Is this the reason they are falling out of the sky???

Reaction score
I could be crazy or grasping at straws but with all these P3's falling out of the sky I have been trying to figure out what the common denominator is.

So far something I seem to have noticed is that the ones failing midair with no explanation have the older motor style? Which means they have the older ESC centre board. Is there maybe an issue with the original centre board or motors, that prompted DJI to make the revision to the 2312a motors and v2 centre board, that is causing these machines to commit suicide ?? If this is the case maybe it will help expedite the warranty / replacement process ?

Please give me your experience if you have had an unexplained crash.

6107eeac838211e0064543da3dca5338.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The problem has nothing to do with the "old" design. The new design was _only_ done to save cost in manufacture. Most of the issues were due to colder batteries reporting a charge higher then was really in the battery and then the battery being put under full load. This caused them to drop to the critical charge level that DJI set and they turned off to protect themselves. This has been addressed in the 1.6 firmware release.

The problem has nothing to do with the "old" design. The new design was _only_ done to save cost in manufacture. Most of the issues were due to colder batteries reporting a charge higher then was really in the battery and then the battery being put under full load. This caused them to drop to the critical charge level that DJI set and they turned off to protect themselves. This has been addressed in the 1.6 firmware release.
Exactly. Want to know why these things are dropping? People aren't applying 1.6 to fix the problem.

There is no actual proof that they changed motors to save cost .. That's just people with the old motors trying to convince themselves what they have is better.

I do however agree a lot of it may be due to the cold & people not upgrading to 1.6.

I have a p3a with the old Motors and a p3p with the new ones and personally prefer the new ones (so far) in every aspect.

I'm now wondering if the new firmware is somehow optimized for the 800kv motors and when the p3 is pushed its overloading the mosfets on the older centre boards with the 960kv motors? Reminiscent of what seemed to be happening to some people when DJI revised the motors on the p2v+ and ran them with the old esc's and people were having issues ??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

its the cold if you live in a cold climate keep your batterys warm prior to flight

There is no actual proof that they changed motors to save cost .. That's just people with the old motors trying to convince themselves what they have is better.
Actually that information comes direct from DJI and they are very clear about this.

I have a p3a with the old Motors and a p3p with the new ones and personally prefer the new ones (so far) in every aspect.
There is no difference in performance. I will say that they sound different at idle accelerating but that is all.

Actually that information comes direct from DJI and they are very clear about this.

I read the info they provided .. They couldn't say anything else if they wanted to. Everyone would be sending their old ones back.

There is no difference in performance. I will say that they sound different at idle accelerating but that is all.

There is a difference in how long the batteries last, albeit not much. They seem to run cooler. And yes they sound quite a bit different.

Having both personally if I was made to chose I would take the new ones.

Waiting on my bird to get back from Dji support now . P3p and four batteries less than a wk old when this occurred to me. What I thought was full charge , flew around for 10-12 minutes and ConTinued to fly more I my back yard to deplete the battery some more ( was at 50% ish ) when all of a sudden he leds on the bird goes off and motor stops and bird falls on its side 15 ish feet to the grass. The gimbal is separated from the bird but other than that. The landing gear ( legs) seems to be bent . Temperature was little bit chilly not had maybe 55/60 degrees . I always charge my batteries to full and fly almost everyday. Firmware 1.5 after crash I was reciewjng my logs on the app and I get the update message . Sent in to Dji for repair , they emailed me 1/4 stating that it is now checked into their system for repair . Last I talked to a rep they said they swamped with repairs and return time is 8 weeks . I'm not too familiar with their Rma process but once checked in I thought they was suppose to asssss the damages and email me with the parts and services needing to be done and what is and what isn't covered by warranty . Then any work not covered by warranty must be denied or paid for before any work is done . When checking the online repair status checker , mines says its in repair and next step is being delivered to me . I was never given a repair quote or warranty quote . For payment it says payment confirmed , I haven't made any payments for repairs . So does that mean warranty covers it. ? In another thread another member says yes warranty covered it in his case which seemed very similar to mines . Also stated Dji never explained the root cause of the malfunction , not me

Waiting on my bird to get back from Dji support now . P3p and four batteries less than a wk old when this occurred to me. What I thought was full charge , flew around for 10-12 minutes and ConTinued to fly more I my back yard to deplete the battery some more ( was at 50% ish ) when all of a sudden he leds on the bird goes off and motor stops and bird falls on its side 15 ish feet to the grass. The gimbal is separated from the bird but other than that. The landing gear ( legs) seems to be bent . Temperature was little bit chilly not had maybe 55/60 degrees . I always charge my batteries to full and fly almost everyday. Firmware 1.5 after crash I was reciewjng my logs on the app and I get the update message . Sent in to Dji for repair , they emailed me 1/4 stating that it is now checked into their system for repair . Last I talked to a rep they said they swamped with repairs and return time is 8 weeks . I'm not too familiar with their Rma process but once checked in I thought they was suppose to asssss the damages and email me with the parts and services needing to be done and what is and what isn't covered by warranty . Then any work not covered by warranty must be denied or paid for before any work is done . When checking the online repair status checker , mines says its in repair and next step is being delivered to me . I was never given a repair quote or warranty quote . For payment it says payment confirmed , I haven't made any payments for repairs . So does that mean warranty covers it. ? In another thread another member says yes warranty covered it in his case which seemed very similar to mines . Also stated Dji never explained the root cause of the malfunction , not me

Sounds like you are covered Lam !!

If they give you any grief call them in LA and give them a piece of your mind. But It sounds like you are good to go !!!

Keep me posted on what was the issue !! And did you have the new of old style motors!!

@P3P Canada sorry forgot to mention new style motors. On 1.5 whole setup less than a week old with over 70 flights so far

And man I do hope they taking care of it for me . No hiccups until this . Even if they do cover repairs hinder warranty , it would be nice to actually know what went wrong and/or if I did something wrong.

@P3P Canada sorry forgot to mention new style motors. On 1.5 whole setup less than a week old with over 70 flights so far

And man I do hope they taking care of it for me . No hiccups until this . Even if they do cover repairs hinder warranty , it would be nice to actually know what went wrong and/or if I did something wrong.
What clues did your log file give you about the cause?

Yeah, its lucky you didnt end up going through a car windscreen or a neighbours roof looking at the flight path, esp given you were well over 400 feet. This has actually ended well for you.

The over 400 ft thing was carelessness on my part. It was ascending in one spot and not paying attention how far up I actually was. But the majority of the path was at 130-160 ft until the last few minutes hovering 15-20 ft in my backyard. still no clue as to why it fell out the sky

Hey im not judging how you should fly- you make your own risk assesment and do your thing. Just thinking how these things could end sometimes. Im no expert (far from it) on logs but from what i can see in the upload no obvious clues that would suggest a warranty issue. The dat file on the phantom may give dji a better story.

Did you delete you
The over 400 ft thing was carelessness on my part. It was ascending in one spot and not paying attention how far up I actually was. But the majority of the path was at 130-160 ft until the last few minutes hovering 15-20 ft in my backyard. still no clue as to why it fell out the sky
Did you delete your post with the link to the healthy drones log? Thats a shame, there are some really clued up and helpful people here that probably could have given us all some useful insight.

My bird fell out of the sky at the end of October. Perfect conditions, sunny, inside the parking lot of my hometown park at the top of a mountain. No powerlines. Battery at 94% I warmed up my P3A at 50 feet. I closed up my truck, and got ready to video the entire length of the park. Lanyard on, iPad mini being my eyes, 20/20. Left joystick up!!! the motors stopped, and he came down in a hurry. The camera smashed right off, the legs bent but not broken, the body not broken, but opened up and shut back as as a couple of the tabs were now exposed from the landing. The blades were in tact. I sent the unit to California, and it was back to me within 3 weeks. I live in Vancouver, BC all at DJI's expense. I had asked for a synopsis of what was discovered to no avail.They only provided a list of the materials that were replaced. Body, Legs, Camera.

I could be crazy or grasping at straws but with all these P3's falling out of the sky I have been trying to figure out what the common denominator is.

So far something I seem to have noticed is that the ones failing midair with no explanation have the older motor style? Which means they have the older ESC centre board. Is there maybe an issue with the original centre board or motors, that prompted DJI to make the revision to the 2312a motors and v2 centre board, that is causing these machines to commit suicide ?? If this is the case maybe it will help expedite the warranty / replacement process ?

Did you delete you

Did you delete your post with the link to the healthy drones log? Thats a shame, there are some really clued up and helpful people here that probably could have given us all some useful insight.
this is the first that I've seen the logs myself too will be back up shortly

This was a common problem with the p2v+ i dont think it applys to the p3's as already stated its more likely due to the voltage problems with the batteries which hopefully 1.6 will sort out!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31