Issues with P3A

Reaction score
Guys I have been having weird little glitches with my P3A.

First of all couple of days ago I lost connection for about a second to the AC at about 175 ft altitude and probably 850ft, something that has been happening quite often.

I also wanted to test the RTH feature, so I pushed the RTH button in the RC, right after I lost connection to the AC, nothing happened. I waited for about 2 minutes, I could see aircraft hovering but it never moved back to the home position.

I am also getting error messages of loss of GPS when I connected to 18 satellites. I am trying to make sense of the flight records but I do not know what make out of the flight record.

Also I get compass error quite a bit.

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

This flight records shows that I was flying at 6,200 ft ??? That's impossible, I was only flying at no more than 200 ft. what is going on?

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

should I be contacting DJI on this issue.

If it is still under warranty I would contact DJI

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

If it is still under warranty I would contact DJI

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just got it about a 3 weeks ago...

What firmware is everything on? Since you're having big problems you have nothing to lose updating all firmware to the latest, doing calibrations afterwards and seeing if it settles down. Firmware update process is a bit involved depending on what firmware you're on currently. Read, read, and read again the wealth of information here about firmware updates and understand what you're doing beofre you do it. But before I'd send everything back- which you may have to regardless- I'd at least try to get everything up to date and calibrated. Good luck.

In the 1st log you were too close to home point to RTH. You must be 20m or more away. Otherwise it will just land in place.
Your 2nd log is a mystery. Never seen anything like it.
Make sure your startup order is correct.
RC then AC then go app.
When warmup is complete. Check sensor screen for correct mod values. Should be 0,1,1400-1500 for compass. If not try imu calibration.

Nothing makes sense about that log. 100V battery, unknown flight modes, .. Im guessing the log file was corrupted, or there is some issue with phantomhelp or a firmware compatibility issue. I wouldnt jump to any conclusions based on that.

Does not look very happy.

Worth contacting DJI support and ask for assistance (or return to seller if possible for exchange).

Like another recent post I've read regarding their Phantom 3A. Sounds like the same issues as mine, its arriving today at DJI for warranty work.

DJI's customer service has been very good so far.

In the 1st log you were too close to home point to RTH. You must be 20m or more away. Otherwise it will just land in place.

Trackman1, that's the mystery, in the 1st log I had to be over 100 ft away (distance wise) I could hardly see the chopper when I pressed the RTH button, the logs do not add up. When I contacted DJI's web chat tech support, they specifically asked me to make sure that I was at the latest firmware across the board.

Like another recent post I've read regarding their Phantom 3A. Sounds like the same issues as mine, its arriving today at DJI for warranty work.

DJI's customer service has been very good so far.

What is wrong with yours ?

The P3A unit would be calibrated as per the instructions, all sensors within normal range, GPS > 16 Sats, but sometime in the flight the "compass error" message would come up followed by the "ATTI" mode warning, or GPS warning. At this point the craft would be in ATTI mode with no functioning compass. No the greatest situation if you are far away. As suddenly as the error came in, it would leave. 2 minutes later, it would happen again. Essentially the errors were intermittent in nature -unknown cause.

Make sure your startup order is correct.
RC then AC then go app.
When warmup is complete. Check sensor screen for correct mod values. Should be 0,1,1400-1500 for compass. If not try imu calibration.

Another mystery is that, on the first log, when I initiated RTH I was far, far away from the AC I could hardly see it. According the app in my iPad the chopper was about 155 ft high and close to 700 ft from the home point. Yet the flight log shows that I was way closer than that.
Something is definitely wrong here, needless to say the AC is on its way to DJI for troubleshooting.

I have to also say that DJI's tech support so far has been very responsive. I opened a trouble ticket first thing morning. In less than 2hrs I received an email with a case number and a UPS label with return instructions. Reason I take the time to mention this is because I have read other posts in this forum how slow the response is from DJI's tech support.

I am going to update this thread with DJI's findings on the mystery logs.

Properly Calibrate the Compass and then try to fly without using the Autotake-off feature and see if there is an improvement.

Properly Calibrate the Compass and then try to fly without using the Autotake-off feature and see if there is an improvement.

I have never used the Autotake-off feature. I manually performed the takeoff and manually landed the AC. That is what is weird about this whole thing, what is going on ??

I have never used the Autotake-off feature. I manually performed the takeoff and manually landed the AC. That is what is weird about this whole thing, what is going on ??

I saw it on the online viewer and then posted. I downloaded both files and ran them through a different converter that I use for more detailed work. The 2nd file is corrupt. This is the 2nd time I have ever seen a file like yours. The other one was just a few days ago from someone that lost their P3 due to a fly-away. He says dji responded and said they would replace the aircraft.

There was no real way of knowing why his P3 took off on him. I have diagnosed 6 other aircraft since his, but I pretty sure his may have been from not properly calibrating the compass.

I really think you need to explain your process you go through to the point of launching the aircraft. Also you might want to take a picture of your aircraft's sensor readings. That would be the page in the GO app that shows the IMU and Compass numbers.

If this is issue has been somewhat consistent, then I suggest that you DO NOT fly anymore until you can get an idea what is going on.

Btw, you don't have to say anything to what I'm going to say but, you should pick just a couple of people that take advice from. Otherwise you will get numerous people making a lot of suggestions and if you try and follow all of them it can become confusing and possibly get yourself on the wrong path.

Reactions: Excavator99
Btw, you don't have to say anything to what I'm going to say but, you should pick just a couple of people that take advice from. Otherwise you will get numerous people making a lot of suggestions and if you try and follow all of them it can become confusing and possibly get yourself on the wrong path.

Here is what I did, I contacted DJI's tech support and was asked to sent the AC to them. I received the unit back today with a report of the work that was performed under warranty, total turn around time was 5 business days. The description shows the following items:

- Phantom 3 adv/pro right landing gear module. Qty 1 - Unit Price (USD) - 10
- Phantom main control board module V2 (FXZY). Qty 1 - Unit Price (USD) - 128
- Total Amount $138
- Total Payment $0 - Warranty.

I have to say that their tech support's customer service and response is quite impressive. I am going to take it later for an spin to see how she does.

Thank you all taking time out of your hectic schedules to look at my logs.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4