Is this a scam?

Reaction score
I was browsing through indiegogo and this project happened to catch my eye. That is the pro version and the backpack offered for a stupidly low price. So low, that they must be selling that at a loss. DJI as a company has no need for a kickstarter campaign, so what gives? Have you guys seen dji do this sort of stuff before? I emailed dji support asking for confirmation, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

A phantom was not in my price range before, but with this deep of a discount, I could think of getting one.

Yes, but that campaign is claimed to be directly from the company. And I don't have $1300 to spend on a drone, but I can be talked into spending 500 :)

DJI does not sell below MAP -- which is the price listed on their website. Authorized DJI dealers aren't supposed to sell below MAP either. Those prices are well below MAP. Buyer beware.

Thanks for bursting my bubble quickly :rolleyes: Now I've got to make a decision on whether to get the standard version, or go diy.

That's a much better idea than risking $500.

Reactions: B- Scene Films
Steer clear of any Indigogo campaign that is a "Flexible Funding" campaign. They creators get the money even if they deliver nothing. It is a big risk. How could they possibly sell a P3 with 3 batteries, a backpack, etc. for $500?

EDIT: I also noticed the price is without shipping and they do not state anywhere what the shipping cost is. It also says delivery is not until March of 2016?

And why does it say the P3 is not out till next year?

"Phantom 3 Professional Everything You Need Kits with limited edition Backpacks!
-exclusive limited time pricing is available only through Indiegogo for our official product launch next year
-You Save a whopping $1,500+ compared to Phantom's regular retail price after the Indiegogo campaign!"

Everything about this says run! I sent an inquiry letter to both them and DJI.

Last edited:
LOL the delivery date is estimated at march 2016. So maybe they're going to sit on everyone's money, invest it for 6 months and then buy and send backers phantoms and hope that a price break comes by then?
that's the only way this makes any sense without a complete fly by night operation. (oh the puns!)

maybe they're going to sit on everyone's money, invest it for 6 months
I'd pay $500 just to learn that investing strategy if it really worked :)

I'd pay $500 just to learn that investing strategy if it really worked :)
Sure, just pay me 500 now, and you will be the first to know in March 2016. Never mind the fact that my name looks nigerian, or that your money is being routed through russia :D

The only thing that's slightly legitimate about the whole deal is that they claim they are dji with a verified email address. I raised a support ticket with dji alerting them about this page. If these are scammers, then its fraud to impersonate another company. If it's the real deal, hell, sign me up. Either way, I can't lose.

The only thing that's slightly legitimate about the whole deal is that they claim they are dji with a verified email address.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

The only surprise - at least to me - is that it's on Indigogo. I thought they had basic screening for scammers. I wonder why this got through.

The only surprise - at least to me - is that it's on Indigogo. I thought they had basic screening for scammers. I wonder why this got through.
There is no vetting of people making campaigns (Kickstarter runs their site differently and is more trusted). Anyone can start a Indigogo campaign and not deliver. There was a drone campaign that did just that, they sold world wide but ended up just delivering US customers and then they closed up. Indigo gets the money even if they have nothing to give you. I was part of the much publicized Indigogo Sondors electric bike. It was expensive and there was a large segment of people who said the guy would never deliver, and he had millions in funds. He did in fact deliver but I was really nervous there for a while.
And as far as an email that was 'verified' all that means is the campaign starter used an email, they sent a confirmation to the email so it is now confirmed. It could of been ANY email addy, they don't check to see if it is a DJI official addy. All Indigogo does is provide a platform house, nothing more. Caveat emptor. ;)

I got a rely from the Indigogo campaign creators. I sent a reply asking straight out if they are part of Da-Jiang Innovations Science and Technology Co., Ltd. Lets see if they reply again.

Here is the questioning so far...

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 2.03.08 PM✨.png

Why do they need 20k ?
Ask if the stress cracks have been fixed ?
Ask what kind of props come with the bird ?
I fill bad for the 7 people that went in for this . If it's like KS the 7 will be good they have 12 more days to make the 20k .
OP
You can get a used P2V for that price we have a member here that sells them .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20