Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Sign up for a weekly email of the latest drone news & information

Is this the Compass Problem or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by JoeButch, Apr 18, 2014.

  1. JoeButch

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    Just upgraded to the new Phantom 2 with a H3-3D.

    First time flying with GPS lock It starts to drift immediately. i.e. I take off and as soon as i left go of the vertical controller it will drift diagonally. This isn't like the J-Hook issue. No matter what it will not stay stationary.

    Is this the same problem as the Compass calibration problem or something different? (12 degree magnetic declination btw)
     
  2. JoeButch

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    Could this maybe be wifi interference? Where I was flying (pool deck) had strong wifi.
     
  3. EMCSQUAR

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2013
    Messages:
    1,692
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    N 44.895 W 93.354 Minnesota
    It's possible but I'd start with doing an advanced IMU calibration, followed by a compass calibration. I find 99% of the time it's calibration issues when it's drifting. (the other 1% is pilot error - not knowing it's in Atti mode vs GPS) Also something easily overlooked is stick calibration. Do all of the above and you should have very easy flights.
     
  4. JoeButch

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    IMU calibration fixed it Thanks.