Is this the dreaded crack?

Reaction score
Hey all - P3P for two months, and post-flight today I noticed this:

It's quite small, and it's on the top of the shell, not the bottom, where it seems the motors screw in - should I do something about this? It is a crack as I can feel it if I run my fingernail over it, but it does really seem odd that it's on the top...how in the world would that happen?

Thanks all!

You should definitely repair the crack if not replacing the shell.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

As long as you didn't crash your Phantom, DJI will likely repair that under warranty. Contact DJI support if you want to look into that. Your other option would be to replace the shell yourself.

yep that is a crack

would this disqualify me from a shell replacement?
I wouldn't think so. But, that would be up to DJI to decide. If you send your Phantom in, I'm assuming they are going to check out your flight logs to ensure it was not crashed.

upload_2016-8-7_22-21-3.png

K, wrote to DJI support and hopefully they'll take care of me.

What's weird though is that it in the *top* shell, not the bottom - aren't most stress cracks in the bottom due to the motor mounts and everything else being connected to the bottom?

Thinking of ordering some UAV Bits Strong Arm plates because I'm paranoid now, but I'm not even sure they would have prevented a crack on the top shell.

Also, do I need to fly like an old lady now? I never do acrobatics or such, but I do push the right stick all the way forward when I want to move, then return it to middle all at once.....do I need to slowly accelerate and brake to prevent this in the future? I'm sure that would be easier on the airframe but that would really kinda be a drag.......

Hey all - P3P for two months, and post-flight today I noticed this:

It's quite small, and it's on the top of the shell, not the bottom, where it seems the motors screw in - should I do something about this? It is a crack as I can feel it if I run my fingernail over it, but it does really seem odd that it's on the top...how in the world would that happen?

Thanks all!
Contact DJI I had the same thing happen to me , No crash either. DJI emailed a self paid label to put on the box to ship it back..
IMG_20160403_153830229_HDR - Copy.jpg

There it is - thanks Phxbird.

Dangit though, I'm leaving in a week and a half for a short trip and I *really* wanted to take my Phantom because it will be an exceptional place to fly......maybe I'll fly it just a bit more and see if the crack gets worse, because I would love to take it with me :/ But, it's not worth risking a total loss, either.

There it is - thanks Phxbird.

Dangit though, I'm leaving in a week and a half for a short trip and I *really* wanted to take my Phantom because it will be an exceptional place to fly......maybe I'll fly it just a bit more and see if the crack gets worse, because I would love to take it with me :/ But, it's not worth risking a total loss, either.
is it worse losing the drone? It's going to get worse. My turn around time was one week I shipped it out on a Monday and had it back to me he next Monday. I don't know where you live but if in the US you will probably ship it to Carlson Ca. I'm in Arizona right next door. They replaced the shell. If you talk to them they might be able to speed it up alright knowing what it wrong.

Truth, 'bird. Hopefully they'll get back with me tomorrow. Hopefully in a week and a half they can get it back! Was stupid, wishful thinking to try and wait and fly her then - but I've heard great things about their customer service, so I'll have a story of my own soon.

Still, I'm not thrilled this happened in the first place - anybody else take precautions to keep this from happening, or is it just the luck of the weak-plastic-shell?

see if you can contact them now i'm thinking it's 15 hours ahead of me and it's 9:44 pm here. should be around 1 pm there Monday. start a chat on line so if they do send you a label you can run down to UPS early in the morning.

Good call, bird - let me try. Yes, I did balance my props, so no idea what could have caused this.

Update: Haha, just tried chat support - it's only available in Chinese until 9 AM :) But good idea though!

Id just wrap some duct tape around it as a stop gap fix until you get back from your holidays. That and make sure the motor is still securely mounted, so the crack isnt propagating in to the motor mount / screw holes. If its just the upper shell, duct tape should do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers