Is there any way to locate your drone after a crash?

Same happened to me -- I lost it in some trees at the far end of my property. I was able to see exactly where it was on on the map on my iPad in the Pilot app and I could even see what the camera was seeing. With those two clues I knew I was standing in the right spot but I couldn't find it for almost an hour even though it was right over my head, blinking lights and all.

Some sort of audio distress call sound feature would have made it much easier to know where to look.

When my P3 went down it because of a fly away it was pretty far and on the other side of a hill. I was flying with my phone and it still had the last known spot and showed me live where the controller was on the map compared to the drone. I followed the road until it led me to within 20 feet of where it was. Not sure if you were flying GPS or non but I was very fortunate to find mine as easily as I did.

I use the Tagg GPS system. Mine crashed into the wetlands with tall grass due to the throttle being stuck down in my P2V+. The Tagg GPS located it within a 10 foot radius, but it almost took me a hour even though it was right in front of me due to the 5-7ft tall grass. An audible alert would be an awesome idea

I use the Tagg GPS system. Mine crashed into the wetlands with tall grass due to the throttle being stuck down in my P2V+. The Tagg GPS located it within a 10 foot radius, but it almost took me a hour even though it was right in front of me due to the 5-7ft tall grass. An audible alert would be an awesome idea

I prefer the Tagg GPS over trackimo and others because it is waterproof. If it crashed into water, I can still locate it

Today I kissed my P3A goodbye. After 3 hours of searching, no luck. I was bagging my birt to make any sound, props, or something. The sad part, control was connected to the bird, I could see live view from the camera, but bird was hanging on hpthe trees, (it still there) and will stay there.
Not sure how accurate is the P3 GPS but it was showing 9m to it, with small turn shows 12-17m. 9 was the closest distance, with sound I could probably loctae a tree at least. DJI please add alarm button.
After looking things on-line found this toy
CUBE Key Finder, Phone Finder, Highest Quality Item Finder on the Planet - 1 Pack Amazon.com: CUBE Key Finder, Phone Finder, Highest Quality Item Finder on the Planet - 1 Pack: GPS & Navigation
Not sure how loud the ring is, but if DJI app can get me close enough thus toy can be used as sound device. Just an idea.
Happy flying.

Today I kissed my P3A goodbye. After 3 hours of searching, no luck. I was bagging my birt to make any sound, props, or something. The sad part, control was connected to the bird, I could see live view from the camera, but bird was hanging on hpthe trees, (it still there) and will stay there.
Not sure how accurate is the P3 GPS but it was showing 9m to it, with small turn shows 12-17m. 9 was the closest distance, with sound I could probably loctae a tree at least. DJI please add alarm button.
CUBE Key Finder, Phone Finder, Highest Quality Item Finder on the Planet - 1 Pack Amazon.com: CUBE Key Finder, Phone Finder, Highest Quality Item Finder on the Planet - 1 Pack: GPS & Navigation
Not sure how loud the ring is, but if DJI app can get me close enough thus toy can be used as sound device. Just an idea.
Happy flying.
You should go back with binoculars.

Reactions: dirtybum
Happy flying.

If it's still up the tree you should be able to find it. No doubt by now the battery will have given up the ghost, but if you know roughly where it is, maybe somebody could help you with a second phantom? Unless some winds knock it down out of the tree, it might be easier to spot from above? Don't give up! You'll be glad when you find it, even just for closure.

Yes go back and find it sir or at least post its coodinates for a scavenger hunt maybe some other lucky person can have it since you dont want it . I had a p2 go down once and posted coordinance on craigslist "free phantom " just go get it

And always put your name and phone number on the label on your phantom. I lost one and got it back six months later from a guy who found it laying in the woods. It worked perfectly the battery even still held charge I fired up as soon as I got home

Reactions: Cale262
And always put your name and phone number on the label on your phantom. I lost one and got it back six months later from a guy who found it laying in the woods. It worked perfectly the battery even still held charge I fired up as soon as I got home

I even added "REWARD" with my name and phone number just to give a little extra incentive for anyone to go through the trouble of returning it to me.

the trackimo can be activated from the app to beep. would need a GSM cell signal at the drone to work.. beep is a little faint, but is audible. 3G SIM into the phantom would be great, even as an add-on module (which is essentially what the flytrex is, but if it could be incorporated more cleanly would be better .. maybe flytrex wants to sell to DJI or that was the vision?).

My friend and I we spend 4 hours searching. No luck :( going to get another one and come back. DJI please add some noise button, I know you need sell more but it's not nature friendly to have battery acid liking in the forest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flytrex 3G+ and Marco Polo (I'm paranoid!). Thinking the Flytrex would get me close enough for me to use Marco Polo which only has about a .2 mile range but will work even if the battery comes out. I have long suggested that the after-market apps (such as Litchi) incorporate an audible option.

Reactions: davestern2
Maybe a smoke detector alarm with a mercury switch that would go off when its upside down, at least it would work half the time. :D
Fastsmiles,
That is a good point!
If it crashes and maybe before, the phantom can probably detect it.
The other day I was flying with a Blade. It lost a prop and made almost a 360 backwards flip before it hit the ground. Losing props is one of the causes of a crash. Also is hitting something. The sensors could easily identify this. The AC could send a warning message to the OP with detailed information about its location and give audio and visual signals.

Don't give up. I lost mine in a swampy area in Central Floria last September. I hit the top of a tree and tumbled to the base of the tree. I eventually located it upside down (so the vents were exposed to falling rain) 12 days later.

I used the last location from the DJI GO app and dropped a pin on that location using my MAC desktop. I then texted that location to my iPhone. I grabbed some long pants and a bottle of Gatorade and set out. I used the iPhone to "home in" on the last known location. I located the quad in about an hour.

I used Clorox wipes to clean it up. Separated the hull and used gentle compressed air to drive out any moisture. I let it sit in the AC for 3-4 days. I figured no way would this work but even the battery was good! Out of an abundance of caution I replaced the four props.

To be honest, when I set out trying to revive the hull I assumed the hull, camera and electronics where lost to the Florida rain/humidity. I was going through the motions to see if I could get the memory card back; I was already plotting to order a new quad.

Attachments

• IMG_6529.jpg
    IMG_6529.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 401
  • IMG_6531.PNG
    IMG_6531.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 434
  • IMG_6527.PNG
    IMG_6527.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 359
Which model is this? The one I saw is meant for pets (to be weared in the colar) hence it's quite big for the P3. Did you modify it? Does it have an app similar to Trackimo? :)
I have both the pet tracker version and the 'drone' version. I actually like the pet tracker one - it's a bit larger but easily fits on the frame. The drone version has this little tiny switch on it that I need a pair of tweezers to activate. The pet version has something I can deal with with without additional appliances.

If your drone is the p3 advanced model and is going down because not enough batt to make it home or crashed it into something but you still have signal to your tablet/phone :

1: Hit the tear drop with the H in it (on the left side of screen just under the return home tab)

2: Select the paper airplane with H beside it, click OK in the pop up box in middle of screen.

3: Tap the google map to enlarge (bottom right corner)

providing you have the gps turned on on your tablet/phone you should see yourself (round blue dot) and the drone (red paper airplane) on the google map. As you move the blue dot will move. Use this to go to your drone.

Even if the battery goes dead in the drone before you get to it the app will still get you to it. (This will work without the phone/tablet attached to the RC after steps 1-3 have been followed)

I think this works on the p3p as well.

It is a good idea to always have your gps ON in the tablet/phone and make sure the google map is clearly showing the area you plan to fly in (clear when you zoom in), yourself and the drone before take-off.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj