Is this true?

Reaction score
Hi guys

I was reading through p2v sticky about fly way

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4938

One of the steps indicates that you're not suppose to calibrate the compass before every flight.

Is the Op talking about calibrating the compass via software or via compass dance.

3) Do not calibrate your compass before every flight, this is not necessary and may actually increase your chance of having a problem.

I am so afraid of fly ways that I do the compass dance every time before I take off, wait 1-2 minutes to get it locked etc. I'm still in phantom mode.

Can someone explain to me why calibrating the compass via pc (If pc) will increase the chance of fly away.

It's not neccessary to calibrate compass every flight only if you notice drifting while hovering and/or erratic behavior. People who do it every flight is just precautionary. Re: flyaway because of too much compass cal is baloney.

General rule of thumb is to perform compass cal when flying in new location (usually a good distance from last location) Not to be confused w/IMU calibration which basically resets parameters of NAZA - similar to cleaning your computer memory.

You should recalibrate every time you fly from a different location. I recalibrate quite often. just to make sure that this part of my pre-flight check list is ok. I don't see how it could create problems.

sergekouper said:
You should recalibrate every time you fly from a different location. I recalibrate quite often. just to make sure that this part of my pre-flight check list is ok. I don't see how it could create problems.

The only problem it may cause is that, if you live in an area of high magnetic declination, doing a compass calibration may (and I don't know if it does or not) wipe the data that the Phantom's firmware "learns" and stores from previous flights about to handle the high declination. Should this happen, you may get a few minutes of wobbly flight until the firmware relearns how to handle it.

Not an issue for those of us in Western Europe, where magnetic declination is low.

gamechanger said:
Is the Op talking about calibrating the compass via software or via compass dance.
I think they are the same. It's just how you initiate it. You still do the dance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl