...is there anywhere LEGAL to fly in Los Angeles?

Reaction score
Website
www.zanderlanephotography.com
...just got my 107 and so wish to carefully remain legal when flying from now on - the FAA and the national airspace and even waivers don't seem to be the problem - it's the GROUND space that seems to be almost insurmountable...

THE CURRENT LAW FOR LOS ANGELES PARKS:

LA Municipal Code 63.44 B.8

8. No person shall land, release, take off or fly any balloon, except children toy balloons not inflated with any flammable material, helicopter, parakite, hang glider, aircraft or powered models thereof, except in areas specifically set aside therefor.

“Park” shall include every public park, roadside rest area, playground, zoological garden, ocean, beach or other recreational facility area, together with any parking lot, reservoir pier, swimming pool, golf course, court, field, bridle path, trail, or other recreational facility, or structure thereon, in the City of Los Angeles and under the control, operation or management of the Board of Recreation and Park Commissioners, the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation, the Los Angeles County Department of Beaches, or the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission. “Park” does not include any State Historic Park located within the City of Los Angeles.

...truly doesn't seem to leave much left to launch from - does anyone have any LEGAL locations worth launching from to suggest? - or am I looking at flying strictly on private property for commercial work only from now on?

...thanks for any advice!

Congrats on your Part 107!

Probably best to contact an Attorney for a real good answer that can at the very least be argued in court. My non-attorney opinion is;

1) This seems to only apply to the "City of Los Angeles" and not Los Angeles County. Meaning you could POTENTIALLY fly in other cities such as Brentwood, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, etc. (of course they may have their own rules and regs)

2) While they can ban you from taking off, landing, releasing your drone, they really can't control the airspace. That is controlled by the FAA. In theory you could launch from private property, public spaces and fly over such areas listed. Of course unless the area in LA is a FAA designated No Fly Zone. With that said, the reality is most people and local law enforcement agencies don't know or understand rules/law regarding "air space". So even though you may assert that air space is governed by the FAA and its rules, you may find yourself harassed by the public and unknowing/uneducated "officials"....

Just my non-lawyer .02...

Reactions: Falcon900
Call Drones Plus in Burbank and ask them what areas you can fly at legally. I believe he said there are three parks that allow drones and RC stuff.

You could also go to FilmLA and get a one-day permit for a few thousand along with the safety monitors and do it legally like studios do. You'll need the insurance too.

It's a mess, and why I am holding off getting my 107 as this entire thing might collapse if cities keep banning them, requiring expensive permits to operate, and people keep violating the rules. May as well put a red NFZ zone around everything in the city soon. Desert flying maybe, if BLM will allow it?

That's why we call it SmelLA :)
Home of the green environazi's that own Feinstein and all of her ban everything bills... But...The air in LA is so much cleaner then it was 30 years go. We fly along the coast outside of the NFZ's :)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
...I wind up at the beach most of the time too Reed, but now that seems to be off limits as well, til maybe somewhere north of malibu?

LA County Beach Map: goo.gl/EmpSoC

...thanks GMack, will give dronesplus a call for some 411!

...QuadBart, it seems that it is the county as well (parks, beaches, and all the pullouts, fields, trails, etc. adjacent that would constitute most, if not all, of your safe-for-LOS launch possibilities...)

...I think I may slow down and not rush quite so quickly into incorporating, getting insurance, starting marketing, etc...

...the filmla thing is the scariest - do they really want that same couple grand fee for every little real estate video I do? Is it just for shooting in public spaces, or does private property with consent get around their requirements?

...and if you think it's tough to find spots now, here's a terrifying little read from the national league of cities as to the future of regulations by state and local authorities - see pg 24

goo.gl/KXbHvm

...and I actually think it will be getting just as hard to be cleared for takeoff by BLM and other Nature stewards in the great outdoors, ala the national parks ban...

...hmmm, how about at least clearing a couple days a month for legal UAS use in these gorgeous outdoor areas - or use an inexpensive/free permit system similar to getting backcountry permits for hiking in remote wilderness areas so they don't become too crowded? - some permits available for reservation, some for walk-ups?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20