Is this camera out of focus in Photo mode and OK in video?

Reaction score
I like to know if this is a common issue between P3A.

When i'm on VIDEO mode the image on my tablet is super crispy but when I switch to PHOTO mode, the image loose focus and definition(Even the photos are not too sharp)

Please, check this short video in HD1080, I'm switching between Video and Photo mode.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm a relatively new owner of my p3p (2 months) but what I believe that you are experiencing here may simply be the lag in signal as you change from one mode to the other... does this image distortion eventually correct itself if you stop flipping the switch back and forth?

I'm a relatively new owner of my p3p (2 months) but what I believe that you are experiencing here may simply be the lag in signal as you change from one mode to the other... does this image distortion eventually correct itself if you stop flipping the switch back and forth?
No, no changes, and the photos are not as good as supposed to be.

Mine does the same thing. Pictures look subpar

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Interesting. I'll have to test this..

Meanwhile.....

I did test two different tablets and noticed one was sharper than the other, no matter what model (P3A or P3P)

1a3fe838-310e-44f5-a68d-11608c23866f_zpssjttbes7.jpg

My main concern is the quality of the photos more than the quality of the live feed on the tablet, because if in the tablet the image is not fully sharp but the photo is ok, no problem. But here, the VIDEO on the tablet and in my PC is perfect, but the PHOTOS on the tablet and in my PC looks sub par.

Last edited:
I like to know if this is a common issue between P3A.

When i'm on VIDEO mode the image on my tablet is super crispy but when I switch to PHOTO mode, the image loose focus and definition(Even the photos are not too sharp)

Please, check this short video in HD1080, I'm switching between Video and Photo mode.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It's the same for me on my P3A when I toggle the switch back and forth. Back in May/June last year I used to take a photo and then switch it back to video to get the sharp FPV back. After a while I didn't bother with it anymore.

Many have also noted it in the past, but this is the first time I have heard anyone say that the actual photos on their SD card are also impacted. I haven't noticed any issue with the photos from the SD card on my P3A, though of course any photo or video cached on the tablet will always be of poorer quality.

There's far more data in a photo file especially if you use RAW - that's why you have to wait a couple of seconds as it writes to the card whereas 1080p and 4K write continuously
What you are seeing on the tablet screen has no bearing on the SD card files.

Getting a nice JPG result from RAW does depend on decent software and a bit of experience.
Lightroom is probably the best option.
For web use you can get a more than adequate screenshot from 4K or indeed 1080p
But RAW is really rather good from such a small sensor dangling below a wildly bucking and vibrating quadcopter.

27124318151_e8670df2e7_o.jpg

Reactions: Oso
I have a P3A set to mp4 and jpeg respectively. The stills from video are much better than the photos. Can anyone explain and advise how to improve photos (without raw and photoshop or manual settings)?

Reactions: JrFox
My JPegs come out great looking.. I'm unsure how you could get better other than changing some preset photo settings in the menu?? What settings do you currently have?

I only use RAW when on vacation so I can get some awesome shots to post edit. Do note that RAW photos from the P3A are roughly 18mb in size each!!! So they suck up a lot of space quick.

There's far more data in a photo file especially if you use RAW - that's why you have to wait a couple of seconds as it writes to the card whereas 1080p and 4K write continuously

Getting a nice JPG result from RAW does depend on decent software and a bit of experience.
But RAW is really rather good from such a small sensor dangling below a wildly bucking and vibrating quadcopter.

JYes! The stills from video are much better than the photos, I found that strange ! I shoot JPG + RAW. I have Lightroom but not expertise in how to use it, I will have to learn that.

Be sure you are downloading the images from the bird and not just viewing them via dji go. I had this issue thinking I could hit the preview button while connected to my P3A but could only view the higher res view once I hit the little download button. Now mine are crystal clear as expected.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

In my case I am referring to the downloaded photos from the drone. Not from DJI go.
Ref settings, I leave it on auto so cannot comment for any particular photo as the settings change. I am also never fully sure ref the adjustment wheel on the remote as you can change the settings even in auto but I presume they revert back to an auto determined optimal setting after a period of time?

JYes! The stills from video are much better than the photos, I found that strange ! I shoot JPG + RAW. I have Lightroom but not expertise in how to use it, I will have to learn that.
Please post the photo direct from phantom 3 and a screenshot from the video for comaprison and see how bad it is.

Is that your house 4WD?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31