Is this level of horizon tilt normal?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been flying a P3P since January, and I've noticed that the gimbal tends to drift in flight. From what I've read, it seems that this is a very common problem.

The link below is a video of a short flight and shows the degree of drift that I typically experience. I understand that it is not realistic to expect the gimbal to be 100% level, 100% of the time, but since my unit is still under warranty, I would like to exercise any options I have if it is indeed defective. Before anyone asks/suggests, I have done numerous gimbal and IMU calibrations.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

No not normal

Put accurate level on your calibrating surface and check it both ways

Also it could just be your settings but mine is getting a much clearer pic

No not normal

Put accurate level on your calibrating surface and check it both ways

I appreciate the advice, but this isn't the problem. I've done multiple calibrations on a surface that was verified with a spirit level.

I appreciate the advice, but this isn't the problem. I've done multiple calibrations on a surface that was verified with a spirit level.
Had to suggest it as its key.

Never had a crash right?

Had to suggest it as its key.

Never had a crash right?

The quality of the upload is reduced. Videos right off the SD card are superb.

Never crashed or suffered even a rough landing.

I should add that I was told by DJI to do a mid-air gimbal calibration, but I feel as if they are starting to grasp at straws. While a mid-air calibration may work (although it shouldn't have to be done) for a gimbal that has a constant tilt, I don't think it would do much for a drifting one.

Last edited:
Surprised they didn't say send it in. Sorry l couldn't help but l'm sure somebody will be able to.

While a mid-air calibration may work (although it shouldn't have to be done) for a gimbal that has a constant tilt, I don't think it would do much for a drifting one.
In response to your earlier question, yes tilted horizons are a well known problem that has plagued DJI quads through several generations. You have probably already seen in a search of this forum alone just how many times it has come up.

Good insight about the difference between a constant tilt and a drifting tilt. They are very different. Most people immediately reply back to do an IMU cal (totally level and after refrigeration!) or a gimbal cal, or to adjust the gimbal roll in the app (later the C2/camera wheel combo was added), or fix it in post, etc. Again, as you noted this is awesome for a static tilt. Sadly, they don't work well for a drifting tilt. No matter what you try or how many times you try it, none of these will fix a drifting horizon. At best, you'll think its fixed and be happy for a flight or two, but then the tilt returns.

Also, the tilt you are showing is not as bad as many have posted here. For those others with a worse drifting tilt than yours, I have suggested they send it back if still within warranty. Yours is not nearly as bad however, so it just depends on how much it bothers you. Chances are that it won't just go away no matter how many calibrations you do.

As always, just my very humble opinion.

Last edited:
Also, the tilt you are showing is not as bad as many have posted here. For those others, I have suggested they send it back if still within warranty. depends on how much it bothers you.

Very interesting. From what you've seen/heard, has DJI managed to correct the issue when a unit is sent back for repairs?

Very interesting. From what you've seen/heard, has DJI managed to correct the issue when a unit is sent back for repairs?
It does seem as though they correct it once sent back. At least that's what I have seen from the folks who have looped back here with updates. I haven't seen many details on what was actually done, but my guess is that DJI swapped out one or more components.

Reactions: JoBe
It does seem as though they correct it once sent back. At least that's what I have seen from the folks who have looped back here with updates. I haven't seen many details on what was actually done, but my guess is that DJI swapped out one or more components.

I suppose I'll push for a repair then. Hilariously, I was told by a DJI rep to calibrate the IMU (yes, the IMU) while in flight. Wouldn't this be pure lunacy? I would think an IMU calibration should be done when not subject to the effects of wind and vibration.

Thanks Oso!

My guess is that even those folks got tired of complaining and accepted there was no fix :-[

Reactions: Oso
I suppose I'll push for a repair then. Hilariously, I was told by a DJI rep to calibrate the IMU (yes, the IMU) while in flight. Wouldn't this be pure lunacy? I would think an IMU calibration should be done when not subject to the effects of wind and vibration.

Thanks Oso!
Glad you realized that advice was so COMPLETELY wrong.

Unfortunately, that's not the first example of ridiculous advice given by DJI's customer service reps. We've seen some real head scratchers reported here.

Reactions: JoBe
Oddly enough I have that on my P3A and it also tilts slowly to the left. However I did notice when it was close to the ground at head height level it wasn't a problem. I'm thinking it may be the actual lens cover as far away horizon video seems tilted to the left a little. But as soon as I'm moving and letting it fly in front of me... Then no problems. That's just my experience anyway. For me not enough to send it back to be honest. If anything it's easier to take it back to the retailer for an exchange under the 12 month warranty for a same day swap rather then weeks for DJI to get it fixed.

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

I sent my P3A in for stress cracks and DJI replaced the whole bird. The new one has had this horizon tilt problem from day one. It tilts left and right on its own when RTH is active with no stick input at all. It looks like it's on a boat. My original P3A never did it...I wish I had fixed the cracks myself. I'm going to send this one back after the leaves are off the trees...I want to get some good footage of the fall colors.

Not that is going to make a difference try replacing the anti-vibration rubber balls, there is an spare set that came with the bird.

A bit of an update...

DJI has granted an RMA for my gimbal tilt issue, and all that's left to do is box it up and ship it off to California. However, after reading the after-sales service policy, I'm a little hesitant. According to the policy with respect to warranty claims, my unit may be replaced entirely with a factory refurbished unit. While I have no issues with DJI repairing the components on my unit or replacing them with brand new ones, I don't want to be sent a factory refurbished unit or components for obvious reasons.

For those here that have made warranty claims of due to a faulty gimbal, were you sent refurbed parts?

A bit of an update...

DJI has granted an RMA for my gimbal tilt issue, and all that's left to do is box it up and ship it off to California. However, after reading the after-sales service policy, I'm a little hesitant. According to the policy with respect to warranty claims, my unit may be replaced entirely with a factory refurbished unit. While I have no issues with DJI repairing the components on my unit or replacing them with brand new ones, I don't want to be sent a factory refurbished unit or components for obvious reasons.

For those here that have made warranty claims of due to a faulty gimbal, were you sent refurbed parts?
Having looked at your vid JCD, I really wouldn't bother sending it in.
I have the left hand tilt too, but now it's just an irritant that I hardly notice anymore. You'll notice that it becomes horizontal at 15 seconds into the vid too. I've also found that if you right roll the AC hard momentarily, it brings the horizon back level too.

What ... My pics weren't aligned to the horizon, but the ground I lifted off was a bumpy rock. What's the best test to see if my phantom is tainted with this shifting plague?

What ... My pics weren't aligned to the horizon, but the ground I lifted off was a bumpy rock. What's the best test to see if my phantom is tainted with this shifting plague?
Take it up and hover on the horizon. You'll be able to see if the horizon dips on one side or the other. Mine does occasionally to the left. I right roll and it straightens up...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic