Is your gimbal lock parallel The gimbal top section ?

Reaction score
i notice that the plastic gimbal holder does not sit exactly parallel but Infact there is a gap, the more you go towards the open side of the attachment. It does not sit flush with the top part of the gimbal but has a slight angle downwards. Is that the case for everyone too ?

Yeah, couldn't seem to get mine perfectly straight either. I figure as long as the gimbal isn't moving, it's fine. Kind of annoying though.

same... DJI is awesome, let's under design one of the most important bits... and no lens cap!!! seriously?

I cant understand how there is not more people annoyed. I love my P3, but do i think i got value for money in terms of build quality... NO!

Sorry, but there is an old saying. If you don't like the Ford then buy a Chevy. Not everything is as it seems all the time. We are all aftermarket design engineers. We could do it better. But the key is does it meet form, fit, and function. If it does then it's doing it job. Is it quality or quality assurance, big difference. All in all I thing it's a good product for the $$$ but what do I know, I'm just a user like you guys. Kind of like being married, notice all the good points and overlook the bad cause they can haunt you and worry you to death. Enjoy flying!!

Reactions: Jstic and Julius717
So you buy a Ford because of adverting blurb that says it has airbags, when it arrives it does not...

features they marketed it could do then does not... POI etc etc etc... A very poorly created user manual... Yes this will all get sorted out... but the issue I have is do they really respect their customers... I have watched loads of unboxings 90% of the gimbals fell off on real life unboxings when the P3 was removed from the box!

Don't get me wrong I love the P3, I just think it was RUSHED to market leaving many of us disappointed...

We bought a Mercedes that sometimes feels like a Ford... All I am saying is that when other drone manufacturers catch up many of us will consider that Chevy...

Last edited:
Please show me something remotely comparable to the p3 that isn't made by DJI?

These features people are complaining about will he available soon. Saying you went for a Mercedes and got a Ford is ridiculous. There is nothing else out there period that compares to the P3.

Show me another all in one quad with 4k , light bridge, FPV, GPS that's only 1200.

Have some patience and enjoy the quad ,and just think it's only going to get better as the app gets refined.

Reactions: Jstic and maher
you completely miss the point of what i said... please re-read... It is necessary to read RoyVa's opinion to understand this in context...

When you are promised things in marketing material and when your Mercedes arrives you cannot use it because the did not include the software to drive it... it behaves like a Ford... i.e. the Firmware issues, the Pilot App issues, etc etc etc.

If you read again you will see I like my P3, but I am very disappointed that we have to wait for DJI to sort out stuff like all the disconnect... have you not seen all the issues relating to this?

So, some nube ditches his quad into a busy road because he has a disconnect and panics... How does this benefit the community as a whole... in this instance I would blame DJI, especially when they market it as a product you can fly with little or no experience...

I am prepared to bet that in 6 months there will be 2 quads with similar features and in 2 years DJI phantoms will be average... As I said previously... They need to be careful how they roll things out, because when people need to make their next decision... it may not be DJI...

It plain and simply was released too early! I love what is does, but am often concerned by issues such as my firmware not updating no matter what i have done, only to be told by DJI that it "should be ok"... So does that mean if I crashes... it should be ok? It simply was not thoroughly tested properly...

You get that kind of response from Ford and not Mercedes...

Hey I bought a Mercedes, but cant find the live streaming option you promised... Really???

Hey you can program your own POI... sorry we have not released the SDK yet...

Again, it is a great toy... but without a second battery... it is... a PROPLAY :)

When you buy a Mercedes, do you have to go to a 3rd Party to repair or replace a part (gimbal) that is simply flawed? Why does DJI not replace them all after all it is dodgy... The gimbal support is an important part... dozens of (true) unboxings show the gimbal fall off or is not even on when pulled out the box...

Last edited:
Tears ..lots of tears.

Reactions: Jstic
is that your comeback? Sad... come back with a decent reply...

Last edited:
It took me 5mn to design a lens cap from a plastic pills bottle cover and yes my gimbal lock felt off when unboxing my P3P, but never after because I find out pretty fast how to correctly secure it.

The P3 is way better than the P2 and at a price that cannot compete with the previous model when you take in account all the add-on you have to buy and install by yourself afterwards.

Things are not perfect, but they are going forward in the right direction and faster that I thought. I'd rather have my P3 sooner with only 1 battery, exploring it slowly, planning my tests more effectively, than getting everything I've ordered at the end of the summer, with just a few weeks to enjoy it before putting it on a shelve for the whole winter.

I've spent enough money trying, all by myself, to build a working and useful filming platform, learning to solve all the details of the last culprit that inevitably arise at each step of the process, that I really appreciate a great RTF solution as the DJI P3 for such a price...

Reactions: Stephan
Maher totally fair call...

but if you are one of us who is experiencing disconnects (two of the 3 tabs I have are "recommended", video switching off randomly.

I took it down to a really long desolate beach, 1.5 km out it disconnected, rebooting the tablet was the only thing that solved it... with 4-5 mins of waiting and wondering what has happened to the P3...Not cool.

But if I had a setup which was working fine, I would be saying "Tears, lots of tears..." too.

Ok with you guys if we get back to the original topic?

My gimbal clamp looks straight to me:
image.jpg

My P3 arrived with the clamp falling off and it took me a day or 2 to figure out how it's supposed to attach. Before that it would be crooked and feel like it was binding. The way it sits now there is just the perfect amount of clearance to be able to wiggle the camera slightly in all axis, so I know it's not putting pressure on any pivot points.

I think my clamp was installed wrong at the factory. No way it would fall off the way it is now. The funny thing is now I can't figure out how I was able to get it lined up wrong at first.

Maher totally fair call...

but if you are one of us who is experiencing disconnects (two of the 3 tabs I have are "recommended", video switching off randomly.

I took it down to a really long desolate beach, 1.5 km out it disconnected, rebooting the tablet was the only thing that solved it... with 4-5 mins of waiting and wondering what has happened to the P3...Not cool.

But if I had a setup which was working fine, I would be saying "Tears, lots of tears..." too.

So instead of all the complaining, why don't you send your quad back to DJI and ask them to repair it, or at least look at it? Even a new Mercedes will have problems from time to time, and a Mercedes doesn't cost $999.

Ok with you guys if we get back to the original topic?

My gimbal clamp looks straight to me:
View attachment 21018

My P3 arrived with the clamp falling off and it took me a day or 2 to figure out how it's supposed to attach. Before that it would be crooked and feel like it was binding. The way it sits now there is just the perfect amount of clearance to be able to wiggle the camera slightly in all axis, so I know it's not putting pressure on any pivot points.

I think my clamp was installed wrong at the factory. No way it would fall off the way it is now. The funny thing is now I can't figure out how I was able to get it lined up wrong at first.

how did you fix it?

how did you fix it?
The little channel protruding from the top of the clamp in the center of this photo:
image.jpg

Goes in between the 2 metal fins under the gimbal on the left side of the left-right pivot point:
image.jpg

Like this:
image.jpg

Use light pressure pushing the clamp into that slot or can be hard to remove.

Last edited:
Jstic, the car analogy was not mine, but glad u recognise that Mercs dont $999... DJI say it is a firmware issue... I must wait...

In this case many Mercs have an issue and DJI is silent...

Hence my complete freckin irritation...

Jstic, the car analogy was not mine, but glad u recognise that Mercs dont $999... DJI say it is a firmware issue... I must wait...

In this case many Mercs have an issue and DJI is silent...

Hence my complete freckin irritation...

Thanx for explaining, didn't realize you were waiting on a firmware update to help with the problem. Good luck.

As said above my firmware upgrade has failed... And cannot update, still sits on 1.1.8 despite all efforts.
Suck it up they say. Thanks. Lets see. Personally I think I have a dud. And should I fly it and crash I have to prove that it was a drone issue... So pretty much no flying is done.

This is mine

You can see it's not flush and yes its plastic is slotted into the metal gap

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 506

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members