Is this the reason they are falling out of the sky???

When hoang re links his flight log you will see battery looked good. He was doing full rated speed in atti mode at one point so nicely loaded current wise and no cell voltage sag differences.

Question. What should I do with the battery that was in the bird during crash ? Trash it ? No visual damage. That I can see

If its not puffed, charges and looks good balance wise id give it a couple.of gentle flights watching it closely and keep it in service if it checks out.

I could be crazy or grasping at straws but with all these P3's falling out of the sky I have been trying to figure out what the common denominator is.

So far something I seem to have noticed is that the ones failing midair with no explanation have the older motor style? Which means they have the older ESC centre board. Is there maybe an issue with the original centre board or motors, that prompted DJI to make the revision to the 2312a motors and v2 centre board, that is causing these machines to commit suicide ?? If this is the case maybe it will help expedite the warranty / replacement process ?

Please give me your experience if you have had an unexplained crash.

6107eeac838211e0064543da3dca5338.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
No. Or in other words, it could be this. Or it could be aliens.

Reactions: gppms
It would be nice to talk to one of the repair guys that works in the repair facility, and find out what the most common failure is.

It would be nice to talk to one of the repair guys that works in the repair facility, and find out what the most common failure is.
Good thinking 86 but ial bet DJI wont give any insight... i have spoken to an authorised DJI repairer who mentioned some trends with ESC/main board failure, IMU, calibration but suprisingly most common was people not understanding RTH, Lipo care, and how to fly in ATTI mode (panicking when GPS lost). If i belive them hardware failure is rare on the P3.

Good thinking 86 but ial bet DJI wont give any insight... i have spoken to an authorised DJI repairer who mentioned some trends with ESC/main board failure, IMU, calibration but suprisingly most common was people not understanding RTH, Lipo care, and how to fly in ATTI mode (panicking when GPS lost). If i belive them hardware failure is rare on the P3.

Well that's good to know.

I could be crazy or grasping at straws but with all these P3's falling out of the sky I have been trying to figure out what the common denominator is.

So far something I seem to have noticed is that the ones failing midair with no explanation have the older motor style? Which means they have the older ESC centre board. Is there maybe an issue with the original centre board or motors, that prompted DJI ...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have logged in excess of 120,000m of flight (75 miles) on old motors. There is no issue with old motors. Many others have been happily flying away with no issues on phantoms with old motors. If there was an issue, they would have been falling from the sky since last April when they came out first, wouldn't they? DJI announced that the new motors were as a result of improved manufacturing processes (to make them cheaper to manufacture, likely).

Coming on a public forum and questioning whether old motors are the result of drops from the sky is, in my opinion, unnecessary scaremongering. If you have hard evidence to back up the old motor fail, then let's have it. Also, since the new motors came out, many, many experienced members did hard back-to-back testing and came up with the conclusion that they were a bit quieter, but that's all. No discernible performance difference.

There are so many scare stories out there with little factual basis to them. And as an 'old hand' on this forum, this worries me. But then again, we've seen it all before, and probably will again.

Happy flying, with new - or old - motors.

There is a difference in how long the batteries last, albeit not much. They seem to run cooler. And yes they sound quite a bit different.

Having both personally if I was made to chose I would take the new ones.

I've not noticed any difference in battery life.

If an ESC burns out on the new motors you will need to replace the _entire_ board with the new motors, not just a single ESC. This is going to cost a _lot_ more. It's cheaper for DJI to put everything on one board but it costs a _lot_ more to fix any type of failure.

There is no actual proof that they changed motors to save cost .. That's just people with the old motors trying to convince themselves what they have is better.

I do however agree a lot of it may be due to the cold & people not upgrading to 1.6.

I have a p3a with the old Motors and a p3p with the new ones and personally prefer the new ones (so far) in every aspect.

I'm now wondering if the new firmware is somehow optimized for the 800kv motors and when the p3 is pushed its overloading the mosfets on the older centre boards with the 960kv motors? Reminiscent of what seemed to be happening to some people when DJI revised the motors on the p2v+ and ran them with the old esc's and people were having issues ??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Cant be that theory because other than the damage cause by the crash nothing was damaged inside the bird at all

I've not noticed any difference in battery life.

If an ESC burns out on the new motors you will need to replace the _entire_ board with the new motors, not just a single ESC. This is going to cost a _lot_ more. It's cheaper for DJI to put everything on one board but it costs a _lot_ more to fix any type of failure.

Whether new or old motors .. The ESC's are integrated into the center board. This is not built the same way older phantoms were built with individual ESC's for each motor

Whether new or old motors .. The ESC's are integrated into the center board. This is not built the same way older phantoms were built with individual ESC's for each motor

Yes, but ALL P3s have been built this way - old motors or new. No difference.

Yes, but ALL P3s have been built this way - old motors or new. No difference.

Yes ... I was referring to tcope's comment. I forgot to quote it.

My original thoughts were that somehow this has something in common with the ESC failure problems the p2v+ when DJI changed the motors. But only a hypothesis.

I wonder why they seem to have issues with ESC's failing. I'm also guessing that a lot of these crashes are due to the battery characteristics in cold weather.

I wonder why they seem to have issues with ESC's failing. I'm also guessing that a lot of these crashes are due to the battery characteristics in cold weather.

What ESC failures? I haven't heard anything about P3 ESC failures?

The guys that interrogate the .DAT files almost always come up with a valid reason as to why a crash occurs. Their analysis is legendary.

There is a lot of mis-information on this forum with a lack of hard evidence to back up the claims. That's just my opinion though - formed in the 30 months of membership. It comes in waves.

This is what I was referring to happy days , in regards to ESC/ main board failure. Guess you missed it

Take lam's flight dat and get it analyzed and tell us what happened.

There are so many scare stories out there with little factual basis to them. And as an 'old hand' on this forum, this worries me. But then again, we've seen it all before, and probably will again.
That post sums up a lot pretty well. Forums are full of half-baked scare stories and myths and it can be difficult to sort the true from wacky.
Evidence and proper testing of hypotheses are rarely considered and the unlikely explanations easily pick up supporters and become commonly accepted forum factoids.
If you go by the noise in forums, you get the idea that Phantoms are flying away, cracking and falling from the sky and DJI is conspiring to find new ways to stop you from having fun with your Phantom..

I've only got 320km showing on my tablet (plus another 70km from earlier flights) for my original motor P3 and I'd happily buy another one with the same motors.
All the evidence I've seen makes me suspect that most of the conjecture about new/old motors is completely inaccurate.
Both are just fine.

That post sums up a lot pretty well. Forums are full of half-baked scare stories and myths and it can be difficult to sort the true from wacky.
Evidence and proper testing of hypotheses are rarely considered and the unlikely explanations easily pick up supporters and become commonly accepted forum factoids.
If you go by the noise in forums, you get the idea that Phantoms are flying away, cracking and falling from the sky and DJI is conspiring to find new ways to stop you from having fun with your Phantom..

I've only got 320km showing on my tablet (plus another 70km from earlier flights) for my original motor P3 and I'd happily buy another one with the same motors.
All the evidence I've seen makes me suspect that most of the conjecture about new/old motors is completely inaccurate.
Both are just fine.

[emoji106]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj