is this 4K quality or something wrong with my camera?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Could you please tell me if this quality of the pictures is OK?
When I took the pictures they look very cool, but if you open it in Photoshop and zoom to 100% (See screenshot) it looks very noisy. Too much noise.
What do you think? Maybe I expect too much?

Attachments

• DJI_0040.JPG
    DJI_0040.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 804
  • SCREENSHOT.jpg
    SCREENSHOT.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 575
4K does not measure or describe pictures. It is a measure of the resolution for video. The picture quality of the camera on the Phantom 4 is 12 megapixle .

Your close up picture of the bridge is blurry. But that is probably because the camera was sensing too much motion when it was taken. Any camera will do that. Evena profesional DSLR camera will be blurry when too much movement is sensed. The other picture from futher away of the bridge looks more normal for the Phantom 4s camera.

Your close up picture of the bridge is blurry. But that is probably because the camera was sensing too much motion when it was taken

I see. So unless there are no wind it's not possible to do a Hi-Res picture without any noise.
I was hoping to do some sunset photos

With regard to your original post, I would say that the photograph is on the borderline for what you should expect from a P4. It might be worth extracting a few jpeg images from any 4K footage you have, and see how the quality compares with a still photograph.

Noise is going to be a problem at anything above 400 ISO with this camera, although I didn't find the shot you posted particularly noisy...it was more "slightly blurry", as if the focus wasn't spot on. One way to check is to place the P4 on a firm surface, and take some photos/videos without flying. That will rule out any possibility of the shots being affected by vibration etc, and show you what the camera is capable of.

Hope the upgrading went well :)

Last edited:
Reactions: igor.L
The 4K standard is 3140 x 2860 pixels which works out to 8.2 Megapixels.

Phantom sill shots are 4000 x 3000 pixels which works out to 14 Megapixels. So, still shots have a higher resolution than 4K video.

Video is generally more forgiving. You don't see flaws in moving images as readily as you do stills.

I don't see any noise in your examples. Noise is a grainy effect that is introduced to an image. Go to this link and scroll half way down. --> A Beginner's Guide to Photography - Part 1 - Intro and ISO There is an example image showing noise at different ISO levels. The higher the ISO you use, the more noise.

It appears that your cropped image above is 'unsharp'. There is a slight blur present. This could be from motion blur, but I suspect it's just the limits of the lens and the sensor.

Zooming in 100% with still images will bring out any flaws or lack of sharpness in a lens. This is normal.

The more you zoom, the more unsharp it will be. If you crop out a small area of a large image, it will never look as good as the whole image shrunk down to fit the average computer screen.

There are editing techniques that allow you to sharpen images. Sharpen Images In Photoshop With The High Pass Filter That will render better results. Post processing still images is a science unto itself. There are many forums dedicated to it.

I was hoping so much that with this piece of new technology I can just press a button and get a proper result. How naive was I?
Well, now I have to dig in
Thanks guys

One more thing I just remembered.. You can sharpen images right in the drone..

If you go to the camera menu and choose Style, you can create a custom style with more sharpening added. In 'Style' you can vary the sharpness (the triangle) as well as the contrast and saturation... You'll notice that 'None' is 0,0,0. Landscape has +1 for sharpening (which means you get a bit more) and Soft is -1 which means you get more blur.

Landscape will result in sharper images But you can create a custom style with even more sharpening. (But too much can spoil an image).. You might want to play with these.

Did you look at the photos or videos that are in the micro SD card? The Video and photos captured on you tablet might not be as good as the original on you card. Just a thought.

One way to check is to place the P4 on a firm surface, and take some photos/videos without flying. That will rule out any possibility of the shots being affected by vibration etc, and show you what the camera is capable of.

Hope the upgrading went well :)

Upgrading went well. Thank you for your help.
We have such a horrible weather that i haven't had a chance to follow your advices about making still photos. What is very disappointing.

Reactions: deltamike
We have such a horrible weather that i haven't had a chance to follow your advices about making still photos. What is very disappointing.
Just place the Phantom on a table and photograph your room -(or the dog!)- , or else point it out of the window for longer distance shots. You don't have to start the motors to use the camera.

Glad to hear updates went well.

Terrible weather in Shropshire too. These high winds are really making me fed up.

Thanks to all for your input. This Noob couldn't do the job without you guys.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31