Is there an easy and cheap DIY wi-fi video downlink antenna mod?

Reaction score
I know ARGtec one is good but it's a bit expensive. I'm happy with the radio range as I don't want to fly beyond visual range, however video feed is glitchy and stuttering at times, and that annoys me. It would be logical that I could just order 2 cheap Chinese 2.4Ghz antennas (for like $6 each) and drill 2 holes in the controller to install SMA sockets to just improve on a stock small square internal antennas that are used for video downlink. But I could not find any info on something like that. All posts and videos I could find are only about windsurfer mod that only improves RC range, not video link on P3S, or expensive mod kits.

Which antennas would work if I just want to improve video downlink? Has anyone done this? Should be easy, but I need to understand what antennas to get for this. 2.4Ghz, right? Flat panels, or tall rods, or clover leaves? What dB rating? Any advice appreciated.

I agree with Matts and I got mine directly from the Alfa Dealer that's listed in the Video I linked below because he cuts the price a bit when you order two and they are of good quality = NOT Chinese junk...
Don't skimp on the Cables either, get good Cables because they aren't expensive either ($8.99 for 2 with free shipping)...
They DEFINITELY work better than the OEM WiFi...
Rick (Link in Matts post) X-ed his Carry Handle and enlarged those holes to mount his but they'll be at a downward angle (and you'll loose your Carry Handle) if you do that... Others drilled holes higher up where the original WiFi are and mounted them there... I decided to make a bar = 1/16" thick aluminum to mount mine (I didn't like the idea of the Cables being mounted on a "curved area of the controller") but that takes a bit more work because the Cables start outside of the case and that makes it a bit more difficult to attach them to the Transmitter inside the case (but I did it with no issues)...
Link to Rick's Tutorial and it has Link to the better Cable at the bottom of his notes ($8.99 EBay link)...
My 1st Bar that obviously wasn't cleaned up before this picture was taken, and how/where my cable go into the Case...
AlfaAnt-7.jpg

Reactions: Matts175

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4