Is this forum now called "I lost or crashed my P3P" forum?

Keep a sense of proportion. DJI sold 650,000 units last year, and that'll be 1m this year. On here, there are far more moans, pilot complications and RTFM issues discussed than those saying "it flies brilliantly without a single problem" but, without doubt, if they were published, they would outweigh the former 10,000 to 1.
Yes there are a few hardware failures - and yes, I'd be bloody annoyed if I had one of those and I'd be banging in the door of my retailer to fix it - but the vast majority of those falling out of the sky and hitting the ground are caused by pilot error.
Your reply to me is mis-directed. The person who posted 'It has absolutely nothing to do with DJI hardware or software, it is completely one fact and one fact only' is the person who needs to understand proportionality. There are obviously issues and obviously the people who are experiencing them are the vocal one's. You and I have zero idea how wide spread the issues are as neither of us are privy to this info. I can tell you that after the massive hardware failure I experienced, DJI finally (after over a month long battle) sent me another P3A and each time out I have no confidence that my drone will return to me. I am getting errors at very short distances and I am very hesitant to go anywhere near the distances I used to. I finally took my orange pumpkin out and while it doesn't hover quite as well as the DJI I have infinitely more confidence in the drone.

Reactions: Numone
Your reply to me is mis-directed. The person who posted 'It has absolutely nothing to do with DJI hardware or software, it is completely one fact and one fact only' is the person who needs to understand proportionality. There are obviously issues and obviously the people who are experiencing them are the vocal one's. You and I have zero idea how wide spread the issues are as neither of us are privy to this info. I can tell you that after the massive hardware failure I experienced, DJI finally (after over a month long battle) sent me another P3A and each time out I have no confidence that my drone will return to me. I am getting errors at very short distances and I am very hesitant to go anywhere near the distances I used to. I finally took my orange pumpkin out and while it doesn't hover quite as well as the DJI I have infinitely more confidence in the drone.
Yeah, sorry Jnnyr - my mistake and I've removed your post from mine.
Perhaps you should return the replacement? I say this as mine has operated flawlessly for > 200 flights?

Yeah, sorry Jnnyr - my mistake and I've removed your post from mine.
Perhaps you should return the replacement? I say this as mine has operated flawlessly for > 200 flights?
You may be right but after my last ordeal with DJI I will not deal with them unless absolutely necessary. My last flight (and only the 4th since it ws replaced), I kept the drone overhead and maybe 50 feet over. I got only 150' up or so and got the 'lost signal' message and it was unresponsive. I hit the RTH and after a minute or two of painfully slow descent I regained control, landed it and put it away. I am very reluctant to take this out of it's case ever again and may just try to sell it for whatever I can. Last thing I want is this thing falling out of the sky as the first one did. Real issue is since the P4's were introduced it sent the price plummeting on the p3's.

i flew mine into the side of a mountain last week. But, that was my fault. I like the 'i crashed' posts, cause it helps the rest of us understand what NOT to do. In my case, don't fly into the side of a mountain ;)

Keep a sense of proportion. DJI sold 650,000 units last year, and that'll be 1m this year. On here, there are far more moans, pilot complications and RTFM issues discussed than those saying "it flies brilliantly without a single problem" but, without doubt, if they were published, they would outweigh the former 10,000 to 1.
Yes there are a few hardware failures - and yes, I'd be bloody annoyed if I had one of those and I'd be banging in the door of my retailer to fix it - but the vast majority of those falling out of the sky and hitting the ground are caused by pilot error.
You must have been hiding behind that tree I hit

Last edited:
Reactions: Numone
i flew mine into the side of a mountain last week. But, that was my fault. I like the 'i crashed' posts, cause it helps the rest of us understand what NOT to do. In my case, don't fly into the side of a mountain ;)
And in my case, don't be a smarty-pants and try a high speed low altitude strafing run without first seeing what is behind you.

Reactions: Numone and Digdat0
To say you are ill-informed would be putting things mildly. I've been flying for quite some time and the issues with the software/hardware is well documented. If you did know more about the topic you'd understand that the flight logs can show without any doubt issues with the hardware such as I experienced (GPS and compass failure). It's no surprise that there are issues as the technology is quite impressive to fit in such a small package (ICU, Compass, Accelerometers, Gyro's, vision positioning, etc.). To keep any bird in flight manufacturers use redundancy. Due to cost factors DJI (or anyone else) can only go so far with that. If you think that all crashes are due to user error clearly you haven't done any research whatsoever and haven't done any reading on this forum. Ever hear of GPS health? Doubt it.
You're completely wrong here, look at my message counts and my likes received compared you yours. And who's been doing more forum reading and posting? And this is just this Phantom forum were talking about, I'm also on the DJI forum a bunch. And the bottom line is probably 75% of reported Fly-Aways and Crashes are 100% of operator error, meaning the operator lost control of the drone because of inexperience or being cocky and refusing to accept the fact it was their own fault. And maybe another 20% are some sort of real issue that an experienced operator could had saved the drone, but the inexperienced person makes a critical error doing the wrong thing or doing nothing. That leaves like 5% of unexplained losses, that might be a software or hardware issue. IMHO

In the Phantom 1/2 heyday, there was a lot higher chance of something going wrong just because Naza was still in its (relative) infancy and the birds didn't have the same level of smarts they do now. Once Lightbridge hit the scene and especially when the P4 came along, both the random flyaways and the number of videos on YouTube of "phantom crashes vol X" dropped off.

You may be right but after my last ordeal with DJI I will not deal with them unless absolutely necessary. My last flight (and only the 4th since it ws replaced), I kept the drone overhead and maybe 50 feet over. I got only 150' up or so and got the 'lost signal' message and it was unresponsive. I hit the RTH and after a minute or two of painfully slow descent I regained control, landed it and put it away. I am very reluctant to take this out of it's case ever again and may just try to sell it for whatever I can. Last thing I want is this thing falling out of the sky as the first one did. Real issue is since the P4's were introduced it sent the price plummeting on the p3's.
Sounds like it's absolutely, absolutely necessary to return it; presume you don't have the same attitude with everything you buy? Personally I couldn't afford to forget about $00's worth of kit, nor would I accept a poor fix either - in fact that makes me even MORE annoyed!
As for selling it, whilst I understand your frustration of reducing RV, that is the same with every Item one purchases; once a new model / type / version is released and the the value of the previous model drops.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's absolutely, absolutely necessary to return it; presume you don't have the same attitude with everything you buy? Personally I couldn't afford to forget about $00's worth of kit, nor would I accept a poor fix either - in fact that makes me even MORE annoyed!
As for selling it, whilst I understand your frustration of reducing RV, that is the same with every Item one purchases; once a new model / type / version is released and the the value of the previous model drops.
No, I am a very loyal consumer where it comes to tech and some companies just get it right and actually care about the 'after the purchase' experience. I am an engineer by training and a tech head in general and usually have little interaction with companies after the purchase. Most issues I can solve myself. No one should ever have to go through what I did with DJI and I am fortunate that the $$ is not an issue. Just to clarify, they didn't send me a fixed drone but rather a new one. That is why I'm a bit discouraged. I may send it back....I will do a few more controlled flights and see how it fares.

You're completely wrong here, look at my message counts and my likes received compared you yours. And who's been doing more forum reading and posting? And this is just this Phantom forum were talking about, I'm also on the DJI forum a bunch. And the bottom line is probably 75% of reported Fly-Aways and Crashes are 100% of operator error, meaning the operator lost control of the drone because of inexperience or being cocky and refusing to accept the fact it was their own fault. And maybe another 20% are some sort of real issue that an experienced operator could had saved the drone, but the inexperienced person makes a critical error doing the wrong thing or doing nothing. That leaves like 5% of unexplained losses, that might be a software or hardware issue. IMHO
Sorry, but it's you who is in the wrong. Nice try in walking back your original statement where you said, and I quote "it has absolutely nothing to do with DJI hardware or software, it is completely one fact and one fact only". That says DJI is never at fault and it's only user error. Now you're throwing out bs percentages based on nothing but your feelings.

Reactions: Ben Sandwith
Sorry, but it's you who is in the wrong. Nice try in walking back your original statement where you said, and I quote "it has absolutely nothing to do with DJI hardware or software, it is completely one fact and one fact only". That says DJI is never at fault and it's only user error. Now you're throwing out bs percentages based on nothing but your feelings.
Yes I did say IMHO, meaning it's my opinion after doing much reading and dialogue with other members on this and other forms. I'm walking nothing back, and standing by what I said. That one of the leading causes of all these complaints and bitching is that people thinking these drones are a Plug & Play device, and the software in the app or AC has their back minute to minute. But that's not the case all the time, as good as it is. And my personal estimate of only 5% of the issues people post are caused by actual malfunction of hardware or software is still an over estimate. IMO!!!

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

No, I am a very loyal consumer where it comes to tech and some companies just get it right and actually care about the 'after the purchase' experience. I am an engineer by training and a tech head in general and usually have little interaction with companies after the purchase. Most issues I can solve myself. No one should ever have to go through what I did with DJI and I am fortunate that the $$ is not an issue. Just to clarify, they didn't send me a fixed drone but rather a new one. That is why I'm a bit discouraged. I may send it back....I will do a few more controlled flights and see how it fares.
Good idea. But if its not working, sling it back at them - it's your right to have a correctly functioning piece of high tech and no company deserves to get away with selling a substandard product, regardless if the customer can afford to let the matter go, but that's JMO.

Yes I did say IMHO, meaning it's my opinion after doing much reading and dialogue with other members on this and other forms. I'm walking nothing back, and standing by what I said. That one of the leading causes of all these complaints and bitching is that people thinking these drones are a Plug & Play device, and the software in the app or AC has their back minute to minute. But that's not the case all the time, as good as it is. And my personal estimate of only 5% of the issues people post are caused by actual malfunction of hardware or software is still an over estimate. IMO!!!

My guess is that @Jnnyr and you fully agree on the general assessment of the root cause reasons for reported issues. Most are pilot error (many of which the pilot denies), but some are actually component or software failures.

I think that @Jnnyr is simply pointing out that you initially stated, "It has absolutely nothing to do with DJI hardware or software, it is completely one fact and one fact only..."
I also disagreed with that portion of your initial post. It sounded so absolute.

Now you are now saying, "one of the leading causes...," which I think more clearly conveys your actual beliefs and aligns with mine as well.

Am I understanding you correctly? I apologize in advance if I've misunderstood.

Reactions: JoBe
My guess is that @Jnnyr and you fully agree on the general assessment of the root cause reasons for reported issues. Most are pilot error (many of which the pilot denies), but some are actually component or software failures.

I think that @Jnnyr is simply pointing out that you initially stated, "It has absolutely nothing to do with DJI hardware or software, it is completely one fact and one fact only..."
I also disagreed with that portion of your initial post. It sounded so absolute.

Now you are now saying, "one of the leading causes...," which I think more clearly conveys your actual beliefs and aligns with mine as well.

Am I understanding you correctly? I apologize in advance if I've misunderstood.
You pretty much have it correct in reflecting my view. But need to understand my first post that you guys keep quoting is being taken out of context. "has absolutely nothing to do with DJI Hardware or software" was a reply to a certain post. Basically saying is DJI not capable of providing stable and reliable hardware and software, which I think is a totally groundless statement. Hence my reply to that particular statement in that post.

I tend to agree that very, very few crashes are 100% hardware/software related. Also because lots of hardware and software problems are pilot-caused, even though many of those pilots are newbies or with very little insight into quads and RC workings in general to even realize it.

Has DJI lost its ability to provide stable, reliable quads and the necessary software to fly them or what? I've had my share of issues of course but stoped updating and I am fine so far. Every other thread is my drone crashed or flew away.
It is built into the firmware. As soon as a new model is released, the older ones are programmed to crash or flyaway. ;)

I am still really new to flying my P3A, but I understand how you feel! My quad is a used bird, so it could have been crashed, but I have seen 3 occasions (out of 8 flights) where the DJI app showed weak signal or magnetic interference after < 100m up and maybe 50m away from the controller. I still enjoy the heck out of it, but I still keep it really "close to home".

To add to that, and this may be user error to some extent, the Go App always tells me I need a FW update, but when I updated to the newest FW it showed a successful update (log file) and then additional update attempts reported that no FW was needed - I cannot remember the exact text..

Good luck flying!

Has DJI lost its ability to provide stable, reliable quads and the necessary software to fly them or what? I've had my share of issues of course but stoped updating and I am fine so far. Every other thread is my drone crashed or flew away.
If you don't like what you see in this forum you don't need to be here. Actually you can start your own forum. Then if something is posted that you don't like you can just delete it. It's easy to get started. Just go to Facebook.com.

Absolutely right on!! I've flown RC birds (no quad copters) for more than twenty years until I bought the Phantom 3 Professional. I'd get most of my enjoyment from the heli's. I still have two high performance heli's that I barely ever get into the air anymore on account of the DJI Phantom 3 and I don't regret a second of it.

When I'd go to the flying club and one of the members had himself a new heli, I could often tell by what he was doing as a pre-flight check that his new toy wouldn't be in the air very long that day. Once again it turned out I was right and his bird usually came down at about a hundred miles an hour, and after one huge bounce that resulted in a mangled mess of aluminum and plastic, his flying day was over. The first thing the "pilot" would look at was the radio as if a huge hammer had just jumped out of his radio and landed on his heli. Then, the cursing would start, as well as the running around like an idiot while all the time blaming the %^@!& radio for what it just did to his $1,200. heli.

The fact is, it was pilot error. A guy with little or no experience flying anything except for a fixed-wing aircraft with enough dihedral to hold a bowl of soup. Two or three weeks with a trainer aircraft and he was expert enough to go out and buy himself an expensive heli so he could show all his friends what a great pilot he was.

Now we have these very same people discovering the Phantom or any other quad copter for that matter, and with hardly a minute of training with nose-in orientation on any bird, wonder why, after only a few minutes flying their brand new Phantom, they end up crashing and then trying right away to find who to blame.

Finally, the advertising. "You can fly it right out of the box." Well, sure you can. It's dead easy to fly a Phantom or any quad copter right out of the box. Keeping it in the air however, is a whole different story. Without experience or training of some sort, it won't be in the air for long, and that's the plain truth of the matter.

The fact is, that most crashes with anything RC is often human error but very seldom will a pilot admit it.

Bud

It has absolutely nothing to do with DJI hardware or software, it is completely one fact and one fact only. These drones are becoming more popular than ever with all sorts of people purchasing them with absolutely no ability or experience flying anything. Then when they crash or lose their drone their total inability to accept fault, and needing to lash out and blame someone else, the manufacturer.

Reactions: kirk2579 and Erised

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31