is there an infared camera that will work on a Phantom 4?

As in see in the dark or more of the art style of Infrared photography?
I converted my P4 to IR only when I got a P4P.

Step by Step video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

First Video

Since the silicon detectors go out to about 900 nanometers, I assume that you did some creative filtering. Would you share some details?

I've done conversions on handheld cameras, it typically involves removal of the IR Cut filter from the image sensor; these sensors are normally sensitive into the 700-900nm range. Remember, the IR focal point is different than for visible light so you will need to rely on manual focus to compensate and you will also need to adjust exposure. Additionally, you will want an IR Pass filter like a Hoya R72 or Wratten 89B that passes IR but blocks visible spectrum light.

Is there an infared camera that will work on a phantom 4?
Do you mean near IR (night vision) or thermal images? The latter uses a bolometer. I saw a Yuneec typhoon last week with a thermal camera.

We were discussing near infrared; thermal imaging concerns the long part of the IR spectrum (9,000-14,000 nm) and as noted utilizes a totally different type of sensor technology.

As in see in the dark or more of the art style of Infrared photography?
I converted my P4 to IR only when I got a P4P.

Step by Step video

First Video
As in seeing heat generated from feral hogs which are very destructive to farmers

I think you would need a FLIR instead of IR. My mod doesn't do heat.

Since the silicon detectors go out to about 900 nanometers, I assume that you did some creative filtering. Would you share some details?
Other than a straight BW camera setting in the P4, nothing special.

I've done conversions on handheld cameras, it typically involves removal of the IR Cut filter from the image sensor; these sensors are normally sensitive into the 700-900nm range. Remember, the IR focal point is different than for visible light so you will need to rely on manual focus to compensate and you will also need to adjust exposure. Additionally, you will want an IR Pass filter like a Hoya R72 or Wratten 89B that passes IR but blocks visible spectrum light.

The replacement lens screws into the camera and has the cut filter already removed. I adjusted the focus of the difference in IR by trial and error by adjusting how far to screw the lens in. Took about 20 minutes with some focus targets and then taking it outside to fine tune it.

I also have done a few of the handheld cameras. First was an old Nikon P990 with the twist body. (I miss that camera) I was surprised how easy.

FLIR/Bolometers are becoming economical attractive. In the past they needed cooling, but now they use low cost MEMS technology. It's a matter of time before you can buy a cellphone with a buit-in thermal camera.
FLIR sells the DJI Zenmuse XT Thermal Camera for the inspire.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers