Is there an easy and cheap DIY wi-fi video downlink antenna mod?

Reaction score
I know ARGtec one is good but it's a bit expensive. I'm happy with the radio range as I don't want to fly beyond visual range, however video feed is glitchy and stuttering at times, and that annoys me. It would be logical that I could just order 2 cheap Chinese 2.4Ghz antennas (for like $6 each) and drill 2 holes in the controller to install SMA sockets to just improve on a stock small square internal antennas that are used for video downlink. But I could not find any info on something like that. All posts and videos I could find are only about windsurfer mod that only improves RC range, not video link on P3S, or expensive mod kits.

Which antennas would work if I just want to improve video downlink? Has anyone done this? Should be easy, but I need to understand what antennas to get for this. 2.4Ghz, right? Flat panels, or tall rods, or clover leaves? What dB rating? Any advice appreciated.

I agree with Matts and I got mine directly from the Alfa Dealer that's listed in the Video I linked below because he cuts the price a bit when you order two and they are of good quality = NOT Chinese junk...
Don't skimp on the Cables either, get good Cables because they aren't expensive either ($8.99 for 2 with free shipping)...
They DEFINITELY work better than the OEM WiFi...
Rick (Link in Matts post) X-ed his Carry Handle and enlarged those holes to mount his but they'll be at a downward angle (and you'll loose your Carry Handle) if you do that... Others drilled holes higher up where the original WiFi are and mounted them there... I decided to make a bar = 1/16" thick aluminum to mount mine (I didn't like the idea of the Cables being mounted on a "curved area of the controller") but that takes a bit more work because the Cables start outside of the case and that makes it a bit more difficult to attach them to the Transmitter inside the case (but I did it with no issues)...
Link to Rick's Tutorial and it has Link to the better Cable at the bottom of his notes ($8.99 EBay link)...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
My 1st Bar that obviously wasn't cleaned up before this picture was taken, and how/where my cable go into the Case...
AlfaAnt-7.jpg

Reactions: Matts175

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan