Issues with take off

Reaction score
I'm having repeated issues taking off with the Phantom. I know that sounds like I'm a real idiot, and maybe in fact I am. However, if I simply increase the throttle as shown in all the videos, my Phantom leans forward and tips over. I can see that the right front (camera side) doesn't spin as fast as I'm ramping up the speed as the ones in the back. It's almost as if the right stick it pushed forward, but it's not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've destroyed two props just taking off...

dgwyn said:
I'm having repeated issues taking off with the Phantom. I know that sounds like I'm a real idiot, and maybe in fact I am. However, if I simply increase the throttle as shown in all the videos, my Phantom leans forward and tips over. I can see that the right front (camera side) doesn't spin as fast as I'm ramping up the speed as the ones in the back. It's almost as if the right stick it pushed forward, but it's not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've destroyed two props just taking off...

A friend of mine had this problem. To fix it he had to recalibrate the compass. I think there is a video on the DJI site to walk you through the process.

http://wiki.dji-innovations.com/en/inde ... n_fails.29

Are you getting a single green blink, or a single green followed with 4 blinks?

you probably want to re-calibrate your IMU, as seen in the last video on the previous post. (great link!)

John2905 said:
If you increase power slowly the Phantom can tip forward.

Is that what I'm doing wrong then? Do I "simply" need to bring up the throttle faster? I did that the first time and it nose-dived so hard into the driveway that it ruined two propellers and put a mark on the top of the Phantom from the props.

dgwyn said:
John2905 said:
If you increase power slowly the Phantom can tip forward.

Is that what I'm doing wrong then? Do I "simply" need to bring up the throttle faster? I did that the first time and it nose-dived so hard into the driveway that it ruined two propellers and put a mark on the top of the Phantom from the props.

The Phantom definitely has a tendency to tip over if you increase the throttle too slowly at takeoff. But it sounds like your problem is the same my friend had. Even when he increased the throttle rapidly the Phantom still nose dived at takeoff. I suggest calibrating everything before you try it again.

couldn't hurt to do the Advanced Calibration, making sure it's on a very flat surface.
(and I assume you're taking off from a flat surface as well, sometimes I take off and land on grass, which can be a bit tricky if the grass is clumpy)

I took the advice posted and did a complete recalibration, including using a magnet on the compass as I was getting compass errors. I then did a test flight (now have done several) and took the advice to throttle up faster. Happy to say I've had 4 out of 4 perfect take offs. Thanks so much for everyone's help! :D

Reactions: JohnK
Hi all, I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same issue. The front left motor is also spinning more slowly. I've done an advanced calibration multiple times and am still having the issue. HELP!!

Hi all, I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same issue. The front left motor is also spinning more slowly. I've done an advanced calibration multiple times and am still having the issue. HELP!!

Hey UNCMED, Welcome to the forum.

More information would be really good at this point. Old bird, new bird, crashes, hard landings, top removed and reinstalled... the questions go on and on. Please share more info than you think we need. My answers take much longer to create than do your questions.

How do you know the #2 motor is not spinning as fast as the others?
When does it spin slower?
Are you idling for prolonged periods of time, in excess of 20 seconds? That scenario will result in a BAD PHANTOM. http://www.wynotweb.com/Bad_Phantom.html
It could be as simple as the top going on wrong.

As far as I know, an advanced IMU calibration has no effect on motor speed at idle. I'm assuming you are referring to idle because your bird would not fly for very long if the #2 motor couldn't keep up.

Hey UNCMED, Welcome to the forum.

More information would be really good at this point. Old bird, new bird, crashes, hard landings, top removed and reinstalled... the questions go on and on. Please share more info than you think we need. My answers take much longer to create than do your questions.

How do you know the #2 motor is not spinning as fast as the others?
When does it spin slower?
Are you idling for prolonged periods of time, in excess of 20 seconds? That scenario will result in a BAD PHANTOM. http://www.wynotweb.com/Bad_Phantom.html
It could be as simple as the top going on wrong.

As far as I know, an advanced IMU calibration has no effect on motor speed at idle. I'm assuming you are referring to idle because your bird would not fly for very long if the #2 motor couldn't keep up.

Thanks for the reply. This is brand new out of the box. The #2 motor is visibly spinning slower during idle, and stops before the other 3 when turned off. I haven't been idling for a long time and I actually haven't even flown it fully because of my fear of it continuing to tip over. I'm wondering if I need to just try to fly it fully to see if it still tips. I guess it's possible I am trying to take off too slowly.

Will compass calibration cause this issue at all? I had trouble getting enough satellites.

Thanks for the reply. This is brand new out of the box. The #2 motor is visibly spinning slower during idle, and stops before the other 3 when turned off. I haven't been idling for a long time and I actually haven't even flown it fully because of my fear of it continuing to tip over. I'm wondering if I need to just try to fly it fully to see if it still tips. I guess it's possible I am trying to take off too slowly.

Will compass calibration cause this issue at all? I had trouble getting enough satellites.

A lot of birds tip on takeoff. Seriously, you can just goose it and avoid the problem. That being said it will probably head straight for the closest nice car or big window. :rolleyes:

Compass calibration can not make 1 motor spin slower than the rest, neither can the satellite issue.

Move to open ground and play around a bit.
You could anchor the bird and exercise the motor to see if it clears up.
Look inside the motor for debris. I'm not saying take anything apart, just do a very good visual inspection.

You may want to resolve the motor issue before flying and worrying about tipping at takeoff.

Try taking off full throttle, if that doesn't work then maybe you have a bad motor. I've had four Phantoms over the last year and none of them ever had all four motors spin the same. Always one or two spin more freely or tightly than the others. But it never caused a problem. I notice it when I shut off the motors and they stop spinning at different times, just a fraction of a second apart. I don't notice it when the motors are idling though, as you do on yours.
In response to BAD PHANTOM:
I made the mistake of trying to take off again after landing, while it was idling, without stopping the motors first. BAD PHANTOM. It tipped over with the throttled up props hitting the ground, burned out the ESC and cracked the motor mount area. This was the only time it ever tipped it over, and the reason was because I didn't turn the motors off before the second lift off. Idling after landing seems to confuse the NAZA if you attempt to lift off again without stopping and restarting the motors first.

Reactions: IflyinWY
"The #2 motor is visibly spinning slower during idle"
Which one is #2.
With the power off, how does this motor feel with respect to the others. If it is noticeably harder to manually turn than the others then you may have a bad motor.

Also, put your location in your profile and you might find other Phantom owners near you.

In response to BAD PHANTOM:
I made the mistake of trying to take off again after landing, while it was idling, without stopping the motors first. BAD PHANTOM. It tipped over with the throttled up props hitting the ground, burned out the ESC and cracked the motor mount area. This was the only time it ever tipped it over, and the reason was because I didn't turn the motors off before the second lift off. Idling after landing seems to confuse the NAZA if you attempt to lift off again without stopping and restarting the motors first.

:D Thanks for sharing that Woody. :D
I've heard all kinds of horror stories about idling. It's not an engine controlled by an accelerator, it's a motor (with blades attached to it) controlled by a computer. At least that's how I like to think of it.

Hi all. I have a Phantom 1.1.1 I took out of the box 5 days ago.
I made 5 flights with 8 take-off: 3 times I had the problem of the quad to tip-off in front direction.
I was lucky to have prop guards, so no damages.
IMU calibration done successfully, both in normal and advanced mode.
Naza software says that IMU calibration is not necessary.
Compass recalibration successfully made after every bad take off.
Before take off I wait to have > 6 satellites and wait about 20 sec. to leave the quad to record the home point(several green quick flashings).
After starting the motors I put the throttle in the middle and wait some seconds the motors to equalize( I have the impression that the front motors take more time to get speed than the rear).
Then I push the trottle at about 3/4 of the speed: 5 times over 8 everything was OK, but 3 times the quad was tipping on the front and could not take off. In 2 of 3 times I had a SJ4000 camera mounted(no WiFi).
I read in another forum that people with the same problem waits the heat-up, satellite lock and home point recording, then switch to ATTI mode and take off in Atti mode, to return to GPS after the take off: in this way the problem seems to be solved.
Someone else has the problem and try to compensate the tipping on the front pushing back the right stick.
What do you think?

Had that exact same problem, didnt really know the cause but after a week of flying the phantom it stopped doing it.

When the Phantom is sitting on the ground before takeoff the flight controller has no idea if the front is heavy. When it gets in the air it will compensate for it. The first time I "tried" to fly my FC40 after installing a gimbal and camera it tilted forward and tore up the front props. I started giving it full throttle to get it up .
Recently I built a F550 with E600 motors. Kinda like putting a Corvette motor in a Volkswagen , the first flight I gave it full throttle ...it launched so hard I thought I was having a fly away.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4