Is there a way to measure distance from drone to structure?

Reaction score
NY just put in a law that you cannot fly within 1000 ft of a prison. Is there a down and dirty way to figure how far away the drone is if I'm shooting in the area? I've seen some laser tools but they are very expensive.
Regards... Steve

The B4UFLY app has a tool that will measure from point a to b. Not exactly what your looking for but better than nothing. That said, I would also expect Geo fencing to already have many prisons on record. Having worked at one for over 30 years I would advise giving them a wide berth. They consider drones a serious issue or concern.

Last edited:
I guess try to imagine the length of ten football fields

Only if the fields are 100 ft long. I think you meant about THREE football fields (900 ft.)

NY just put in a law that you cannot fly within 1000 ft of a prison. Is there a down and dirty way to figure how far away the drone is if I'm shooting in the area? I've seen some laser tools but they are very expensive.
Regards... Steve

I probably would just call up Google Earth and draw a 1000' radius with the measuring tool and then print it out to see where you can't fly before going out to the location. Just give yourself a wider berth because a 1000' radius is from the center of the prison, not the property line. Actually, I take it back. That won't work very well. Would have to measure 1000' off each property boundary line depending on the shape of the property.

Screen Shot 03-21-17 at 04.45 PM.PNG

Last edited:
Go to Cabela's and purchase yourself a range finder like Hunter's or golfers use to determine range. I purchased a Simmonds from SportsmanGuide.com which is good to a 1,000 yards or a 1,000 meters and in between.

I would use Google Earth to get my safe flying area.

1000' radius is from the center of the prison, not the property line.

That's not correct, just as with airfields, safe distance is measured from boundary - it has to be if you think about it, runways are miles long.

If you are within 1000 feet you should have the prison in plain sight and be well aware of it.
It's probably a good idea to just make sure you are well beyond 1000 feet and not try to fly close to 1000 feet.
Use Google Earth and find out where half a mile (or more) back is.
And guards/police aren't going to be very impressed if they found you only 1100 feet back.

That's not correct, just as with airfields, safe distance is measured from boundary - it has to be if you think about it, runways are miles long.
What he meant was the Google Earth circle is measuring from center and so even adding 100ft margin likely wouldn't be enough to account for distance from center to property line.

Reactions: MapMaker53 and Loz
Geo puts either a 1 mile or two around prisons as a NFZ. Airmap will show them too as restrictions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20