Is wifi allowed on the GoPro?

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently got a phantom 2 with gimball. I just got a new gopro 3+ silver and would like to use to take some aerial shots of our house. I was planning on using the gopro app on my ipad to get a preview and take shots, and have a (short range) FPV while flying. I know both are on same frequencies, but DJI doesn't seem to mention to turn off Wifi on it? I obviously want to avoid a fly-away, but wanted to check other's experience..

cheers
phil

Your instinct is correct, you do NOT want to use the gopro app while flying...the transmitter on the gopro itself can drown out your control signal as soon as it's 15-20 feet away from you. It's happened to a lot of unsuspecting pilots, and usually results in some type of crash.

scratch009 said:
Hi,

I recently got a phantom 2 with gimball. I just got a new gopro 3+ silver and would like to use to take some aerial shots of our house. I was planning on using the gopro app on my ipad to get a preview and take shots, and have a (short range) FPV while flying. I know both are on same frequencies, but DJI doesn't seem to mention to turn off Wifi on it? I obviously want to avoid a fly-away, but wanted to check other's experience..

cheers
phil

Verbotten!

Ok, thanks for the quick reply.. and I sure will not try it then. Is just turning off the wifi on the gopro safe then. I heard people wrapping theirs in tin-foil .. but this was on a blade qnx350

scratch009 said:
Ok, thanks for the quick reply.. and I sure will not try it then. Is just turning off the wifi on the gopro safe then. I heard people wrapping theirs in tin-foil .. but this was on a blade qnx350

Gopro's have been notorious for wifi issues with that (not staying off when it's supposed to). As a rule of thumb, I always pop the battery out of my camera and then back in just before flying. As long as you don't manually turn the wifi on again after that before flying you should be fine. I went to the extra step of removing the external wifi button from my gopro just to insure it doesn't get bumped on accidentally (which it's very easy to do with the gimbal I use).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers