Is this really the quality?

Reaction score
I just got my P3 Pro and did some test flying over the weekend. I didn't like the photos that looked extremely blurry or out of focus. I just took a couple more pictures hand holding the drone. To me they still look blurry but I am used to the quality of Canon EOS 5D mark II. Can somebody please take a look and tell if this is the quality I should expect or there is something wrong with it. Everybody writes about the removing the plastic from the lens but I didn't see anything like that on mine... Thanks!

Dropbox - Phantom

You think an aircraft without wings hovering in the air on 4 rotors with a 4k camera in it is going to come close to the EOS5D sitting on a tripod? With that being said both pictures are a mess from a lighting standpoint. If you're concerned about focus depth of filed you need to familiarize yourself with aperature settings and how to use them to increase depth of field. "Most" people with an EOS 5D would know this. Right ?

Did you peel the protective film, from the front camera element? ;-) Remove all packing foam bits from the gimbal?

Just checking, some guys overlook the small stuff...
Ok carry on... Ha

RedHotPoker

Did you peel the protective film, from the front camera element? ;-) Remove all packing foam bits from the gimbal?

Just checking, some guys overlook the small stuff...
Ok carry on... Ha

RedHotPoker

I did that very thing, I flew a couple times and took pictures and was disappointed at the quality. Then I noticed the plastic over the lens. Much better quality.
(kinda embarrassed admitting it)

Oh, well sometimes guys will leave that film on a screen, of an RC radio or tv remote. But never a camera front element. If it's really not visible though, their transparency could fool someone, if they weren't looking for it. One guy thought his camera was disintigrating, when that film, peeled & blew off of his camera in mid flight. The video was on here a few months back. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Be sure and go over all the settings in the app and then try some shots with some vehicle or horizontal lines like a brick building and see what you get.

You think an aircraft without wings hovering in the air on 4 rotors with a 4k camera in it is going to come close to the EOS5D sitting on a tripod? With that being said both pictures are a mess from a lighting standpoint. If you're concerned about focus depth of filed you need to familiarize yourself with aperature settings and how to use them to increase depth of field. "Most" people with an EOS 5D would know this. Right ?
Actually, the aperture on the Phantom camera is fixed at f/2.8 which is why you need ND filters to slow the shutter speed for cinematography.

Reactions: Lefty63
I am not expecting photos to look like from the semi-pro camera. I just wanted to say where I am coming from. I would very much appreciate somebody knowledgeable in this subject to tell me if this is what I should be expecting or there is possibly something wrong with the camera. Thanks!

I am not expecting photos to look like from the semi-pro camera. I just wanted to say where I am coming from. I would very much appreciate somebody knowledgeable in this subject to tell me if this is what I should be expecting or there is possibly something wrong with the camera. Thanks!
Can you not find the original files? The ones on the microsd from the drone?

I can't see anything wrong except the tree may be slightly too close to focus well.
I think you are pixel peeping and should just get out and use it in a more typical way.

DJI_0058.jpg

I just got my P3 Pro and did some test flying over the weekend. I didn't like the photos that looked extremely blurry or out of focus. I just took a couple more pictures hand holding the drone. To me they still look blurry but I am used to the quality of Canon EOS 5D mark II.
You can't compare the images you get from a P3P to a full fame sensor. You need to be realistic: it's about the size of a mobile phone sensor.
A trick that will often help is to sharpen your DNG quite aggressively and then reduce luminance noise and (to a lesser extent) color noise by a fair bit. Images that don't require the dynamic range of the ones you posted will fare better.

Last edited:
Nope. Something is wrong

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: ullhan84

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers