Is this the best all-in-one FPV package?

Reaction score
I've been shopping around for an all in one package and this seems to be the best I can find:
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Black-Pearl- ... -Mini.html

Does anyone know of a better package that includes everything, as this one does?

The only thing missing that I'd like to have is a monitor with DVR capability but I haven't found any packages with such a monitor. And I haven't found positive reviews of DVR monitors so I feel like buying one is a bit of a crapshoot.

My concern about the package from dpcav is the antennas. I know antennas can be the weakest link for FPV and they make no claims about range. Is this antenna combination going to give me really good range? How much better off would I be getting this antenna package? http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=119

TIA

You get get more economic FPV solutions elsewhere such as helipal.com. Mine is from dslrpros which is more expensive, but you send it in and they install it all.

With any kit, you can upgrade those antennas (Be sure to choose RP-SMA or SMA correctly) via FPVLR or I use the ones from: http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce.com/

Honestly, I'd build your own. Start here and then seek extra information. A lot of people have built economical yet successful systems with this information.
viewtopic.php?t=26413

Sometimes the All-In-One package is the right first-time purchase. With so many potential error points in the system, such as an incompatible receiver and the wrong SMA type. You make one specification error then you hope the vendor will take the component back and exchange it for the correct one. Any savings from DIY is lost to delays, extra shipping and possibly an extra, incompatible part the dealer won't take back.

The package you specified is pretty good. I normally would recommend an antenna upgrades right away, but this package already includes a reasonable antenna upgrade.

What's with the bias against all-in-on packages?

From what I've read, this package contains all of the best gear. What is the point of going and separately buying the monitor, the transmitter, iosd mini, etc. and ending up with all the same stuff (except maybe the antennas)? Just so I can say I did it myself? People who tell me to do it myself without specific changes they would make aren't helping much. Don't mean to sound harsh, but if you would put a package together yourself, what would you get differently? I want DVR function but didn't get any recommendations about that.

By buying separately, I don't even see a way to save money because this seems like a great price. I might buy separately to get free shipping and so I don't have to pay tax. That would save me about $50.

@SteveMann - What would you recommend as an antenna upgrade? I'm considering these two packages, but I don't know what the difference is.
http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=119
http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=106

Can someone please shed some light about these antennas?

uscpsycho said:
What's with the bias against all-in-on packages?

From what I've read, this package contains all of the best gear. What is the point of going and separately buying the monitor, the transmitter, iosd mini, etc. and ending up with all the same stuff (except maybe the antennas)? Just so I can say I did it myself? People who tell me to do it myself without specific changes they would make aren't helping much. Don't mean to sound harsh, but if you would put a package together yourself, what would you get differently? I want DVR function but didn't get any recommendations about that.

By buying separately, I don't even see a way to save money because this seems like a great price. I might buy separately to get free shipping and so I don't have to pay tax. That would save me about $50.

@SteveMann - What would you recommend as an antenna upgrade? I'm considering these two packages, but I don't know what the difference is.
http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=119
http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=106

Can someone please shed some light about these antennas?

Personally, I just know of many kits that have everything that I would want. r example, The kit you linked has "upgraded antennas" but I would still recommend FPVLR or IBcrazy antennas. So, you're paying for antennas twice.

If you don't want to search out cheaper deals (things like banggood) that's fine. But looking at individual components is still my recommendation. I'm sorry if that bothers you or you feel that isn't helpful.

Reoscorpio said:
Personally, I just know of many kits that have everything that I would want. r example, The kit you linked has "upgraded antennas" but I would still recommend FPVLR or IBcrazy antennas. So, you're paying for antennas twice.

If you don't want to search out cheaper deals (things like banggood) that's fine. But looking at individual components is still my recommendation. I'm sorry if that bothers you or you feel that isn't helpful.
Shipping from Banggood will take too long.

What I'm looking for are specific changes people would make to this package. A blanket "don't buy a package" statement isn't really helpful, it just displays bias against packages regardless of how good the package is. It's not an uncommon viewpoint on enthusiast websites, people tend to have a preference for doing everything the hard way even if there isn't much benefit.

I looked at individual components and other than the antennas this is exactly what I would buy. Unless there was a good DVR option.

I also asked for feedback regarding specific FPVLR packages. Do you have any thoughts on those, or you just think anything not I'm a package is automatically better? I'm looking for specific recommendations here.

Thanks guys.

uscpsycho said:
Reoscorpio said:

What I'm looking for are specific changes people would make to this package. A blanket "don't buy a package" statement isn't really helpful, it just displays bias against packages regardless of how good the package is. It's not an uncommon viewpoint on enthusiast websites, people tend to have a preference for doing everything the hard way even if there isn't much benefit.

I looked at individual components and other than the antennas this is exactly what I would buy. Unless there was a good DVR option.

I also asked for feedback regarding specific FPVLR packages. Do you have any thoughts on those, or you just think anything not I'm a package is automatically better? I'm looking for specific recommendations here.

Thanks guys.
As I said above, the package already has a pretty good antenna upgrade. I would wait on any further upgrade.

SteveMann said:
As I said above, the package already has a pretty good antenna upgrade. I would wait on any further upgrade.
Thank you.

I am still considering buying the components separately to save on the tax and shipping. Unfortunately, dpcav.com doesn't offer free shipping and they are in the same state so I'd have to pay tax.

If I decide to forego the package, would you still recommend buying the antennas that are in the bundle from a third party, or would you buy one of the bundles from fpvlr that I linked? If so, which one? The $50 saved on tax and shipping plus the money saved from not buying the bundled antennas would basically pay for the fpvlr kit.

Appreciate the help!

I'm in the same boat - considering getting FPV, and would probably buy a package. Would this one need a holder/bracket for the monitor?
Can't tell from looking through it.

Marlin009 said:
I'm in the same boat - considering getting FPV, and would probably buy a package. Would this one need a holder/bracket for the monitor?
Yes, a bracket is needed for the monitor. I find it very weird that everything you need is included in the package I was looking at except the bracket.

uscpsycho said:
Marlin009 said:
Yes, a bracket is needed for the monitor. I find it very weird that everything you need is included in the package I was looking at except the bracket.

Thanks. Yeah, it does seem strange.

uscpsycho said:
Reoscorpio said:

Thanks guys.

If I were in the market for antennas again, id go with these http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=119 as discussed in the other thread. Antennas seem to be the biggest bang for the buck over power, and many on this forum, RC groups, etc have had nothing but extremely positive things to say about this premium set or the standard bundle.

I had already purchased ibcrazy blubeam ultras otherwise would have gone this route as the clarity and range seem to be unbeatable.

And for the record, I bought a kit from a forum member and only realized later that I could have gotten more value by selecting individual components to maximize range and quality, that's all. Just trying to share my personal experience. And yes, if time is a priority, then options become more limited.

Reoscorpio said:
If I were in the market for antennas again, id go with these http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=119 as discussed in the other thread. Antennas seem to be the biggest bang for the buck over power, and many on this forum, RC groups, etc have had nothing but extremely positive things to say about this premium set or the standard bundle.

I had already purchased ibcrazy blubeam ultras otherwise would have gone this route as the clarity and range seem to be unbeatable.

And for the record, I bought a kit from a forum member and only realized later that I could have gotten more value by selecting individual components to maximize range and quality, that's all. Just trying to share my personal experience. And yes, if time is a priority, then options become more limited.
Thank you very much for this. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for with respect to antennas.

I'm going to get that antenna kit, the 7 channel Flysight Black Pearl diversity monitor, ImmersionRC 600mw transmitter, Iosd Mini and a plug & play cable. Sounds to me like that will be a pretty solid FPV kit!

uscpsycho said:
Reoscorpio said:

Thank you very much for this. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for with respect to antennas.

I'm going to get that antenna kit, the 7 channel Flysight Black Pearl diversity monitor, ImmersionRC 600mw transmitter, Iosd Mini and a plug & play cable. Sounds to me like that will be a pretty solid FPV kit!

I'd also recommend this mount:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/GM5TUT ... itor-mount

I tried the raveaerial (which is pretty darn good) and three cheap ones from Amazon, and the one from quest is the best of you have an extra GoPro thumbscrew and nut sitting around.

Everything is being delivered today!

With the ImmersionRC & 7ch Black Pearl, are there any frequencies that are known to work best? Any recommendations on what I should start with to reduce the trial and error? Or does it totally vary from case to case depending on what kind of radio interference you have in any given place?

there's a transmitter wattage chart floating around here that says the lower channels (1 -3) output stronger signal than the higher ones, so I'd start there

and of course just match frequencies with the receiver

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20