Is There a Portable Tablet That Works Better In Sunlight?

Reaction score
I am getting ready to use a very old Ipad in a home made sun box for flight and so far turning the pad screen up to high and hiding it in the box appears to work quite well in full sun unless the sun is at my back. At that point the screen surface reflects like a mirror in the sun box and I can see my face in the screen. This pad was my Mom's until she passed away 2 years back and I eventually plan to upgrade. Is there a portable pad available with a frosted screen or one touted to work better in sunlight? Thanks...

Re: Is There a Portable Tablet That Works Better In Sunlight

you can can a matte self adhesive screen protector that can go on most tablets.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S. I started with my Galaxy S3 phone, realized it was too small and not bright enough, tested out an iPad Mini w/Retina display and it too washed out in sunlight, sent it back for refund, got a Tab S and it works great. The adaptive display with the Super AMOLED display is the best I've seen and that's without using any kind of sunshade

Reactions: pavelppp888

maybe you have different type of sun where you are.

i have both the iPad mini (1st gen) and the galaxy tab s 8.4.

the tab is bright but in sunlight i am not convinced its any better than the iPad mini.

i have fitted a matte screen on the tab and it does stop the reflections.

Though granted it does scale the programme correctly on the display.

rexster314 said:
Samsung Galaxy Tab S. I started with my Galaxy S3 phone, realized it was too small and not bright enough, tested out an iPad Mini w/Retina display and it too washed out in sunlight, sent it back for refund, got a Tab S and it works great. The adaptive display with the Super AMOLED display is the best I've seen and that's without using any kind of sunshade

Not disagreeing with you, but I too got the Tab S because of the Super AMOLED screen and I did not see much improvement over anything else. I could still see my reflection better than I could see the app. I returned it and bought the less expensive Tab 4 8" and I would say it's equal to the Tab S in this application. I have read about a homemade sunshade that angles the tablet just slightly up so it reflects the flat-black inside of the sunshade. That will be my next project for my Phantom, when it warms up around here...

:D
If you're in Texas you will want a sunshade for whatever you use for FPV. Phones and tablets/pads will overheat and shutdown in direct sunlight. I've had this happen when ambiant temps were in the 90s. The iPad mini with a Hoodi sunshade works very well.
This is my setup for Winter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 916

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20