Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Is this type of use considered commercial/require licensing?

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations' started by Josh_101, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Josh_101

I work for a community at the OBX. A DJI Inspire was purchased for us to use during the off season, no renters are around. Mainly checking the beach dunes after a strong nor'easter storm, because their are times when we can't take a truck out on the beach due to high tide or erosion. So I suppose that puts it under land surveying, but for our own use, and no money to be made from it. Just inspecting dunes. Today we just started looking into the registration and licensing aspect of the these drones, and I'm starting to think this stuff may be a bit beyond us for just one or two uses. I've flown rc aircraft recreationally for a few years not too long ago, and currently have a little micro drone, but none of my co workers have any extensive experience with rc aircraft.

Are we screwed?

#1 Josh_101, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. Helihover

Try and find a company who will train you guys. I could help you guys out if you were in the Portland Area, but I'm sure there are other companies out there willing to assist. Good luck!

Falcon900 likes this.
  3. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

If it's used "By" a business than you'll have a hard time justifying to the FAA how it's not commercial.

I wouldn't say screwed at all and the registration is a snap and the test is VERY doable. For less than a couple of expensive nights out you could be a legal and registered drone operation. Just stay safe and always know WHERE you're flying as many places in your area are off limits unfortunately.

Nickster likes this.
  4. Josh_101

I looked through a sample of the test, it leads me to believe I'll need a handbook with all info needed to search through during the test. How does this all go?

5. N42742

Approved Vendor

Al took the words right out of my mouth. If it is in furtherance of a commercial project or business, it's commercial.

BigAl07 likes this.
  6. N42742

Approved Vendor

I think you're referring to the "Knowledge Test Supplement". You will have a hardcopy of that when you take the test.