Is this auto takeoff and landing abrupt and unstable?

Reaction score
Is this normal?

I know there is a lot of debate how good or lame auto takeoff and landing are. I have had two standards and the auto take offs and landings were very, very stable. So today, I get this pro and it acts like this (I'm more bothered by how fast and rough the auto landing is.) Is this within the range of normality? If so, then I'll stick with manual take offs and landings.

Q

lol at the glass table top on your grass... may I ask why???

Anyway - VPS - is it on or off? I'm going to guess it's ON and you (for whatever goofy reason) are landing on a glass table top and the reflections/smooth surface is screwing with the underbody sensors.

I turned VPS off and I have much smoother landings now. I'd say try that.

Reactions: curiosity
So now I think I know why it is doing this. It says "Safe to Fly" P-GPS with 14-15 satellites. But then if I click on "SAFE TO FLY" green area to look at setting I see it says Flight Mode: P-Opti which means it's not using GPS. So I'm getting a green GPS safe to fly at the top of the main screen, but inside in the settings it shows P-Opti but it won't' let me change that. It's just a report?

I just put the glass top there cause the grass goes up into the gimble. It was doing this in three other places. Acting like this. I was just using that cause I was testing the landing from like 3 feet up. Never used that before.

I get what You might be saying with that. But I took off and landed like 3 different places before making the video and it was acting like that.

I just put the glass top there cause the grass goes up into the gimble. It was doing this in three other places. Acting like this. I was just using that cause I was testing the landing from like 3 feet up. Never used that before.

The first time I landed was from about 10 feet up and it practically slammed into my patio deck using auto land. This is what freaked me out.

I get what You might be saying with that and the VPS. But I took off and landed like 3 different places before making the video and it was acting like that. To me it's acting like it's in P OPTI mode and not using GPS even when it says Safe to Fly P-GPS on the top of the app screen. But when I click on safe to fly to look at settings it doesn't say P-GPS, it says P-OPTI. Which seems odd to me. Is that normal with 15 satellites?

The first time I landed was from about 10 feet up and it practically slammed into my patio deck using auto land. This is what freaked me out.

I get what You might be saying with that and the VPS. But I took off and landed like 3 different places before making the video and it was acting like that. To me it's acting like it's in P OPTI mode and not using GPS even when it says Safe to Fly P-GPS on the top of the app screen. But when I click on safe to fly to look at settings it doesn't say P-GPS, it says P-OPTI. Which seems odd to me. Is that normal with 15 satellites?

I wouldn't worry about grass.. you really don't need to treat this thing like it's priceless art. It'll be fine.

ANywho - it shouldn't go into P OPTI mode - how old is your bird? Are you recording video during these landings? I remember a post talking about when someone hits the record button it goes into opti mode.

Reactions: Derek Holden

I get what You might be saying with that. But I took off and landed like 3 different places before making the video and it was acting like that.
your props may be out of balance

Hmmm. I will try switching them out. But this is just out of the box. Once it's in the air it flys great. But I will switch them out and see.

I get it on the priceless thing. Now that I read the description of P-OPTI that's what it is acting like. But on the main GO app screen at the top it says "Safe to Fly GPS" P-GPS and there are 15 satellites. But.. When I click on the "Safe to Fly" to look at the aircraft status it says "Flight Mode" P-OPTI. And this is very much how it is acting. Why is it saying "Safe to Fly GPS" with P-GPS on the main screen now with 17 satellites but on status it says P-OPTI??? That seems odd to me? When I turn VPS off then it went into ATTI mode. All the while normal it says P-GPS on the top of the go app.

The bird is brand now out of the box. I piddle with two standards for a couple of months and finally just got the pro so it I would get better distance. So I open it up and it acts totally unstable (P-Opti mode) as I take off and land. Meanwhile it says "P-GPS" on the top of the main go app all the time. But in status it says "P Opti, at least when it's sitting on the ground. I'll have to see if when it gets higher it's in P-GPS. Cause it acts totally fine up in the air. No drift, etc.

Look at the top left of main screen for mode. If sat signal goes down to 3 bars it can change to non-gps in status bar even if you have 15 sats.
As for the grass. Yes it will stop the gimbal dance on start up. Something you don't want.
I put mine on the grass, but lift it up a bit when I start the battery and put it down after the gimbal dance. Manual landing or hand catching is better than auto.

Is this normal?

I know there is a lot of debate how good or lame auto takeoff and landing are. I have had two standards and the auto take offs and landings were very, very stable. So today, I get this pro and it acts like this (I'm more bothered by how fast and rough the auto landing is.) Is this within the range of normality? If so, then I'll stick with manual take offs and landings.

Q
Sadly, the P3A and P3P do not auto land nearly as smoothly as does the P3S.

This question comes up often. Every time I have seen the question come up, the thread invariably becomes a bunch of posts saying to "hand catch" or "land manually it's easy" or "turn off your VPS."
I don't think I have ever seen the actual question discussed about why the P3S auto lands much softer, or why the P3P/P3A does not auto land as softly as it did on earlier firmware.

Maybe it's just that a majority of people never use auto land so there's not much interest in discussing it. Even if that's true, I'm sure there are many who do auto land. Especially new pilots.

I remember back in May 2015 when I first got my P3 that the auto landings were remarkable. Very smooth, with VPS on or off. I used to love demonstrating it to people, and it never failed to impress. Now after several FW updates it auto lands too hard, so I no longer demonstrate or use the auto land. I now consider it an emergency feature only.

Reactions: JoBe
HAND CATCH always especially on grass. Much kinder to your gimbal.
I have never used auto takeoff or landing and have no need to. The only time I would use auto land is if the battery was about to die and I hadn't reached home!
Why does every update seem to break something? That's why I have never updated mine.

HAND CATCH always especially on grass. Much kinder to your gimbal.
I have never used auto takeoff or landing and have no need to. The only time I would use auto land is if the battery was about to die and I hadn't reached home!
Why does every update seem to break something? That's why I have never updated mine.

Going to call you out on this. Can you please explain why has its hard on the Gimble? Or it this all just speculation you read somewhere else on the Internet?

I wouldn't have much expectation if you're going to be launching with a low battery like seen in the video. Dji seems to have a way with having the A/C's doing strange things when it comes to low "smart" batteries.

Btw, the auto launch and land since the get-go have been the root cause for issue. I have no trust in that feature whatsoever based on things that have taken place at different times from those who have used it. I usually don't speak out on such issues unless I have some kind of facts to go along with it, but this time I don't. The most common issue I've connected to it is in times when someone has also had a compass error or loss of gps signal. Good luck to those of you that do use it.

Doesn't it use the VPS system on auto take off initially, to get to and hold the 4' hover?

I have to say, during my initial feature testing, I used autoland on several occasions and never had a hard landing as such, but I could just be lucky.

Doesn't it use the VPS system on auto take off initially, to get to and hold the 4' hover?

I have to say, during my initial feature testing, I used autoland on several occasions and never had a hard landing as such, but I could just be lucky.

Yeah, and you may never have an issue either. If we could program the C1-C2 button on the R/C then I would use the feature, maybe.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20