Is there a Phantom Darwin award?

As far as we no they could could be making drones out of lead like the dog toys that killed a lot of people's pets that were made in china scary tthought

OK, little bit different but I get the point. I do have a firearm and sadden that it happens. I always look down the barrel before I put the safety on.

Think of this as like a car. You turn the key to the on position before you can continue to start the engine. You then have to tell it to move (put in the direction and accelerate). At anytime you can cancel these procedures.
This unit should not be able to start a flight with out communication from the primary controller.
There will be some serious injures from this.
Just poking fun here but some of us older members may remember when there were far less safety gizmos on cars, and if left in gear, a standard shift automobile would take off running if you simply turned the key to the start position (read 'GO' button) which pokes a few holes in your scenario. ;) But I am sure you have learned your lesson the hard way and won't soon forget it. My rule is if it's inside with a battery installed = props off, no exceptions.

Reactions: dirkclod
Why didn't you let it complete it's mission? :confused:
I assume all the waypoints were located within the same room, and at an appropriate altitude.

Me be poking a little fun too. :D
Thanks for sharing, I'm smarter now. Hope you heal up soon.

Reactions: dirkclod
I don't think you could be as dumb as Enrique Iglesias, reached up to grab an Inspire during a concert recently [ apparently he has done this before] and got a handful of blades for his trouble.

OK, little bit different but I get the point. I do have a firearm and sadden that it happens. I always look down the barrel before I put the safety on.

Think of this as like a car. You turn the key to the on position before you can continue to start the engine. You then have to tell it to move (put in the direction and accelerate). At anytime you can cancel these procedures.
This unit should not be able to start a flight with out communication from the primary controller.
There will be some serious injures from this.
Cars are not designed to go off on autonomous missions. Phantoms are. That is the whole point of waypoints. The only injuries from by this feature will be self inflicted. Like the author of this thread. If all else fails read the instructions

How did you know that?

I don't. I made a safe gun handling assumption. ;)

And why put a safety on if rack is open, even if possible?

True, not necessary.

None that I own allow safety on when open....

I think the safety/decocker on my PX4 Storm might work empty, without a mag, not certain.
Your point is valid though, some will not.

Common sense, an uncommon virtue.

I hope there's no permenant damage, Monkeyleg.

RodPad, why do you look down the barrel before engaging the safety?
It was intended to be funny.

There is a correct procedure for starting a car. If you don't follow it, bad things can happen.

The same applies to Phantoms.
I agree

Cars are not designed to go off on autonomous missions. Phantoms are. That is the whole point of waypoints. The only injuries from by this feature will be self inflicted. Like the author of this thread. If all else fails read the instructions
IMO, Phantoms should not. There will be many more injuries and not always self inflicted. This unit can fly without the remote powered on. That means it has potential to fly anytime it is powered on with or without setting way points, the remote should be the only thing to start the motors.

Just poking fun here but some of us older members may remember when there were far less safety gizmos on cars, and if left in gear, a standard shift automobile would take off running if you simply turned the key to the start position (read 'GO' button) which pokes a few holes in your scenario. ;) But I am sure you have learned your lesson the hard way and won't soon forget it. My rule is if it's inside with a battery installed = props off, no exceptions.

I have not learned any lesson, except not share my safety concerns on a product that has the potential to start its motors and lift off by itself. Inside or Outside even with no signal from it's remote control. I do recall old cars. This link should be our family's Model-T camper which I have drove. I was comparing to today's technology.

https://www.facebook.com/WAAAMuseum...1433361178./10153048066938544/?type=3&theater

I have not learned any lesson, except not share my safety concerns...

Rodpad, you sound a lot like me: my wife says she is the only one who can really tell when I am being sarcastic! You too must be an engineer - we think with the wrong side of the brain they say!

Keep posting! It is fun to try to poke fun at you when it is like poking fun at me!

Here's one that will get some: I always turn on my safety on my glocks when I chamber a round. And I always have my EDC and home defense Glock chambered, ready to go.....

I never fly inside without putting heavy gloves on first.

Rodpad, you sound a lot like me: my wife says she is the only one who can really tell when I am being sarcastic! You too must be an engineer - we think with the wrong side of the brain they say!

Keep posting! It is fun to try to poke fun at you when it is like poking fun at me!

Here's one that will get some: I always turn on my safety on my glocks when I chamber a round. And I always have my EDC and home defense Glock chambered, ready to go.....

Well they're not much good if you don't. ;)

Thanks, I needed some positives.

Problem is you can always now as always "defeat" or "change" original design... ala PhantomPilots

An actual Darwin Award from this year............. Man Customizes Car Ignition Sequence To His Peril
Confirmed True by Darwin
(18 February 2014, United Kingdom) Scott McKimmie's purple Volkswagen Cabriolet would not be considered roadworthy by most people, but to a handy mechanic a flaw can be considered a security feature. Early on Tuesday morning outside The Phoenix pub in Corby, the 39-year-old started the 1998 Cabriolet in his usual unusual way -- he put the car in gear and reached beneath the hood (the 'bonnet') and touched two wires together to create an ignition spark.

Unfortunately Scott failed to remember that he had not set the handbrake. To make matters worse he had modified the purple VW to run with a fast idle to prevent stalling. As black wire touched red wire the engine turned over and started, and the car lurched forward and knocked him over. Due to the fast idle the vehicle continued on its merry way, inflicting 36 "separate injuries" on the unfortunate man as -- like the Duracell/Energizer bunny -- it kept going and going.

As demonstrated in a police investigation video shown to the court, the engine modifications allowed the car to move forward without stalling when it was in first, second or third gear! Coroner Anne Pember recorded a verdict of accidental death with this summary: "It is quite clear that the cause of this tragedy was the unusual starting method Mr. McKimmie used to start his car."

Last edited:

I to have my "safety on - which is 1/4" double trigger pull on the Glock..... And yes the EDC or CWC paper I consider de·tente

Darwin Awards lol, great site. My Jeep will start in gear as I disabled the safety, but for a reason. If you are hanging off of a hillside and stall out I don't have to hold the brake pedal down like my life depends on it (usually does), push in the clutch, start it then release the clutch while at the same time unbrake and gass it all at the same time. With it disabled I just turn the key in gear and it starts climbing as it starts up so I can play another day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31