Is there a list of differences between Phantom 1 and 2?

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly I apologize as this question has probably been asked before, but I've done a lot of searching on the web and I can't find a decent answer ;-(

I'm trying to work out whether its worth buying the Phantom 2 or whether a Phantom 1 would be OK.

Looking at the specs on DJI's site, the tech spec pages are laid out very differently so its hard to compare, however as far as I can tell

The Phantom 2 has ...

Longer flight time (possibly 10 mins more)
Self tightening props
Video Downlink Support
CAN-Bus Expansion Module

I've also watched a YouTube video that seemed to imply that the joysticks on the Phantom 2 are auto centering, where as the Phantom 1 they are not. However it wasn't clear whether they were comparing an old phantom 1 with a newer Phantom 1 or whether it really was a Phantom 2.

And another YouTube video where they said the the Low Battery Leds were now on the bottom (of the Phantom 2) and were harder to see (I'm not sure how visible any of them would be in strong sunlight)

Prices of batteries seem to be a lot more for the Phantom 2, and personally I don't like propriety batteries and proprietary chargers, I'd be highly likely to just replace even phantom 2 batteries with a non proprietary pack (and charger) if possible.

Anyway, If anyone could shed some more light on the differences and whether the Phantom 1 is still worth buying as its cheaper, or whether its always best to go for the new model. i.e the Phantom 2.

Thanks....

Rodger, you have most of the info correct.
There are quite a few differences between P1 and p2 (this will probably confuse you even more) Yes P2 has longer flight times due to larger batteries, does have self tightening props. The later model Phantoms (including P1s) have self centering joy sticks - only the early P1s didn't.
LEDS on bottom of shell are on P2 and are incorporated into ESC lights. The P1 LED is in the rear and are easier to see in daylight (at least when on the ground)

Re: batteries on P2 - No you cannot convert to std batteries as the "smart battery" has propietary contacts on it that need to be in contact with control module of P2 to function.

There are other differences also - P1s & base P2 use 2.4 ghz for TX control wheras the FC40 and P2 Vision use 5.8ghz for Tx and 2.4 for video TX.

Best bet is to download all 4 of the user manuals if you want to compare apples to apples. Currently I have an original P1 that I've converted to a "P1 hybrid" (uses either type batteries and have modified in many ways) but if I was shopping for one - I'd go the P2 w/Zenmuse gimbal option for my needs.

Many others will chime in on FC40 and Vision

Thanks EMCSQUAR

I'm a bit of a hardware hacker, so perhaps the Phantom 1 would suit me better.

The only thing that strikes me as important is the self tightening props on the P2.

I'll download the manuals...

Ummm. Definitely a lot to think about.

Cheers

Roger

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl