Is this Jello?

Reaction score
Is this what is referred to as Jello?
Either way why is it happening (yes I removed the Styrofoam piece long ago)

I have noticed in some of my recent videos this vibration occurring.
It seems to go away and work normal after a few seconds but I don't remember seeing this in the early videos I took

Specifically look at right after take off, around 30 seconds and again around 40 seconds
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks

That looks more like vibration. Maybe try balancing the props.

2 out of the 4 props were unbalanced on mine, worth checking out.

Interesting stuff..
Questions
If the props are not balanced would you see that vibration only under certain conditions and then have a level flight otherwise?
The video I posted above was about 2.5 minutes and those were only parts where it was vibrating.

Also what is the difference (or how do you tell/see the difference) in Jello vs unbalanced props

Here's my take on this. Balancing props may help, but the biggest culprit is fast shutter speed. Just like the Inspire, ND filters seem the best way to combat jello. The problem manifests itself especially in bright conditions.

The P3's camera just like the Inspire and just like the GoPro have a fixed aperture. You can't stop down the amount of light other than using an ND filter.

For the record, I am having the same problem.

I've done just about everything from balancing the props to recalibrating the IMU, compass and camera gimbal. Whenever the P3's shutter speed goes beyond 1/120th of a second, there are signs of jello in the video. It gets worse as shutter speed increases.

Just like my Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse gimbal and GoPro Camera, the solution is to use ND filters.

I made one for the P3 using a plastic bottle cap (fashioned as a sleeve) and a piece of ND gel. It fits snugly onto the P3's camera.

I've been told that the lens on the P3 is removable but I had no luck and did not want to force it off.

AJ

Reactions: R3AERIAL
Also make sure everything is free around the rubber balls - not transmuting vibration.
Mine was doing it under any acceleration or wind gusts, but balancing props has fixed it.
How do you balance props for the P3?

The rod is the same as you'd need on P1 or P2 - the threads are the same even though props required are different.
I only have the rod and rest it on a weighty glass tumbler.
If you check it with possibly heavy end one way then the other this works reasonably well.
I use a rather fine sandpaper and remove some material the full length of the heavy end, and mainly off the underside.

Reactions: Michael1
Nice mod. I have been making my own filters that fit over the lens instead of unscrewing it. I like your idea, but no matter how I tried I could not get the lens cover to unscrew on my P3.

Did you have a hard time unscrewing the cover?

With my P2 I carefully balanced the props but still had jello. 60p seemed better than 30 but still it wasn't really good. I tried a polarizing filter which didn't help. But an ND filter fixed it up nicely. Don't have the P3 until later in the week but I would guess it will be the same.

Nice mod. I have been making my own filters that fit over the lens instead of unscrewing it. I like your idea, but no matter how I tried I could not get the lens cover to unscrew on my P3.

Did you have a hard time unscrewing the cover?

Not difficult to unscrew, due to the inner rubber pressure it could be a little bit stuck and need to apply a little force but not much.

Secure the camera facing right with your left hand holding it's body, while the phantom 3 is standing in it's feet, and unscrew the cover downwards. Apply some force in simple movements anti-clockwise to release it, is that simple.

Mine was also a little stuck at the beginning, because of the rubber, but then it came loose. There is nothing there to broken except to be careful with the jimbal, preferably use the plastic guard while trying to unscrew it.

After the first time it will be much easier.

Hope you get it.

Thanks.

I tried as hard as I could but it still will not unscrew. It's really stuck on there. Maybe by subjecting it to hot/cold temperatures it might loosen up.

I'm not sure how much I want to mess with it since it is brand new.

Thanks.

I tried as hard as I could but it still will not unscrew. It's really stuck on there. Maybe by subjecting it to hot/cold temperatures it might loosen up.

I'm not sure how much I want to mess with it since it is brand new.

I haven't tried it yet because I don't have a need. But I was told that the less you press and hold it to unscrew the better. Try just a little holding pressure, or two sided tape around the outside but don't force it or grab it hard.

That is supposed to be the way to get them off.

Never mind

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic