes out it will not handle wind nearly as well as the phantoms. Small+ light= not wind friendly. The phantom will still be a more versatile unit

Sent from my Nexus 5X using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Dinerve

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl