Is this a Phantom 2 "fly away" or just a crap pilot? lol

Reaction score
Hey all,
I had a crash today and while at the time I wasn't sure what happened, after viewing the video, I am now more confused.. I don't think I did anything wrong, my quad suddenly lurched forward then dropped sort of sideways and backwards outta the sky..

I was flying in ATTI and coming in backwards towards a lookout I flew off and I was just coming in to land and suddenly the quad lurched forward, it lurched forward more aggressive than I thought now after viewing the vid. I think I pushed forward to stop the momentum just before the lurch, but only a little and I am pretty sure I then went to center stick to allow it to pull up. Almost instantly it lurched forward bigtime, I tried to pull it back and I don't think I moved anything else but just added a little reverse and next thing I knew my quad was in the grass and my 3 week old H3-3D gimbal busted. Do I have anything to loose trying to have it replaced under warranty as the phantom 2 seemed to have a mind of its own and tried to go through the earth to china? Or am I out a almost brand new gimbal? P.S. Nothing else broke, not even prop, just the gimbal..

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-DkswGnMF8[/youtube]

Your stick movements are too abrupt. You go forward full speed and immediately pull back. This causes VRS especially when there's wind gusts that you can hear.
Pilot error.

I would say pilot error, you give confusing info in your post, you say that you push forward to slow down, but as its flying towards you, pushing forward will make it speed up. I would keep it in GPS mode until you learn to fly better, then at least if you get confused, letting go of the sticks will stop the Phantom in its tracks and hover.

Seems like a potentially problematic area to fly, too. Not only do you get winds going up and down the mountain, but also turbulence from trees on both sides. That might or might not be a contributing factor here.

harbourside said:
I would say pilot error, you give confusing info in your post, you say that you push forward to slow down, but as its flying towards you, pushing forward will make it speed up.

Perhaps you missed the part in the original post which said that the Phantom was coming in backwards? This being the case, pushing forward on the stick will indeed make it slow down.

I have flown heli's and quads for a while and am 100% sure I didn't get confused. It hard to say what I meant and I waffled on in my post but the abrupt forward movement wasn't me. I was standing behind the quad and it was coming backwards towards me (the start of the vid) and the little forward input was me slowing the reverse movement and then it was like I pushed full forward (I didn't) and the quad took off forward so I pulled back a little to try stop it. Then it kinda tumbled backwards, sideways and down. I hope that makes more sense..

HarryT said:
harbourside said:
I would say pilot error, you give confusing info in your post, you say that you push forward to slow down, but as its flying towards you, pushing forward will make it speed up.

Perhaps you missed the part in the original post which said that the Phantom was coming in backwards? This being the case, pushing forward on the stick will indeed make it slow down.

Guilty as charged :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj