Is there any Quad on the market that can fly more then 20 mins??

Reaction score
I love my P3A and I am having alot of fun with it and will certainly continue to have fun with it. that being said in the future I would love to acquire a Quad that can fly for longer. I like the distance thing but I would also like to fly some distance and then play for a while. I have seen no mod of the P3 battery that appeals to me as most have major weight issues obviously placing major strain on the motors and of they involve tearing the drone apart which I am not interested in doing. Anyway if someone knows of a quad with simliar capabilities as the P3 but it can also fly for like an hour please point me in that direction.

I think the DJI Matrice 100 can handle longer flight time, as it can support x2 batteries I believe. Its a quad, but very expensive as you need to add all (most) of the accessories that come with your P3A like GPS, Lightbridge..there is even a 360 degree anti collision module.

Maybe when (if) the next generation Phantom comes out it will have better endurance.

Happy flying.

An hour? I wish!
Maybe you should look into a R/C fixed wing aircraft - some of those blokes are flying 80 miles or more lol.
I hear yah Wibble I know its likely a crazy suggestion and keep in mind I am still blown away by what the P3 can do as in my wildest drams I would never have expected I would get 4383 metres out of any quad. That being said assuming I had deep pockets I was just wondering if such a beast was on the market

I think the DJI Matrice 100 can handle longer flight time, as it can support x2 batteries I believe. Its a quad, but very expensive as you need to add all (most) of the accessories that come with your P3A like GPS, Lightbridge..there is even a 360 degree anti collision module.

Maybe when (if) the next generation Phantom comes out it will have better endurance.

Happy flying.
I looked at the Matrice but it says maximum flying time hovering was 40 mins and that was dependant on the load. I am guessing they tested it naked and if all they got was 40 mins I am guessing its likely not much diff then the P3 with camera attached

You can if you get into custom building but they get a lot bigger and heavier.
They are working on fuel cells. There is a team bout to launch a drone with a 300km range for use in search and rescue in the North Sea but again so much bigger and heavier.

I looked at the Matrice but it says maximum flying time hovering was 40 mins and that was dependant on the load. I am guessing they tested it naked and if all they got was 40 mins I am guessing its likely not much diff then the P3 with camera attached

There is a bloke on here called Mohan de Silva who lives quite near me. He has just posted a new video on youtube showing a 15 mile flight with a Matrice. Stupid name why didint they call it the Matrix???

There is a bloke on here called Mohan de Silva who lives quite near me. He has just posted a new video on youtube showing a 15 mile flight with a Matrice. Stupid name why didint they call it the Matrix???
Interesting I will try and find that. I am still amazed with all the amazing technology gone into these P3's that no one especially DJI has come up with a way to enhance the battery for longeer flight times?? I think someone with the know how could make alot of money ....

Battery technology just isnt there. They have pushed it far but not far enough. You will never ever get the sort of power you can out of a liquid fuel. Maybe hybrid quads are the way to go? Use an i/c engine to charge a smaller battery. Noise will be a big problem then though.
Fuel cells are perfect for quads if they ever perfect smaller ones.

Mohan's video - hope he doesn't mind me posting the link but I am a great fan of his - he has been doing long range flights before most with his P3.

That is Port Talbot steel works he is flying past. Still one of the biggest in the World. Looks awesome at night and was the inspiration for Ridley Scott's industrial nightscapes in many of his older films.

Battery technology just isnt there. They have pushed it far but not far enough. You will never ever get the sort of power you can out of a liquid fuel. Maybe hybrid quads are the way to go? Use an i/c engine to charge a smaller battery. Noise will be a big problem then though.
Fuel cells are perfect for quads if they ever perfect smaller ones.
Thx wibble!! I was just throwing it out there but honestly very happy with my P3 and by the time I bore of it I am guessing there will be something out there that appeals to me..... Keeping in mind I was more then happy with my AR 2.0 and thought that was the bomb for almost 2 years lol

These are the sort of things people are doing with fixed wing. 25 mile flights are common and many people fly a lot further.
I am tempted but none of the footage I have seen is as stable as you get from a good quad.

I'm interested in the Chroma from Horizon Hobbies. It goes 30 min.

I love my P3A and I am having alot of fun with it and will certainly continue to have fun with it. that being said in the future I would love to acquire a Quad that can fly for longer. I like the distance thing but I would also like to fly some distance and then play for a while. I have seen no mod of the P3 battery that appeals to me as most have major weight issues obviously placing major strain on the motors and of they involve tearing the drone apart which I am not interested in doing. Anyway if someone knows of a quad with simliar capabilities as the P3 but it can also fly for like an hour please point me in that direction.
The Dji Matrice 100 with 2 batteries but its much more expensive

WTF??? Matrice is italian, I like that name so much...;)

I got a very comfortable 18 minutes with 25% at landing from my P2 and the 6000mAh Limefuel batteries. I probably could have cracked 20 minutes if I'd run them down lower and kept moving ... contrary to popular belief, your sweet spot for lowest power use is NOT hovering - a force called "translational lift" comes into play when air moves across your rotors from the craft moving through the air (or if there's a breeze you can get the effect too). If you balance it right, you can get a sweet spot where you get maximum lift for least power drain, and could potentially extend your flight. A straight out hover isn't generally the least power consumption.

Reactions: Dadcat
There are some very light weight scratchbuilt models that can fly over 2 hours, but not carrying a camera and gimbal. I have built one in a Dex shell that would fly 47 minutes, but again with out camera.
IMG_20150824_140641278_HDR.jpg
dex60 14 props.jpg

To get long range flights, you really need lift from a fixed wing and forward movement. I expect to see some hybrid models soon that vertical take off and landing but fly like a plane once they are in the air. Sony is working on such a model:
Watch Sony's prototype drone do a vertical takeoff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues